Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
- Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Princess Cruise Deals
- Write a Princess Cruise Review
- Find Your Princess Roll Call
See posts about:
Caribbean Princess
Diamond Princess
Island Princess
Royal Princess
Sun Princess

Coral Princess
Emerald Princess
Ocean Princess
Ruby Princess
Star Princess

Crown Princess
Golden Princess
Pacific Princess
Sapphire Princess

Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Regal Princess
Sea Princess

Old October 21st, 2008, 12:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default How much carry-on luggage can you take on board?

(The board search keeps going down...and there's no specifics about this on the Princess website)

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how much "hand" luggage you can bring with you on board during embarkation?

We have a 4 ft. long mesh duffle bag made for the snorkel fins, and we really don't want to leave it with the porter. Do you think we would be allowed to carry it on board? (We're also taking a backpack and a large purse onboard.)

If we have to, we could pack the fins inside the big luggage, but it takes up a huge amount of packing space.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!!!
10/11 - RCI Oasis

Old October 21st, 2008, 12:57 AM
5,000+ Club

The only limitation is it being able to go through the scanner. At most embarkation ports there is scanning before one boards operated by the port authorities. On some there is an additional scanning at the ship just after the gangway where your IDs photo for the keycard is taken. At worst, you may have to remove it from the duffel bag at the second scanning if there is one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyvanner View Post
(The board search keeps going down...and there's no specifics about this on the Princess website)

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how much "hand" luggage you can bring with you on board during embarkation?

We have a 4 ft. long mesh duffle bag made for the snorkel fins, and we really don't want to leave it with the porter. Do you think we would be allowed to carry it on board? (We're also taking a backpack and a large purse onboard.)

If we have to, we could pack the fins inside the big luggage, but it takes up a huge amount of packing space.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!!!

Old October 21st, 2008, 02:27 AM
5,000+ Club

Why not check it.... It is inconvenient for those around you to have to maneuver around your's or other people's excess luggage. The idea of checking it at port arrival is to avoid people dragging around a lot of "stuff" in confined and crowded areas. This includes not only the port area but the gangway and ship after boarding. It is crazy enough with all the people boarding, crew hauling bags, crowded elevators.........

What we all should be carrying on is our "valuables" in hand baggage and swim fins would not qualify in my mind.
Mar 91 Starward, Eastern Caribbean
Dec 91 Dawn Princess, Mexican Rivera
Jul 99 Nieuw Amsterdam, Alaska (Northbound)
Aug 01 SS Independence, Hawaii My Independence Photos
Apr 02 Royal Princess, Panama Canal
Apr 03 Dawn Princess, Trans Pacific / Hawaii
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Western Caribbean
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean
Nov 03 Ryndam, Mexican Rivera
Apr 04 Zenith, Southern Caribbean
Sep 04 Regal Princess, Canada / New England My Regal Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Cook Islands My Tahitian Princess - Cook Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Marquesas Islands My Tahitian Princess - Marquesas Photos
Apr 05 Dawn Princess, Panama Canal Ft Laud to SF My Dawn Princess - Panama Canal Photos
May 05 Mississippi Queen, Mississippi River My Mississippi Queen Photos
Sep 05 Grand Princess, Eastern Med / Greek Isles My Grand Med / Greek Isle Photos
Apr 06 Dawn Princess, CA Coast / Mexican Rivera My Dawn Princess Mex Rivera Photos
Aug 06 Golden Princess, British Isles My Golden Princess Photos
Feb 07 Sapphire Princess, Australia / New Zealand My Sapphire Princess Photos
Jan 10 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Rivera

Upcoming Cruises
TBD

Old October 21st, 2008, 08:07 AM
40,000+ Club

You can carry as much as you want on board as long as it will fit in the scanner. The scanner is the same size as ones used at airports.

Old October 21st, 2008, 08:08 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If you have something that's breakable I can see your concern. We always board with our suitcases that are 23" wide & it fits in their scanner with no problem. I'm assuming that you bag is probably somewhat longer but I doubt if it's wider. They'll probably try & steer you to checking the bag but just explain your reasoning.

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul929207 View Post
You can carry as much as you want on board as long as it will fit in the scanner. The scanner is the same size as ones used at airports.
Sure....Drag your house aboard if it fits through the scanner.

Goes right along with the attitude of the folks who refuse to check their luggage at the airport and schlep it all aboard 'cuz they don't want to wait at the baggage claim.
Mar 91 Starward, Eastern Caribbean
Dec 91 Dawn Princess, Mexican Rivera
Jul 99 Nieuw Amsterdam, Alaska (Northbound)
Aug 01 SS Independence, Hawaii My Independence Photos
Apr 02 Royal Princess, Panama Canal
Apr 03 Dawn Princess, Trans Pacific / Hawaii
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Western Caribbean
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean
Nov 03 Ryndam, Mexican Rivera
Apr 04 Zenith, Southern Caribbean
Sep 04 Regal Princess, Canada / New England My Regal Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Cook Islands My Tahitian Princess - Cook Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Marquesas Islands My Tahitian Princess - Marquesas Photos
Apr 05 Dawn Princess, Panama Canal Ft Laud to SF My Dawn Princess - Panama Canal Photos
May 05 Mississippi Queen, Mississippi River My Mississippi Queen Photos
Sep 05 Grand Princess, Eastern Med / Greek Isles My Grand Med / Greek Isle Photos
Apr 06 Dawn Princess, CA Coast / Mexican Rivera My Dawn Princess Mex Rivera Photos
Aug 06 Golden Princess, British Isles My Golden Princess Photos
Feb 07 Sapphire Princess, Australia / New Zealand My Sapphire Princess Photos
Jan 10 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Rivera

Upcoming Cruises
TBD

Last edited by chasetf; October 21st, 2008 at 08:13 PM.

Old October 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasetf View Post
Sure....Drag your house aboard if it fits through the scanner.

Goes right along with the attitude of the folks who refuse to check their luggage at the airport and schlep it all aboard 'cuz they don't want to wait at the baggage claim.
My take is that many people who live near American ports don't actually fly to the departure port do they? They drive and there are no restrictions on how many or the size of their bags. It doesn't even matter the size if they'll submit over sized bags to a personal inspection. Different strokes. carry on or not.... for us the deal is already set

We always fly since we live nowhere near a port. Here's the rule: if the airlines let us carry it on, we aren't checking it. You don't like it too bad.

We travel VERY light and most don't. No need to have an attitude about passengers carrying a few things on, maybe they're just good at dealing with the realities of traveling distances in the 00's.

Here's my beef. Leaving luggage by the ton out in the halls is a worse hazard to security than any dinner dish from room service. There's a "tradition" that has got to go.

Last edited by A Sixth?; October 21st, 2008 at 09:17 PM.

Old October 21st, 2008, 10:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasetf View Post
Why not check it.... It is inconvenient for those around you to have to maneuver around your's or other people's excess luggage. The idea of checking it at port arrival is to avoid people dragging around a lot of "stuff" in confined and crowded areas. This includes not only the port area but the gangway and ship after boarding. It is crazy enough with all the people boarding, crew hauling bags, crowded elevators.........

What we all should be carrying on is our "valuables" in hand baggage and swim fins would not qualify in my mind.
Have you seen the price of (nice) fins lately?

We carry-on all our scuba gear, and we don't even own the BCs and regulators (vest and tubing that goes to the tank for those who don't dive) which are the most expensive parts of a setup. Quick math tells me that just for fins/mask/snorkels/wetsuits x2 and gloves/boots for me we have well over $1000 in our carryon.

I'm not checking that.
Ryndam Cozumel, Belize, Guatemala, Costa Maya, Fall 2009
Celebrity Mercury Ultimate Alaska from LA-Vancouver, Spring 2009
Eurodam Grand Turk, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Half Moon Cay, Winter 2009
Caribbean Princess Brooklyn, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Fall 2008
Carnival Legend Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, Fall 2007
Grand Princess Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Spring 2007
Caribbean Princess St. Thomas, St. Martin, Princess Cays, Winter, 2005
Legend of the Seas New Zealand & Australia, Winter 2002

Old October 21st, 2008, 10:37 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dylaness View Post

We carry-on all our scuba gear, and we don't even own the BCs and regulators (vest and tubing that goes to the tank for those who don't dive) which are the most expensive parts of a setup. Quick math tells me that just for fins/mask/snorkels/wetsuits x2 and gloves/boots for me we have well over $1000 in our carryon.

I'm not checking that.
No one would blame you except a few on this board for fear of slowing down the check in process.

Old October 21st, 2008, 11:26 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dylaness View Post

I'm not checking that.
Nor should you

Old October 21st, 2008, 11:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks so much to everyone for your help and advice!

We really don't want to break any rules or cause any problems for our fellow passengers.

After considering the responses, we may have to leave the porter a much bigger piece of luggage and fit the fins inside. (And yes, we do have state-of-the-art dive gear. Our fins are the Aeris Velocity split fins that are $180 a pair. You may think we're nuts, but they are awesome! Our dive masks are over $75 a piece...you get the idea.)

So anyway, we'll only bring our backpack on board with the dive masks inside. We'll give the porter a big tip to take care of the rest!
10/11 - RCI Oasis

Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:14 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Take the fins with you and don't worry about them. I am sure they will fit through the scanner and why should you have to worry about it .. it only takes moments to put them through .. it won't hold people up .. this isn't an airport .

Enjoy a carefree vacation!!

The pictures from the following cruises can be found at www.cruisesrfun.com

American Queen 5/1999 New Orleans to Natchez
Crown Odyssey 9/2000 Greek Isles
Celebrity Millenium 8/2001 Med
Grand Princess 8/2002 West Carib
HAL Oosterdam 8/2003 Baltics
Norwegian Star 8/2004 West Carib
Sapphire Princess 11/2005 Mex Riviera
Monarch of the Sea 5/2006 Ensenada
Sapphire Princess 10/2006 Asia
Caribbean Princess 9/2007 East Carib
HAL Oosterdam 2/2008 Mex Riviera
Carnival Spirit 10/2008 Mex Riviera
Star Princess 9/09 Alaska
Carnival Dream 09/10 East Carib
Grand Princess 2/13 West Carib

Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
5,000+ Club

I agree with this. You will not slow down embarkation. It is those who do not take off their jackets and remove belts that slow the scanning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLLund View Post
Take the fins with you and don't worry about them.
Enjoy a carefree vacation!!

Old October 22nd, 2008, 01:26 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyvanner View Post
So anyway, we'll only bring our backpack on board with the dive masks inside. We'll give the porter a big tip to take care of the rest!
The porter you give it too is only the first in a series of people who will handle your luggage. Sooner or later someone puts in (probably on the bottom) in a container with lots of other bags. Once it gets on board others will sort the luggage and then someone will deliver it to your cabin. Don't expect that big tip to influence anyone but the person you give it to.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 02:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

That will fit in the port scanner (which is not the same as the onboard scanners -- those are smaller and closer to the hand baggage scanners in airports.)

You should take it with you, if you have any concerns about it at all. Or even if you have no concerns at all and just want to carry it.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Oh my goodness you need to ignore that man and take anything you want onboard. It really is only a very few minutes that you might hold someone up. Everyone is in your boat except a few like CHASET. I actually was blown away by his quick comment back to you. We are on vacation so we all need to relax. I know when men have to travel and fly for a living this type of thing can be a nightmare but really, while we're on vacation?