Herculaneum

Sea42

Hi CruiseMom42,

My DH and I toured Pompeii five years ago and will be back in Naples as a port stop this November on the NCL Spirit. After reading the various posts regarding Herculaneum, I believe this is the place to see as well as the Archeological Museum in Naples. Would you please send me your notes on Herculaneum? To: nevarez2000@juno.com

Much thanks and blessings,

Ana

Once more, all caught up on responding to requests.

:)

Hi Cruisemom, could you send me your notes as well at edchua75 at gmail dot com. I'd like to ask your opinion about getting a tour guide there as well. Is it worth it? Some of the tour companies suggested just to get an audio guide? Or just using your notes will be enough? It is our first time there. Maybe if we can get an affordable tour guide there, might as well get one? Please advise. Thanks. Ed

I'd like to ask your opinion about getting a tour guide there as well. Is it worth it? Some of the tour companies suggested just to get an audio guide? Or just using your notes will be enough? It is our first time there. Maybe if we can get an affordable tour guide there, might as well get one? Please advise. Thanks. Ed

I haven't used the audioguides for either Herculaneum or Pompeii, but if you read some reviews of the site on Tripadvisor, you can perhaps get an idea of how useful they were. I guess I'm more of a reader/visual person, so I prefer to create and use my own notes (plus, since I did all the research, I remember it better...:D).

Guides, if available, tend to gather around the entrance. The going rate is around 100 euro for a 2-hour tour -- and the rate is the same whether it's for 2 people or 10, so if you can get a group together it's obviously less per person.

I suggest you use your own judgement -- how much do you already know about the period (some of the same facts apply to either Pompeii or Herculaneum, but some differ), and how much do you WANT to know? If a casual visit is all you really want/need, then some notes or a guidebook are probably fine. My notes, which I'll send, are a bit more detailed than most guidebooks. Or if you like narration better, get the audioguide.

Edited by cruisemom42

I haven't used the audioguides for either Herculaneum or Pompeii, but if you read some reviews of the site on Tripadvisor, you can perhaps get an idea of how useful they were. I guess I'm more of a reader/visual person, so I prefer to create and use my own notes (plus, since I did all the research, I remember it better...:D).

Guides, if available, tend to gather around the entrance. The going rate is around 100 euro for a 2-hour tour -- and the rate is the same whether it's for 2 people or 10, so if you can get a group together it's obviously less per person.

I suggest you use your own judgement -- how much do you already know about the period (some of the same facts apply to either Pompeii or Herculaneum, but some differ), and how much do you WANT to know? If a casual visit is all you really want/need, then some notes or a guidebook are probably fine. My notes, which I'll send, are a bit more detailed than most guidebooks. Or if you like narration better, get the audioguide.

Thanks cruisemom! I will await for your notes. Thanks. Ed

We will be doing Pompeii in the morning and then traveling to Herculaneum. Would you advise getting a taxi or taking the train between the sites? Any idea how much the taxi transfer might cost? There will be 5 of us?

Thanks a million!

We will be doing Pompeii in the morning and then traveling to Herculaneum. Would you advise getting a taxi or taking the train between the sites? Any idea how much the taxi transfer might cost? There will be 5 of us?

Thanks a million!

I would just take the train. If you are coming from Naples, you'll pass Herculaneum on your way to Pompeii. When you're done, hop back on the train in the direction of Naples and Herculaneum is about 20 minutes.

I have no idea how much a taxi transfer would cost, but if you purchase an all-day U3 ticket (8,40 euro pp, or 4,60 euro pp if you are there on a weekend day), that will cover your train costs for the day.

Cruisemom, would you do both Pompeii and Herculaneum in one day or is that overkill? Do you think Herculaneum or Pompleii and then Capri are doable in a day? We are in port until midnight so feasible timewise, maybe not bodywise. Would also love your notes. Thanks for being so generous! gailboertzel@gmail.com

Cruisemom, would you do both Pompeii and Herculaneum in one day or is that overkill? Do you think Herculaneum or Pompleii and then Capri are doable in a day? We are in port until midnight so feasible timewise, maybe not bodywise. Would also love your notes. Thanks for being so generous! gailboertzel@gmail.com

If you have a major interest in the ruins, I would probably advise just going to Pompeii for the entire day. There is more there than can be seen even in two full days (which I did a couple of years ago -- still had to pick and choose). Pompeii and Herculaneum aren't THAT different, and you don't waste time transiting from one site to another.

The key is really planning what to do in Pompeii and also checking to see what houses are open on the day you arrive (can only be done at the information kiosk at the entrance -- to the left of the ticket purchase line -- where they keep a list that guides consult).

People say Pompeii is less well preserved than Herculaneum -- I think most of these haven't really explored Pompeii deeply. There are many houses that remain in good condition, as well as some of the public structures (the Forum is well preserved, the same cannot be said for Herculaneum, and the Forum baths are very nice indeed).

Here's a link to a post I made about getting the most out of a visit to Pompeii -- really most useful only if you're planning to spend a fair amount of time on the site (more than 2-3 hours....): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1609893&highlight=most+pompeii

You'd probably want to check some of the info as to what is now available for pre-reservation, etc. as it may have changed.

On the other hand, if you are not as interested in the ruins, you could perhaps do Herculaneum and Capri in a day, but for Capri you would only have time to see some of the island (it's bigger than most people think....). I'd recommend getting to Herculaneum as early as possible via train, spend a couple of hours there, then return to Naples and take the next hydrofoil to Capri.

(Alternatively you could negotiate with a taxi to take you to Herculaneum and wait two hours, returning you to the port....there is a set fare for this and while more expensive than the train it may save you a little time.)

• 3 months later...

Hello Cruisemom42:

We are planning to go to Herculaneum in October and would be thrilled if you could send me your notes. My email address is below.

I have been to Pompeii twice, for two half-day tours with guides, and I think your notes would be a great asset in Herculaneum.

Thank you so much for your kindness and generosity in taking the time to share your notes with this community.

Eileen at elena7cc at yahoo dot com.

I think you should discuss with your daughters. They may know more about Pompeii (I know my son studied it in school and also when he took Latin in high school, so it's the place he wants to see...) But I suggest you look online at images of both. Pompeii is much larger and requires a bigger time investment. If you want to do more than one thing in Naples, Herculaneum may be a good option.

I would suggest you continue your research and decide which one interests you more -- then I will be happy to provide my detailed notes. I just don't think they would be that helpful to you at this stage. (Plus the Pompeii ones are extremely detailed, really meant for spending at least one FULL day at the site, if not longer.)

As for Rome -- I've been there so many times that my notes would fill a book. :D (Seriously, ask anyone who knows me....!) I don't really have a "Cliff Notes" version for the major attractions. I would strongly suggest you get hold of some Rick Steves guidebooks. He is very straightforward, geared toward people who want to tour on their own, and even tosses in a little (corny) humor from time to time which your teens might like. He gives just enough history for most people's first visit.

His guide to the Mediterranean by cruise ship probably covers a lot of your ports.

Hi Cruisemom,

Have been to Pompeii and would love to see Herculaneum next month when I'm in port at Sorrento. Could you be so kind as to e-mail me your notes? I'm at vzimny@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Vicki

Hi CruiseMom42,

My family toured Pompeii on a ship tour a few years ago and were disappointed with the short amount of time devoted to the site visit.

This time its just the two of us and we are planning to visit Herculaneum on our own, followed by the Naples Museum.

If you would be willing to share your notes on Herculaneum we would be very grateful,

Thanks

Sally sally.charbonneau@rogers.con

quote.gif

• 5 months later...
I would appreciate your Herculaneum notes too please.

Thank you for your information.:)

J

mjalynch@shaw dot ca

I'm currently cruising in SE Asia with no access to my notes on home computer. I'll try to remember to send them when I return home in 10 days or so. If I forget, feel free to remind me via this thread! ;)

I'm currently cruising in SE Asia with no access to my notes on home computer. I'll try to remember to send them when I return home in 10 days or so. If I forget, feel free to remind me via this thread! ;)

Ok, no problem. I don't need the information until April.

Enjoy Asia!