Any input on CA Cabins, on the Nieuw Amsterdam for Retreat Cabana lovers?

So we have a 2 week B2B booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

We have a family retreat cabana booked,(the largest corner ones) most likely a suite amenities package, a couples massage and the thermal suite.

We have decided to stop sailing deluxe suites on HAL for many reasons, but mostly for this cruise to be able to do the 14 day versus a 7 day.

After talking with friends here, it was a smart choice.

We have VD4166 booked. We have seen it on the Eurodam and thought it was lovely.

I have heard on the Nieuw Amsterdam it only has one lounger on the large balcony.

Anyhow, after much discussion, we really didn't spend more than 2 hours total out on our SC aft wrap on our last cruise. On all of our previous SA's we spent almost no time at all on the balcony.

I tried so hard to get this VD cabin. But I fear we will not use this balcony either, because if weather is nice, we will be at the retreat. And it can not be used for dining as there is no table large enough.

But now I am thinking since we booked the thermal suite, the suite amenities package, and the large family retreat cabana, and couples massage we should probably consolidate everything and move to the front of the ship.

Our last trip consisted of going back and forth, a lot of time wasted.

Our only option besides our VD is: CA cabins, (oceanview) in the front of the ship. I have heard they are larger. HAL ships services says they are 120 sf which I know is VERY wrong. I have done searches here, and even started a thread. I haven't really seen any definitive photos or sf measurements. If they are out there I must have missed it. But then again I do not have great luck w searches.

I am definately not interested in the spa verandah VQ. Those cabins as I understand are pretty small. I would rather have a larger OV than a smaller cabin with a tiny balcony, since we have the largest retreat cabana.

So, any info on the CA (1001,-1004) would be very helpful.

We will look for price drops on the suites, but no longer will we be paying retail as we have done in the past. I would say there is about a 10 percent chance we would end up in a suite.

Thanks to anyone who has knowledge in these cabins. Thanks for any help!

Small world - I also have VD4166 booked (friends in VD4168) and have a family retreat cabana booked on our NA cruise next January. Several cruises ago I sailed in CA10004 on the Eurodam, and loved it! The stateroom is much wider than regular ocean views and the window is huge. I booked it again for my next Eurodam cruise but ended up moving to a verandah for next to nothing as it got closer to sailing (had a regular retreat verandah that cruise). Even though we have the cabana, it'll be nice to have verandah for early morning and evenings...the drawback is being far from the cabana, but I hope it'll be worth it for the oversized verandahs.

Sue/WDW1972

DCL Dream 11/10/13

Nieuw Amsterdam 1/5/14

I think the Spa OV 10001-10004 prob have the same windows. :)

If you look at a frontal picture of the ship, all six windows across the front (10001 to 10006) appear to be the same size. That's why I directed you to the SQ10005 picture. :)

Small world - I also have VD4166 booked (friends in VD4168) and have a family retreat cabana booked on our NA cruise next January. Several cruises ago I sailed in CA10004 on the Eurodam, and loved it! The stateroom is much wider than regular ocean views and the window is huge. I booked it again for my next Eurodam cruise but ended up moving to a verandah for next to nothing as it got closer to sailing (had a regular retreat verandah that cruise). Even though we have the cabana, it'll be nice to have verandah for early morning and evenings...the drawback is being far from the cabana, but I hope it'll be worth it for the oversized verandahs.

Sue/WDW1972

DCL Dream 11/10/13

Nieuw Amsterdam 1/5/14

Thanks so very much for answering!

I am having a heck of a time deciding. !!!

On Princess, you can do an ultimate balcony dinner and breakfast for a fee. The bring a table if you arent in a suite. I wish HAL would do this, then there would be no question!!!

A week ago we sailed on NA and we had cabins 10002 & 10004. We have always had balconies but since I was paying for 2 cabins ( we treated my inlaws) I decided to try these and save a little $. We LOVED these cabins (they are the best kept secret). It is the largest stateroom we have ever had in the 10 cruises we have been on. My husband travels every week on business and commented that these cabins were the same size as a normal hotel room! You totally get a panoramic view and there are two chairs by the large window to sit and watch the view. We didn't miss the balcony at all.

A week ago we sailed on NA and we had cabins 10002 & 10004. We have always had balconies but since I was paying for 2 cabins ( we treated my inlaws) I decided to try these and save a little $. We LOVED these cabins (they are the best kept secret). It is the largest stateroom we have ever had in the 10 cruises we have been on. My husband travels every week on business and commented that these cabins were the same size as a normal hotel room! You totally get a panoramic view and there are two chairs by the large window to sit and watch the view. We didn't miss the balcony at all.

Oh my goodness! 2 Chairs? I was thinking it was odd that they did not add more furniture. Is there also a sofa? If so this is right up my alley.

Can you confirm that the TV is wall mounted?

Wish I could see some photos of these! No one seems to have any,

They sound amazing and might be perfect since we have one of the two largest family retreat cabanas.

I would rather have more room inside than outside, and esp since with standard cabins there is not a table for eating on the balcony. Even in the larger ones. The tables for eating are only in suites.

Did you dine in your cabin? If so how did it work out for you?

Thank you SO much for answering.

Wish I could find someone with photos!

There are two chairs by the picture window as I mentioned, then a king size bed and then a sofa & table that is adjacent to the bathroom as you walk in the room. We had room service in the a.m. & just had them put the tray on the small table by the sofa, but there is no reason you could not move the small table in between the two upright chairs by the picture window. The room is very wide and that gives you the spaciousness feel. The flat screen tv is on the left wall adjacent to the bed. It probably could have been a larger size, but we enjoyed watching the movie "Lincoln" on it.

There are two chairs by the picture window as I mentioned, then a king size bed and then a sofa & table that is adjacent to the bathroom as you walk in the room. We had room service in the a.m. & just had them put the tray on the small table by the sofa, but there is no reason you could not move the small table in between the two upright chairs by the picture window. The room is very wide and that gives you the spaciousness feel. The flat screen tv is on the left wall adjacent to the bed. It probably could have been a larger size, but we enjoyed watching the movie "Lincoln" on it.

Fantastic! Thanks so much. Was yours the same as your In Laws?

We stayed in CA10002 & they were in CA10004. The rooms I would say we're almost identical except their window was slanted a bit since their cabin was the last one on the front & next to a corner suite. I forgot to mention that there is a small window sill below the picture window. We used this extra space to store reading material & display our room stewards recent towel creation. The location was quiet, except one evening I think one of the suites must have been entertaining because it sounded like a party down the hall, but it did not go too late. You are right above the spa and just below the Crows Nest lounge. On our cruise the 4:30-5:30 happy hour was in the Crows Nest....so you did not have to go very far to get a cold refreshment :)

Archived