Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Viking Burgundy

Anyone been on the Viking Burgundy river cruise or knowledgeable about them - why are the prices higher for September than earlier months what's apparently special or better for September?

Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think that most river cruises follow the general travel rules that summer is the peak travel time, spring and fall are usually less costly. Personally I think spring and fall are the BEST times to travel. River travel has some problems with high or low water (spring/fall).

Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the Burgundy thiis past May for the southern France cruise. If you have any specific questions about the tour send an email to me at H2Otstr@aol.com.

Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

Maybe because of the changing leaves in Sept? On Avalon I don't see that price pattern.They are highest in the summer months. I have traveled to Germany in July and it was very hot but it was also hot in London that year.I think I would avoid early spring because of the high water levels when they get the mountian snow melt.Of course that depends on where you are cruising.I wasn't much help was I!

Old October 26th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Letsgo, the higher prices seem to depend on where you're coming from. If from the USA, Canada, etc., the flight fares are higher over the summer. Maybe there are more UK paxs who like it in Sept as the school holidays and tourist peaks are over.

Old October 26th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

H2Ostrt, excellent I'll send you an email.

Old December 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Viking Burgundy

We were on the Burgundy a few years ago, and it was lovely. The hotel director was a bit too Germanic for me, but all others were helpful. We sailed on the Rhone and Saone in Burgundy and Provence. The scenery was fabulous, the company congenial, and the shore excursions were well done too.

I could not find too many things to complain about.

Viking Idun Danube Nov 1, 2014 -Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Sep 14, 2014 - Crown Princess Alaska Aug 9, 2014 - Caribbean Princess Oct 26, 2013 - RCCL Explorer - Med July 21, 2013 - Island Princess Panama Canal Dec. 30, 2012 - Caribbean Princess Bermuda that went to Boston Oct 27, 2012 - HAL Statendam Sep 15, 2012 Alaska - RCCL Grandeur Sep 3, 2012 Marseille Med cruise - RCCL Brilliance Dubai Cruise Jan 02, 2012 - NCL Jade 10/8/11 Adriatic - NCL Gem 11/27/10 Bahamas & Fla - NCL Jade Black Sea Fall 2009 - NCL Star 5/23/09 Alaska - RCI Navigator of the Seas 12/11/08 Mexico - NCL Spirit 10/12/08 Canada New England - Holland America Volendam 9/07/08 Alaska - NCL Jade North Cape 6/29/2008 - NCL Gem TransAtlantic 12/3/07 - NCL Spirit Weekend Cruise fron NYC 10/20/07 - Celebrity Mercury Alaska July 13, 2007 - Celebrity Millennium Mediterranean May 2007 - Holland America Amsterdam - Baltics 2006 - Viking Burgundy - France 2004 - Princess Barge -Belguim and Holland - 2002 Sepik Spirit Papua New Guinea 2000 - Some ship on the Nile - don't ask me the name - 1997 Holland America Veendam 1981 Been cruising since 1981

Old April 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Anyone going on the Viking Burgundy from Avignon on June 24th?

We booked via Noble Calendonia who were as helpful as they can be though they don't run the cruise. We're both deaf and had problems with Viking HQ. Viking HQ REFUSE to help with any emergency evacuations. Viking HQ REFUSE to help with providing 1-2-1 assistance and request to supply details of excursions so that we can be aware of where we're going and what we're seeing. Viking HQ are ARROGANT and lacking in customer care. However we don't believe that the staff on the cruise are like that and we're sure they'll have the right attitude and be as helpful to us and hopefully fellow paxs too.

A