Am I The Only One......

Sometimes I feel like the only person on Cruise Critic who doesn't remember the names of cabin stewards, bartenders, masseuses, Cruise Directors, waiters.....not even the names of Captains.

I am not a bad person, I over tip if anything, I don't demand much from the staff while cruising and I hardly ever complain. I love cruising and part of the reason I love cruising is because I feel so taken care of and pampered. BUT, I don't think of the staff members as my "friends" and I never remember anyone's name once I walk off the ship and head home. I retain fond feelings and happy memories, but the cruise staff just blends into my thoughts and no one person stands out.

Maybe I could pay more attention, but then I would be spending valuable vacation time doing something that doesn't matter me. :rolleyes:

Oh well, just wanted to get that off my chest. :D

These people have names?

There is a "cruise director"?

All kidding aside, you're NOT alone. I cruise to relax and enjoy the amenities of the ship. I appreciate the hard work the staff does to ensure my enjoyment. But I have no more interest in learning about them and their family than I do the bartender who makes my martini, or the waitress that serves my dinner at a quality land based restaurant. I've stayed at many hotels and never cared to know the name of the nice lady who makes my bed. And I've been to many spas at a number of fine resorts, and I can't make myself care to remember the name of the masseuse... unless I want to request him or her the following week.

I cruise to relax. So no, I don't need to remember these people.

Don't feel bad, I didn't even we had a CD on our first cruise. I have no clue who it was.

I don't know anyone's name. I can remember "sort of" what our waitress in the mdr looked like, but that's about the extent of it.

It was a bit shocking when I came here and people were talking about the employees by name and like they become great friends. I kind of got that "Wow, I must be a real piece of crap" feeling.

After giving it some thought, I don't think I will be any different on our second cruise. These people wouldn't be making my bed or bringing me dinner if they weren't getting paid for it. They're not my friends, just people doing their job. I'm polite as I would be to anyone I encounter at work any other day, but that's about it.

Honestly, no, we don't remember our waiters, stewards, bartenders names and I'm sure they don't remember ours since they're learning new ones the day we depart. I remember a couple of CD's and Captains, but I really can't just come up with the names off the top of my head. Sometimes people post as if their waiter they knew for 7 days is their best friend. We also tip very well. It's interesting to watch someone post and ask if "so and so" is still onboard because they were the absolute best "whatever" and we became such "good" friends. Really?

I have never remembered past getting of the ship the name of any of the staff. You are not alone!

I do remember one complete staff. I will never forget that AWESOME bartender, Isaac. Along with Gopher, the purser. That cruse had Julie as a cruise director, and she was fantastic. It was the one time I was thrilled to actually meet the captain. Captain Stubing was one of a kind!

Otherwise, I remember no one!:D

You are among friends.

I try to take pics of all the friendly crew with their name bages showing. With digital photo I can zoom and grab names with no problem after getting home. We have met some very special crew members over the years.

I do remember one complete staff. I will never forget that AWESOME bartender, Isaac. Along with Gopher, the purser. That cruse had Julie as a cruise director, and she was fantastic. It was the one time I was thrilled to actually meet the captain. Captain Stubing was one of a kind!

Like. That was my favorite staff too. :D

The only name that readily comes to mind is that of our waiter on our very first cruise, which was on the Radiance. And I think the reason it sticks with me is because our second cruise was also on the Radiance and when we got to our assigned dinner table (which was on a different deck this time) he was our waiter again!!!! Oh, his name was Scott, and he is a wonderful waiter.

When I was eight years old, my parents took me to Disney World. We went to the Hoop-De-Do-Review at Fort Wilderness. Out waiter was great. His name was Dallas. I remember that for two reasons: First, at that time, my father shot slide pictures. And every time we looked at the slides for years to come, when we got to the picture of my brother and I with Dallas, he and I screamed out "DALLAS!!!!". And second, because a few years ago, I ended up back at Disney with my friend and his kids. And don't you know... thirty years later, sitting at the Hoop-De-Do-Review, our waiter comes over... I look at him and yell "Dallas!!!!". Yeah, it was him:)

That's the best I got.

Thread Winner!!

I do remember the CD's names because I hear it so many times during a cruise.

I remember the captain from the Jewel on our TA and I remember our waitress on Explorer. They were exceptional. And although all of the crew we have encountered on RC ships have been great, I can't remember their names.

On our 1st cruise in years, on Mariner in 2010, we had no clue how the MDR my time worked. Nights 1 and 2 we were seated in different sections and different waiters. Night 3 we were back with waiters from Night 1. Breakfast day 4 in WJ, assistant waiter from Night 2 calls out my name (which isn't common). "Where were you last night?". He remembered MY name from two days ago.

I'm in the same 'boat'. I only remember Milton from the Windjammer on the Oasis because he had the most hilarious laugh and Joseph the room steward because of a really good night (or really bad one depending on how you look at it) because we kept saying I can't believe we have to get Joseph to clean the carpets the morning after... :(. Joseph got tipped well...very well lol

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

I usually try to learn and remember most people's name during the cruise. That includes both crew and staff and fellow passengers. Repetition helps, and it is a courteous thing to do.

I don't really commit most of them to long term memory. For some reason I seem to remember bartender names better than cabin steward names. :D

I can't imagine why. :D:):D

The only name I remember is "Captain Speaking" and funny thing, he seems to be the captain on all of my cruises!!!

I do so like this :)

I can remember the names of one or two cabin stewards and butlers but almost never the dining room or bar staff, though I remember if they were good or pretty ordinary.

I was never very good with names - faces I can remember but not the name that goes along with it :)

You are not alone. I don't look to make life long friends with the staff and I believe they feel the same way. They are doing a job and would you to show your appreciation by leaving a tip. I'm not heartless, but trying to remember names would require too much WORK while I'm on vacation.

I could care less who the CD is on a ship. I have dined at the Captain's Table twice and can't tell you the Captain's name if it meant winning a free cruise.

I got on a cruise ship for the first time (had several cruises before). As I was walking to the Lido with my new wife, a bar server came up and said "Mr. Roy, we have your Budweiser on ice as usual. May I get you one sir?" I had not been on this line for a couple of years, but this server remembered me. I had NO clue who he was.

Did I feel guilty? NO< but I did get an ice cold beer!!!!

Archived