Sodas in baggage

Sparetiming

We are sailing out of Miami on Carnival Splendor and I would like to bring aboard some 12-pack sodas for the 4 teenage boys we have sailing with us. Can you put the 12-packs in each of your checked bags or do we have to put them in a carry on bag.

They can take them yes as they specifically state that they must be in your carry on luggage. Maybe bring an extra rolling carry on and load that up. Then you can is the extra space when leaving for souvenirs etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If we pack them in our checked bags because we do not want to carry on all that weight will they take them from us.

If you don't want to carry all that weight, do you think the baggage handlers want to?

If you put it in your checked luggage, they will remove it.

We are sailing out of Miami on Carnival Splendor and I would like to bring aboard some 12-pack sodas for the 4 teenage boys we have sailing with us. Can you put the 12-packs in each of your checked bags or do we have to put them in a carry on bag.

Here's what I do. Because we fly into Miami, I pack our sodas in our checked luggage. I buy the 20 oz. bottles, not cans, because the bottles are far less likely to rupture than cans. I put the bottles in doubled heavy duty zip lock bags (just in case). Then, when we get to the airport in Miami, I switch them from our checked luggage to our carry-ons. I also take a collapsible soft sided cooler. I use one of the zip lock bags to put ice in for the cooler. The zip lock bag helps contain the water from the melting ice, which means very little leaks out. This method has worked well for us for several years without any problems.

Nobody really wants to carry the soda on with them but since Carnival is giving me the privilege of being able to do so, I will follow their rules . If folks try to get-away-with breaking the rules then all it will do is result in the privilege being lost for everyone...

We did a family cruise last year and we all carried our soda and/or water on in our individual roll-behind carry-ons. It was no problem and totally worth it in terms of saving money. A little inconvenience to avoid having to pay the ship's prices was totally worth it.

I am not trying to "get away" with something. I have always packed sodas in my checked bags, but I came across someone in the forum saying that all beverages had to be carried on not checked. I did not know if this was a new policy or they just never minded me putting it in my checked bags. We have not taken a cruise in a few years so I did not know if policy changed. I have always just had a separate suitcase that I put sodas, water and snacks for the ports.

Here's what I do. Because we fly into Miami, I pack our sodas in our checked luggage. I buy the 20 oz. bottles, not cans, because the bottles are far less likely to rupture than cans. I put the bottles in doubled heavy duty zip lock bags (just in case). Then, when we get to the airport in Miami, I switch them from our checked luggage to our carry-ons. I also take a collapsible soft sided cooler. I use one of the zip lock bags to put ice in for the cooler. The zip lock bag helps contain the water from the melting ice, which means very little leaks out. This method has worked well for us for several years without any problems.

Have you done this since 2014? Carnival wants all drinks in carry on today.

If its in the checked luggage they will confiscate the soda.

Each teen can carry on one 12 pack of soda. If they dont want to carry it they can drink whats available on the ship. (iced tea and lemonade-- mixing it together makes it good (take your own insulated cups too)

I am not trying to "get away" with something. I have always packed sodas in my checked bags, but I came across someone in the forum saying that all beverages had to be carried on not checked. I did not know if this was a new policy or they just never minded me putting it in my checked bags. We have not taken a cruise in a few years so I did not know if policy changed. I have always just had a separate suitcase that I put sodas, water and snacks for the ports.

Don't stress too much. There are a lot of people on these boards that leap at the chance to make a lot out of nothing.

I understand your question. Good on you for getting the info ahead of time :)

Each teen can carry on one 12 pack of soda. If they dont want to carry it they can drink whats available on the ship. (iced tea and lemonade-- mixing it together makes it good (take your own insulated cups too)

If you read the entire post it says that he puts them in the checked for flying, and then once they land he swaps them out into his carry-on. ;)

We always clean out our carry on and put a 12 pk of coke in it, stick a luggage tag on it & it gets delivered to our room. We have put a 12 pk in a suitcase too. They will open it to make sure you're not trying to be sneaky. So as long as its all soda, it gets delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we pack them in our checked bags because we do not want to carry on all that weight will they take them from us.

Go to Carnivals website and check their FAQ section

They specifically state that each person may carry on up to 12 20oz soda's or water and they must be in the "carry on".

If you read the entire post it says that he puts them in the checked for flying, and then once they land he swaps them out into his carry-on. ;)

Are you just making stuff up? or am I blind?

I haven't seen anything in this thread to indicate OP said anything about flying.

Please re-read my post. Since the airlines restrict carry-on liquids to 3 ounces, I pack our sodas in our checked luggage for the flight to Miami. Once we reach the Miami airport, prior to taking a taxi to the cruise terminal, I take the sodas from our checked luggage and put it in our carry-on bags. Got it?

We have as our carry on a large rolling suitcase of sugar free red bull, soda, coconut water, and gatorade (we are a family of four) and have never had a problem. You could probably at least fit two cases of soda in a suitcase and then just open the cases to fit the others in individually.

Yes, it VERY heavy but that is why we use a rolling suitcase and have FTTF so we bring it straight to our room.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I just mainly wanted to know if having to carry on sodas was a new policy because we have always just put them in a check bag by themselves. I guess if they might now confiscate them I should carry them on. I never have had a problem before but we have not cruised in a few years either.

Please re-read my post. Since the airlines restrict carry-on liquids to 3 ounces, I pack our sodas in our checked luggage for the flight to Miami. Once we reach the Miami airport, prior to taking a taxi to the cruise terminal, I take the sodas from our checked luggage and put it in our carry-on bags. Got it?

You actually fly with sodas in your checked luggage? I hope you're not paying to check your bags.