What is the south china/yellow sea like?

ABCruiser

Hi everyone,

We're planning a cruise Jan/Feb 09 from Hong Kong to Tianjin with ports in Japan and South Korea and just wondering if anyone can tell me how rough or calm the sea is during these two months. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi everyone,

We're planning a cruise Jan/Feb 09 from Hong Kong to Tianjin with ports in Japan and South Korea and just wondering if anyone can tell me how rough or calm the sea is during these two months. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Typhoons are almost year round. They move in from the Western Pacific into the South China sea moving northward.

If you are there during a typhoon or severe tropical depression, it will be very rough. No typhoon, calm seas.

IIRC, a couple of ships missed ports last year (2006) due to a major typhoon that swept into China/Vietnam. No guarantees, although 2007 is supposed to have less storms than normal, due to El Nino.

The Yellow Sea and area around it can really vary, I was on the Diamond Princess in 2005 when between Shanghai and Dalian we ran into a storm of sorts that kicked up the seas and made for a wonderful bumpy ride which was fun and interesting to see how this ship performed in big seas.

At other times the waters are quite flat, They are fun waters to sail through as there is lots of other sea traffic off the chinese coast.

Typhoons can pop up at almost anytime however the later part of the year seems to be the problem time.

I love this part of the world Im sure you will have a wonderful time, If you want to know more feel free to email me.

Best Wishes

Novmeberbravo1974

Archived