Nassau safety cab or walk?

olemissgal00

I went to Nassau 2 years ago and tried the walking tour in reverse (started at Catholic Church) and I teen tried to snatch my friend's purse. Im heading back and wanting to walk to the Queen's Staircase from port but am worried of a repeat. 3 girls and 1 big guy this trip/ last was 4 girls. Do you think it is safe or do you think cab is better and if so, how much is cab?

Whether you walk or take a cab, don't go alone, and if at all possible, don't carry a purse. Why make yourself a target for thieves? In a port such as Nassau, where crime can be a problem, I suggest wearing something like cargo shorts/pants, with extra pockets. Keep your money, credit card, ship's I.D., etc. in the front pockets where you can better protect them.

If crime is this bad in the day that cruisers are worried about their safty walking in town, well, there should be more police presence. Nassau gets a lot of revenue from cruiseships and they should spend a little to ensure that the passengers are safe.

The thing is that the vast majority of people stay on the main street where all the touristy shopping is and never get out to see the culture. That street is perfectly safe and is well patrolled by the police. Since people mainly stick to that street or take a car somewhere, the police have no incentive to clean up the other areas. Plus, cleaning up high crime areas is easier said than done.

It is a shame though, because I would have really liked to see the rest of the island.

IMO, if you feel the need to ask about your personal safety, you suspect it is unwise to attempt the walk. Do yourselves a favor, get a taxi and put your mind at ease. It isn't worth being nervous during your walk and unable to enjoy it.

How is it going from the port to the British Colonial? We are headed there on Monday and I'm wondering if walking is ok or if we need a cab even tho it's a short distance.

TIA

Don't walk alone. Don't wear pricey jewelry or flash cash around and you should be fine. It isn't a long walk and there are lots of people on the streets where you will be walking.

Don't walk alone. Don't wear pricey jewelry or flash cash around and you should be fine. It isn't a long walk and there are lots of people on the streets where you will be walking.

Thanks! It will be me and my 6'2" husband :p and I don't own any pricy jewelry so we should be good walking. Thank you for the info. :)

If crime is this bad in the day that cruisers are worried about their safty walking in town, well, there should be more police presence. Nassau gets a lot of revenue from cruiseships and they should spend a little to ensure that the passengers are safe.

A number of years ago, crime rate was very high in Nassau, tourists were in a number of incidents and many cruise ships stopped calling there until they cleaned up the crime situation. That most assuredly got their attention and they did a better job of law enforcement, cruise ships returned and all was well. Seems history could possibly be repeating itself if there is high crime and it continues.

IMO, if you feel the need to ask about your personal safety, you suspect it is unwise to attempt the walk. Do yourselves a favor, get a taxi and put your mind at ease. It isn't worth being nervous during your walk and unable to enjoy it.

Of course, there is another option. If you're concerned about your safety, don't venture out alone. Go with an organized group tour. You're far less likely to be accosted if you're with a large group, and tour guides will do all they can to stay away from problem areas.

I've been there twice. Last time was Mar 2012. We did the self guided walking tour, just me and bf, both small asians. Went to Queen's staircase and Fort Fincasle, among other places. Did not feel unsafe even once. There are many locals who try to tell you history of places and then expect a tip. If you don't want to do this, when they ask you if you know the history of whatever place you are at, just say yes I know. Sometimes locals will try to give you a free gift and also expect a tip. Just nicely say no and that is it.

Another time I went just me and my female friend, both of us 5'2". We took the local bus around and someone gave us commentary. I thought it was a guide, but just a guy telling us about his island. He hopped off before we did, and he didn't expect a tip. But we did end up tipping the driver.

Personally, I was much more annoyed at vendors in St Maarten (Orient Beach) than I did in Nassau.

Edited by whataboutport

My uncle who worked in Venezuela many years always told his sons to not keep cash in one pocket. Put it in two or even 3 pockets. If you are held up, give cash form one pocket and thief won't realize you have more in other pockets.

I never carry a purse anymore even at home. Just a small mount of cash in a pocket with a small wallet like thing -smaller than pack of cigarettes- with credit cards but on cruise don't even carry that.

I think I will play it safe and cab it. I was not alone last time, I was in a group of 4, but we were all females. Luckily, the kid (he was high school aged), didn't get the bag (not that it would have mattered it only had towels in it) but it was a reactionary jerk back and hold on and run instinct. He also had a red drink dumped all over his White school uniform shirt, so locals/police could ID him pretty quickly.

Edited by olemissgal00

The last time we sailed to Nassau the ship left everyone a note in their cabin warning to be careful due to the crime. (have sailed there many times before, so this note was a first)

What I don't understand if the crime is bad enough you have to leave notes for your passengers, why in the heck don't they stop going there until they (once again) clean it up????

We no longer get off there..........

The state dept just issued the fourth alert for Nassau this year. They don't do this unless there is a problem. I will be in Nassau next April and will try to find something safe to do. However, don't take a chance. I was the victim of a crime five years ago and I am still dealing with the aftermath. However, I am taking my first cruise since the incident this December. I will not let this stop me from traveling but I am very caution about what I do in port.