Norovirus on 2/16/14 Explorer

Calois1016

A lot of people get sick from Senor Frog's and it's not always from the food...;)

Ya there was a guy on our last cruise that got carried to the ship by the police on Cozumel from Senor Frog's. He'd had a drop or so more than what was good for him.

Ya there was a guy on our last cruise that got carried to the ship by the police on Cozumel from Senor Frog's. He'd had a drop or so more than what was good for him.

Hahaha!! A drop or so more???? Must have been a big drop!! :D

No one else reported on here being sick from norovirus. sorry you got sick but the ship didn't make you sick...you didn't get this from the cruise a few weeks before. You had contracted this before the kid at the pool got sick apparently. Lucky for you your other half didn't get this.

Did you get a shot from medical? If you were told you had this illness and quarantined to your cabin you would have been given free movies free stuff from your fridge and free internet for the period of time you were quarantined. You could have gotten fresh towels anytime from someone bringing to your door as well.

Usually you are only given credit for the time quarantined? Call your travel insurance person also.

its a part of cruising but think about it next time you get a stomach bug....you probably won't be on a ship...you could have been at the mall, at the movies, and just wait till children are around....schools are full of it...health habits..washing hands...yes you may do it but others may not...who touched the handle on the door before you did???

No one else reported on here being sick from norovirus. ?

We were on this sailing. While we didn't get sick, and neither knew or saw anyone who did, the captain did mention in his noon report on day 3-ish a slight uptick in GI complaints seen in medical and stepped up surveillance and disinfecting activities in response.

There was a little kid that vomited toward the end of dinner at the next table one night...they had a team with a special steam cleaning gadget come, red bagged everything, etc. they were all wearing respirators. They take these things seriously, as they should...but anytime you put 4000+ people in a floating box for a week there will be a certain incidence of GI distress...people just do not consistently wash their hands. And I'm not even going to comment on the señor frogs angle....

Let's face it everyone, there are people out there who are not very sanitary. At the end of the day we are all responsible for ourselves. Wash,wash,wash your hands! Use sanitizer on your hands. Carry it everywhere. If you can help it, stay away from buffets, if you can't sanitize your hands before you touch your utensils. (Sometimes I slip a latex glove on). Can you tell I'm a nurse? Lol. Don't touch bathroom door handles with your hands, even after they are washed, you never know if the person ahead of you washed theirs, use a paper towel. I always go on the assumption that whoever was ahead of me was not as cleanly. It is difficult to shield yourself from bacteria in heavily crowded places. Once Norovirus starts to spread it is almost unstoppable. Protect yourself. It can happen anywhere at anytime. It is not the cruise lines responsibility to watch over everyone to make sure they use good sanitary measure. RCCL is one of the top cruise lines when it comes to promoting safety measures.

Hello all,

This may be long so here is your warning!

I am new to Cruise Critic and I have been reading some of the threads before cruising on 2/16/2014. My fiance and I cruised out of Bayonne, NJ on the Explorer of the Seas. This was a 7 day cruise going to Florida and the Bahamas. Here is my story:

Knowing that this cruise was infected with Noro about 3 weeks ago made us hesitant; but this was the only time we could both go away until the summer. Everything was great until Wednesday, February 19th when we docked in Nassau, Bahamas. My fiance and I headed to Senor Frogs and had some lunch. We decided to head back to the boat to go in the pool and take the sun. Everything was going great until we dried off from the hot tub and pool. I witnessed a boy who vomited right near the pool floor. I then realized he was in the hot tub with us along with the pool. My first instinct - GREAT! He has to have the Noro.

We go back to our room an hour later and shower. I lay in the bed and I tell my fiance that I wasnt feeling too well. Before you know it, it was all downhill from there. I don't want to go into detail, but yes; I knew I had the Norovirus. This happned about 6:30pm but it got so bad that I just had to go to the nurse around 9:00pm. All said and done, I was isolated in my room for 24 hours. That brings us to 11:00pm Thursday night when the nurse cleared me. We did not get out of our rooms until Friday at 2:30pm because nobody came to clean the room or bring us new towels. We needed to shower before going out into the public.

All said and done, we missed half of Nassau and all of CocoCay. I say WE even though my fiance was fine. Let's be real, he was taking care of me all of those hours and did not want to leave my side no matter how sick I was. He DID have the freedom to explore (no pun intended) the ship and go to the ports of call...but he didnt.

HERE IS MY PROBLEM:

Overall, WE missed half of Nassau, ALL of CocoCay, HALF of Friday,TWO dinners and TWO days of our drink package. RCCL sent me a letter stating I would be getting back a future cruise credit for one day of my cruise.

I pick up the phone today to call and show how upset I was. I feel as if I should be held to the same account as everyone else was three weeks ago. The man on the phone said I will be getting back ONE day credit out of the seven. I am sorry, but it was almost 48 hours I was stuck in my stateroom AND I MISSED A PRIVATE ISLAND. It wasnt like I missed a day at sea!! I missed paradise! I should be compensated MUCH MORE then about $120...let alone they don't even want to hear about my fiance. At this point, I don't want to cruise with them ever again.

Don't get me wrong, all the other days were nice and our wait staff was EXCELLENT. I just don't think its fair that I should be getting back $120 vs. 50% off my cruise and 50% off a future cruise. I know their cruise was cut short and it effected 600+ people; BUT I FELT THE SAME WAY! It absolutely ruined my (OUR) vacation. I should be held to the same standards.

P.S. I was not the only one who came down with it on this cruise. The nurse said there was a bunch of people who went in the day before and the day I was there.

Cleanest ship out there right now? I think NOT.

Your last two sentences in your post shows your not familiar with noro, and secondly there was no noro outbreak on the week you sailed, Simply put you were sick, RCCL did what was required of them so no one else had a ruined cruise. They actually were required to give you zero. Sorry about your illness, but such is life, hope your next cruise you are 100% healthy.

We were at an all inclusive in Aruba years ago and at least 30-40% of the guests got sick after eating at a beach party. Some even had to be hospitalized. I know it was food poisoning, but I never got or even thought about getting any compensation. Do you think it is too late? :p:rolleyes:

It happens and really the cruise line shouldn't be held accountable for this. I think they are fair in what they do in a situation like this. It doesn't just happen on cruise ships. We really need to take precautions for ourselves and hopefully so will everyone else.

Gwen :)

AND I MISSED A PRIVATE ISLAND. It wasnt like I missed a day at sea!! I missed paradise!

Just so you know. There are no guarantees you make it to Coco Cay even on a cruise you arent sick on. Mother nature plays a BIG part in whether or not you will make it to "paradise" or not :) RCI does NOT compensate for missing that port.

So far Im 1 for 2 on Coco Cay because of high waves. On my Freedom cruise it turned into another day at sea.

I had to :rolleyes: at all the people lined up at Guest Services DEMANING compensation. :mad:

Edited by ryano

Just so you know. There are no guarantees you make it to Coco Cay even on a cruise you arent sick on. Mother nature plays a BIG part in whether or not you will make it to "paradise" or not :) RCI does NOT compensate for missing that port.

So far Im 1 for 2 on Coco Cay because of high waves. On my Freedom cruise it turned into another day at sea.

I had to :rolleyes: at all the people lined up at Guest Services DEMANING compensation. :mad:

I got you beat at 0 for 4. :D

Just so you know. There are no guarantees you make it to Coco Cay even on a cruise you arent sick on. Mother nature plays a BIG part in whether or not you will make it to "paradise" or not RCI does NOT compensate for missing that port.

We are 0 for 1 - after 13 years of cruising and finally sailing with Coco Cay in the itinerary I was really looking forward to to going there but it was not to be.:(

I got you beat at 0 for 4.

:eek::eek::eek:

OP...so sorry you got sick on vacation!

We were on that cruise too.

On Tuesday, there was an officer and a few others standing guard at a nearby stateroom. We saw several people with buckets going in and out of other rooms nearby as well.

We figured someone was sick.

Embarkation was delayed on Sunday the 16th because their were cases of Noro on the. previous cruise and the ship needed additional cleaning. They gave us a letter at security.

They are taking steps to limit sickness. There are no more garnishes for drinks...no lemons, limes, etc. In the MTd, our waiter told us they have to clean more at the end of each night.

OP - you said that nobody would clean your room or bring towels. I would assume your steward thought you might not want to be bothered.

Did you call housekeeping and request cleaning and/or towels?:confused:

I found this incredibly odd as well. You only needed to pick up the phone and ask. I got strep throat on a cruise once. Missed two excursions (DH did go without me at my insistence) and felt miserable for several days, especially since the doctor onboard totally misdiagnosed me. Never occurred to me to expect any sort of compensation nor did I receive any. Actually I was happy to have gotten my excursion fees refunded.

I'm sure this was stated by someone else on one of your threads but the child you saw getting sick could have just eaten too much ice cream. Even if he had noro you wouldn't have caught it from him that fast. You don't even know you had noro. It could have been food poisoning.

My daughter got sick on our last cruise. She ingested a bunch of sea water while snorkling and boggie boarding. It happened before on beach vacations so I knew what it was. She missed 1 1/2 days of our cruise and I did as well. It never occurred to me to make a complaint to anyone about it. Stuff happens even on vacation.

Some food borne illnesses only take 1-4 hours before symptoms appear. Norovirus symptoms appear 12-24 hours after exposed. Sounds like from your own timeline, Senior Frogs would be the likely culprit especially since you are the only one in your cabin that was sick.

It appears you are actually lucky that Royal Caribbean gave you the one day credit.

Omg - I was on same cruise with my 15 year old son. He became violently ill Wednesday night, the 19th (around 10pm). Took him to medical facility next morning and he was also quarantined.

We had heard about the outbreak of on Explorer in late January and were super careful - We used the purell often and constantly were washing our hands. It was inevitable that I would catch it from my son considering I was in such close quarters with him and taking care of him. It hit me Saturday night! What steams me is that even being vigilant about cleanliness, and we still became ill!

My best guess where my son picked up this nasty virus was either the arcade where hundreds of kids are playing games or the coke machines where so many people are using the touch screens. One interesting thing we have in common is that we also ate at Señor Frogs - we shared an appetizer. I don't think it was their food or we would have both gotten sick around the same time though.

Not sure what our cruise credit will be. Pretty much half our cruise was a disaster - my son could barely eat even after his symptoms subsided and could barely stand all the different smells in the Windjammer Cafe.

On the upside, this was my 6th cruise with RCCL and the only problem with illness so probably will cruise with them again. ( probably not in winter season though when virus is more prevalent)

Probably not helpful....but I got the nasty 'noro'/stomach virus the same days as those on this cruise. There is/was a bad stomach virus going around here in NJ. Took about 5 days total for improvement. Doctor refused to see anyone as not to spread it to others.

Sick happens. Cruise or not.