Song of Norway, RC's first ship, is for sale

jt1120

Royal Caribbean's first ship, the Song of Norway, is for sale. Most recently she was operating as the Ocean Pearl for Happy Cruises, but the company is ceasing operations. She's 41 years old, so she's sailed a few open seas in her day, but who knows how much you could get her for. And let's face it, as cruise fans, wouldn't it be great to own your very own cruise ship?

Anybody sail on the SoN and have stories to tell? I only started cruising in 1998 so my experience with her is zero.

Sailed her in 82

To get to the viking crown lounge you walked up outside steps

The main pool had porthole windows in it. You could walk the hall and look at people in the pool;)

I shot skeet off the stern side

There was a game played up on the pool deck at night like the Quest game

Our inside cabin in the bildge(7day) was cramped and cost as much as some lower cat. balcony today

Royal Caribbean's first ship, the Song of Norway, is for sale. Most recently she was operating as the Ocean Pearl for Happy Cruises, but the company is ceasing operations. She's 41 years old, so she's sailed a few open seas in her day, but who knows how much you could get her for. And let's face it, as cruise fans, wouldn't it be great to own your very own cruise ship?

Anybody sail on the SoN and have stories to tell? I only started cruising in 1998 so my experience with her is zero.

She's as old as my marriage is! I didn't realize she was still around.

I never sailed on her, but I did sail on Song of America in 1993.

My first cruise when I was just out of college was on the Song of Norway. My girlfriend and I went and what a great time we had. Everyone dressed up every night for dinner- had to buy more long dresses in ports as we hadn't planned on this. We were single gals and we were seated at dinner with officers on the ship. We never paid for one drink as they took care of this at dinner as well as in the nightclub. We went skiiing with them on a speed boat that was onboard for the officers to use when in port. I will never forget that cruise. How times have changed!!! We had an oceanview room on almost the top deck and for a week long cruise plus air from Ohio to Fla. I think was somewhere around $350pp. Alot back then but wouldn't that be nice to do today.

viking crown lounge

So this is the origin of the lounge name now used on all the OTS ships? Was always a little curious about the "Viking" reference on a line that is not otherwise Scandanavian themed. The Crown part makes a bit more sense with "Royal".

So this is the origin of the lounge name now used on all the OTS ships? Was always a little curious about the "Viking" reference on a line that is not otherwise Scandanavian themed. The Crown part makes a bit more sense with "Royal".

If I remember correctly the first three ships were the Song of Norway, Nordic Prince and Nordic Empress. Hence the Viking Crown. I sailed on the Nordic Prince in 86 and I remeber the portholes to view the pool. Also shot skeet onboard.

Sometimes I really would like to go back to the smaller ships. The service and whole cruise experience was different then. Not to say it is bad today just so not quite as personal.

It was pretty neat walking up the outside stairway to the Viking Crown lounge too.

I did my first Rccl cruise in 73 with my mom, I still remmber it. I just found a photo of us at the captains table in the little plastic frame. Great memories. The viking crown lounge was the best, except climbing down the stairs after a few drinks.

Here is a photo that I took of the SON back in May of 1986. She was pulling into Cozumel.

CopyofSongofNorway.jpg

Nice pic.

I would like to add for everyone that "Tongs" were also used on this ship:D:rolleyes: mornings, noon, and at the famous mightnight buffet

Wow - what memories!! I also remember getting dressed for dinner every night and climbing up those outside stairs to get to the Viking Crown Lounge. Cruising has really changed over the years. Thanks for bringing up wonderful memories, Sailed on her three times stating in 1983.

Barb

Actually three major Norwegian shipping companies founded Royal Caribbean Cruise Line in 1969 (operating three ships during the 1970s) and was the first line to design ships specifically for warm water year-round cruising. I love reading about maritime history and find it rather fascinating. I love the facts, photos and memories and hope that the following will be of interest (including the concept of the Viking Crown Lounge!):

Royal Caribbean's first vessel was the 700-passenger Song of Norway (1970), and introduced glass-walled dining rooms, expansive sun decks located in the middle of the ship, and the company's signature Viking Crown Lounge. Edwin Stephan, one of the company's founders and Royal Caribbean's president at the time, got the idea for the lounge from the revolving restaurant atop the Space Needle at the 1962 World's Fair in Seattle. He anticipated that not only would passengers have a terrific view from this cocktail and observation lounge, but its design would set the vessel apart from other ships and make Royal Caribbean vessels instantly recognizable.

In 1971, the Nordic Prince entered service in the Caribbean and the company began offering passengers air/sea vacations, with the air fare to Miami included in the price of the cruise. The following year, with the introduction of the Sun Viking, Royal Caribbean became the biggest cruise line in the Caribbean with weekly departures from Miami on 7 and 14 day vacations. For the remainder of the decade, Royal Caribbean focused on establishing its name brand. In 1978 Royal Caribbean took the unprecedented step of cutting the Song of Norway in two and adding an 85-foot midsection, increasing the passenger capacity to 1,000. This was the first cruise ship to be lengthened in this way.

I did my first Rccl cruise in 73 with my mom, I still remmber it. I just found a photo of us at the captains table in the little plastic frame. Great memories. The viking crown lounge was the best, except climbing down the stairs after a few drinks.

Yay!! Someone else from 1973!

Nordic Prince was our first: $500 for two of us, roundtrip air from Oakland, overnight hotel included the night before, transfers to/from the airport.

Our next was two weeks Southern Caribbean on the Sun Viking: $1,100 for the two of us, including the above.

Loved the small ships. Our first Southern Caribbean cruise was magical!!

Third cruise was the Nordic Prince (1984) and fourth the Song of Norway (1985). The cabins were so small - there was a curtain in the middle that separated the bed area from the 'dressing' area. The food was very very good. Airfare and a precruise hotel were included. Food was not 24/7 - except for room service. We were late sleepers with late seating so we often missed our assigned breakfast time. Lunch wasn't until 1:30 so we were really hungry when the burger station opened about 11:30.

And it was nice to be at an officer table. They bought drinks pre and post dinner as well as wine. But I did need my Bonine and still had problems with mal de mer. And I had problems for about a week with the sidewalks rocking like the ship.

It was very nice but of course we paid a lot more.

My 1st cruise was on Song of Norway in June 1991, and we sailed the Southern Caribbean. The fabulous dinners, with wine & drinks included with everyone dressed up looking regal. Our inside cabin was small and there weren't any stablizers, but it just added charm & adventure to the voyage. I think she had 8 or 10 balcony rooms, and I dreamed of getting to have a room with a balcony someday. Boy times have changed. I hope someone buys her and she gets a good home.

Sailed her in 82

To get to the viking crown lounge you walked up outside steps

The main pool had porthole windows in it. You could walk the hall and look at people in the pool;)

I shot skeet off the stern side

There was a game played up on the pool deck at night like the Quest game

Our inside cabin in the bildge(7day) was cramped and cost as much as some lower cat. balcony today

I remember. We didn't sail on the Song of Norway, but sailed on her sister ship Nordic Prince. The Viking Crown Lounge wasn't that big either.

Honeymooned on Song of Norway in 1986. It was our first cruise and have been hooked ever since.

Ditto...It was our honeymoon and first cruise. We were stunned when we were invited to dine with the captain!

Then our next cruise was in 1988 when Sovereign of the Seas came out and OMG!!! A four story atrium! When we went to the Repeat Passengers' party there were six "repeaters." How things have changed!

Archived