Chilkoot Charters question

ladybugva

I have seen a lot of recommendations for this company for Skagway. Originally I was thinking of doing the ship tour, but this is intriguing. I like the one that goes all of the way to Emerald Lake.

I have a sensitive question though. My parents have some mobility struggles but both get around well, even a bit of stairs. Dad has a prosthetic leg, mom will have a rollator. Will this be an ok tour for them? Also, my mom has to know where the bathroom options are. I know they have them on the train, but what about after the train for the drive to Emerald Lake and back to Skagway? :o

I did the Chilkoot tour last May. Small bus, only two steps. Not sure if they have a handicap bus. The guide stops halfway up for bathroom break. They stop for wildlife and scenery to take pictures. You can stay on the bus or get off and back on. Caribou Crossing also has a bathroom.

Emerald Lake was Awesome.

Last July (on the Pearl), we used Chilkoot for the Bennett Scenic Journey Skagway to Carcross (was not available through the ship). Train up and van back...only 20 in our railcar and the trip back. I'm glad I booked with Chilkoot.

Thanks John, I have heard nothing but great things about them! My girls and I are definitely going to go with them. Parents are debating. Now they have the information to make a decision and I have confirmation the girls and I will have a great trip! :)

Just had a thought, what happens if you don't get into port for some reason? Do they refund? I can't think of a reason there you wouldn't get in, but it did just hit me. Or what if the ship is late?

We booked with them 5 years ago and loved our tour. Will be doing another Alaska cruise this July and have already booked a tour with Chilkoot in Skagway. We liked riding the train up and bus back, and our cruise line did not offer that option. That is what we did before and I felt like we just got different views from each. Of course we did the extended tour last time and went to Emerald Lake which was absolutely beautiful. This time we are just doing the short time and coming straight back to Skagway after getting off the train so we can have some time in town before going back to our ship. Missed town time on our last trip.

Thanks John, I have heard nothing but great things about them! My girls and I are definitely going to go with them. Parents are debating. Now they have the information to make a decision and I have confirmation the girls and I will have a great trip! :)

In case it adds anything to your thoughts, this is the 7.5 hour Rail and Bus Tour, which goes as far as Carcross, unlike the Bennett Scenic Tour which goes to... Bennett. I had a wonderful day. It doesn't matter whether you do the rail or bus part first. We chose rail first because it starts an hour earlier so we had a bit more time to look around Skagway at the end of the day. Chilkoot seem to always have the end coach on the train, which is a terrific bonus for photographers. There will be plenty of complimentary bottled water on the train, along with a nice little booklet to accompany the commentary as you go along.

All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE]

Just had a thought, what happens if you don't get into port for some reason? Do they refund? I can't think of a reason there you wouldn't get in, but it did just hit me. Or what if the ship is late?

I had the same concern so I emailed chilkoot charters and they confirmed if the ship misses the port I will be refunded. Also if the ship is late they will adjust the tour and price accordingly. I booked the 7.5 hour white pass and Yukon excursion. I booked train up so I'd have more time in Skagway after the tour. I also read if you take the train back that the trains exhaust can be an issue. I'm super excited for this excursion! Getting to the Yukon, riding the train, seeing the dogs, lunch, and emerald lake! After reading the reviews I knew chilkoot charters was for me! Plus it was $60 less per person then what the cruise line charges. That is the price for one booking a whale watching/mendenhall glacier tour while in Juneau. Have fun on your trip, I know I will!

We did the 7.5hr trip last year, our guide Alyssa was fantastic. If you haven't seen Skagway, make sure you ask to be dropped off in town when you get back rather than going straight back to the ship. It is an easy walk back to the ship and a nice way to finish off your day by having a quick wander around. Chilkoot also took us for a drive around the town before we got on the train so we did atleast see some of it beforehand.

We did the 7.5hr trip last year, our guide Alyssa was fantastic. If you haven't seen Skagway, make sure you ask to be dropped off in town when you get back rather than going straight back to the ship. It is an easy walk back to the ship and a nice way to finish off your day by having a quick wander around. Chilkoot also took us for a drive around the town before we got on the train so we did atleast see some of it beforehand.

I know this is personal and up to you to answer but im curious what do you think is a good gratuity to give the driver/guide for this tour with really good/exceptional service. Ive never been on a tour that's been this long or cost this much so im just curious if you dont mind answering.

Thanks and sorry for prying if youre not comfortable amswering.

I know this is personal and up to you to answer but im curious what do you think is a good gratuity to give the driver/guide for this tour with really good/exceptional service. Ive never been on a tour that's been this long or cost this much so im just curious if you dont mind answering.

Our guide/driver was exceptional but I can't exactly recall what we did. I reckon we put a $5 in the cup as we left the bus at the end. There were a couple of tens in there, many single dollar bills and some left nothing (but perhaps someone else in the party did so for them). It's really up to you but it's certainly not a "10% job". All the best, Tony

"exceptional" would be in the $10pp range, in my opinion, for an all day tour.

I don't really recall what we gave. Being Australian and not knowing we just followed what others did I think. I remember I gave $$$ to hubby who stayed on the bus and went back to the ship and he tipped our guide. I think it was $5pp, but not really sure now. Maybe $10pp, don't think it was more.

I had the same concern so I emailed chilkoot charters and they confirmed if the ship misses the port I will be refunded. Also if the ship is late they will adjust the tour and price accordingly. I booked the 7.5 hour white pass and Yukon excursion. I booked train up so I'd have more time in Skagway after the tour. I also read if you take the train back that the trains exhaust can be an issue. I'm super excited for this excursion! Getting to the Yukon, riding the train, seeing the dogs, lunch, and emerald lake! After reading the reviews I knew chilkoot charters was for me! Plus it was $60 less per person then what the cruise line charges. That is the price for one booking a whale watching/mendenhall glacier tour while in Juneau. Have fun on your trip, I know I will!

I will confirm information from Chilkoot in our experience as our ship did not make it to most of our itinerary's ports in Aug 2013 when the Millennium had a propulsion problem. Of course, I panicked as I had all private tours planned in the cancelled ports, but every single vendor refunded the full amount of our payment, including Chilkoot when they heard what happened. We are trying again this August to visit the missed ports and using all of the same vendors that refunded our money without a problem.

Edited by micruiser12

After reading many reviews I've come to the conclusion fog can happen at anytime. I picked train up as I stated before reading how exhaust can be a problem coming down, and you also get the benefit of not being on a schedule coming down if you do the long tour because you don't have a train to catch. Which in theory should give you more time to stop for pictures if anything peaks your interest like wildlife or landscapes. Taking the train down means you have to be there at 1 for customs and boarding if the train leaves at 1:30. The only downside to train up is having to be off the ship ASAP plus you have to be ready and up an hour earlier which sucks, if like me, you like to sleep in a little bit

After reading many reviews I've come to the conclusion fog can happen at anytime. I picked train up as I stated before reading how exhaust can be a problem coming down, and you also get the benefit of not being on a schedule coming down if you do the long tour because you don't have a train to catch. Which in theory should give you more time to stop for pictures if anything peaks your interest like wildlife or landscapes. Taking the train down means you have to be there at 1 for customs and boarding if the train leaves at 1:30. The only downside to train up is having to be off the ship ASAP plus you have to be ready and up an hour earlier which sucks, if like me, you like to sleep in a little bit

The train leaves Fraser at 1:45p BC time, this is 2:45p Alaska time, which is what the ships suggest you stay on. Having done these tours many times, never, has it ever been a rush, or hardship to make a southbound Fraser train. The vendors know their schedules extremely well and always, I have had plenty of time on my Klondike Highway journey with plenty of time for stops as well as lunch.

I have not experienced any fumes with a southbound train trip. I've ridden down in various cars, and do spend some time on the platform, but not the whole trip. I question, why this would be in only one direction? It sounds like, it's sporadic and dependent of weather and winds?

Edited by Budget Queen

Why would exhaust be more of a problem one direction than the other??? :confused:

I've been on the train both directions and I can't recall exhaust being an issue either way.

The train leaves Fraser at 1:45p BC time, this is 2:45p Alaska time, which is what the ships suggest you stay on. Having done these tours many times, never, has it ever been a rush, or hardship to make a southbound Fraser train. The vendors know their schedules extremely well and always, I have had plenty of time on my Klondike Highway journey with plenty of time for stops as well as lunch.

I have not experienced any fumes with a southbound train trip. I've ridden down in various cars, and do spend some time on the platform, but not the whole trip. I question, why this would be in only one direction? It sounds like, it's sporadic and dependent of weather and winds?

I didn't say making the train was a problem just that you don't have as much leeway because you have a scheduled train to catch, where as if you go up on the train you don't have that as a restriction. I get the vendors know the time frames of where they need to be, but bus up train down tour doesn't have the luxury of extra stops/running a little late like the train up/bus down tour does. That's all I was saying with that

Also to the person who asked about exhaust, I haven't done this tour yet only going off of many many reviews that I've read on many sites, and I've come across exhaust from the train can be an issue with taking the train down the summit. I would imagine it's because smoke rises and being you're going down and where the exhaust is coming from is in front of you that certain cars would be hit hard with exhaust fumes. Going up that would be an issue since the exhaust would be going up away from the cars. That's the only thing I could think of that would possibly make sense logically. Again I haven't done this only going off of a lot of reviews that I've read where this issue was brought up probably 5 times of all the reviews that I read.

Thanks for all the info. I just booked a Chilkoot excursion today. Interestingly, they stop running the Bennett trip the first week in September. We're in Skagway on Sept. 8 so we booked the Yukon trip ... train up, bus back. This trip also makes it all the way to Emerald Lake.

Edited by BigGuy25