Voyages of Discovery financial stability

EDLOS

Thinking of booking Nov 2nd MV Voyager cruise, but reading between the lines leaves me wondering about the financial stability of the line and am confused by the relationship of Cruise & Maritime. Can someone clear the air and give me a comfort level about booking.?????

Thank you

Thinking of booking Nov 2nd MV Voyager cruise, but reading between the lines leaves me wondering about the financial stability of the line and am confused by the relationship of Cruise & Maritime. Can someone clear the air and give me a comfort level about booking.?????

Thank you

I'm no shipping expert but, as I understand it:

ALG [All Leisure Group] have always only had one 'big' ship 'Discovery'and several very small ones. They have now simply chartered their original ship, 'Discovery', to Cruise and Maritime, who needed a replacement small vessel, and ALG have substituted the newly refurbished, 'Voyager' so that they can still trade as 'Voyages of Discovery'.

I have no doubt that someone more knowledgeable on CC will correct me if I've got it wrong!

The whole outfit is small, I agree, but that is how you get the interesting itineraries. I wouldn't think financial viability should be any more of a concern than with any of the 'big' cruise lines.

Pity you are having flight difficulties. Good luck with it.

HD

Swan Hellenic is also part of the ALG, along with another very small company (Hebridean Island Cruises). From my impressions aboard the SH Minerva last fall, Swan Hellenic at least seem to be doing just fine.

Voyages of Discovery has long had a loyal following of repeat passengers who enjoyed their diverse itineraries and were willing to forgive the previous vessel -- an older ship that definitely had its quirks, from what I've read. I believe that chartering that ship and getting a newer one outfitted is definitely a step up, not a step down for the company. (I realize some of their loyal repeaters may not agree, but not from a financial standpoint!)

The company that Voyages of Discovery chartered their older ship, Discovery, to is not related to the ALG. So if it is the early reports of difficulties with those cruises that have you nervous, they shouldn't be of concern.

Swan Hellenic is also part of the ALG, along with another very small company (Hebridean Island Cruises). From my impressions aboard the SH Minerva last fall, Swan Hellenic at least seem to be doing just fine.

Voyages of Discovery has long had a loyal following of repeat passengers who enjoyed their diverse itineraries and were willing to forgive the previous vessel -- an older ship that definitely had its quirks, from what I've read. I believe that chartering that ship and getting a newer one outfitted is definitely a step up, not a step down for the company. (I realize some of their loyal repeaters may not agree, but not from a financial standpoint!)

The company that Voyages of Discovery chartered their older ship, Discovery, to is not related to the ALG. So if it is the early reports of difficulties with those cruises that have you nervous, they shouldn't be of concern.

You both have raised my comfort level and it's appreciated !

As ALG is a quoted company you can view it's financial accounts.

Go to www.allleisuregroup.com

On that web site then go to "Investor Relations", then to "Financial Downloads", then to "29 April 2013 Annual Report & Financial Statement"

You can then read that - maybe look at pages 18,19 and 21 first.

Archived