need helps in san pedro, please

hunter2004

This will be our first cruise from san pedro (VOS- june 1, 08). We already booked our flights. we also already booked our hotel (may 31) - courtyard by marriott ($165). we read so many threads but don't see anything about this hotel. oh by the way we called and asked, they don't have shuttle service to port. we are thinking about changing the hotel to crown plaza or double tree. need some advices please. we'd plan to take a red van shuttle from lax to the hotel, we already checked the prices $16pp each way. we will be check in at the hotel around 1pm, do we have enought time to see anything, please help...

thank you in advance

We stayed at the Double Tree in San Pedro in December and were extremely pleased with it, had one of the nicest rooms we ever had. They will shuttle you to the cruise termainal for the price of a tip, just check with the bell desk as you check in and set up a time with them. The only downside to the DT is that its food service area is a bit small so there are lines for breakfast and dinner. We are flying down in May and are staying at the Crowne Plaza only because some people we met stay there a lot and spoke highly of it, but from the pix I have seen I suspect the DT is nicer.

You will certainly have time to get over to Long Beach and see the old Queen Mary and a Russian submarine that is park along side her. We had our car in Dec so how you would get there without one would require a cab.

This will be our first cruise from san pedro (VOS- june 1, 08). We already booked our flights. we also already booked our hotel (may 31) - courtyard by marriott ($165). we read so many threads but don't see anything about this hotel. oh by the way we called and asked, they don't have shuttle service to port. we are thinking about changing the hotel to crown plaza or double tree. need some advices please. we'd plan to take a red van shuttle from lax to the hotel, we already checked the prices $16pp each way. we will be check in at the hotel around 1pm, do we have enought time to see anything, please help...

thank you in advance

I am assuming this is the Courtyard in Downtown Long Beach...If so, good choice...I've never stayed here (of course I live only an hour to an hour and a half away) but most Marriot Courtyards are fairly nice...and this one is in a good location at Linden and First...You are about a short block north of Ocean Avenue...There is free city shuttle (the Passport) which will take you all over the local area...

http://www.ci.long-beach.ca.us/community/passport.asp

(Yellow and Blue lines are free)

Probably have to walk over to Long Beach Blvd. and 3rd or 1st and Pine to pick it up...But ask your hotel--they may shuttle you over to the route...This can get you anywhere in the area--Queen Mary, Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village, etc.

You don't really have a lot of time to go up to see anything in LA, but you could...I think most of the organized tours likely leave earlier, but you may want to contact these guys and ask:

http://www.sunseekertours.us/index.htm

Otherwise, with no car, you'll be limited to the Long Beach area...But, there are some things to see in Long Beach that could fill an afternoon and evening--The Aquarium, the Queen Mary, etc. all are a short distance from your hotel...

For dinner, there is a good selection of restaurants in the area--some along Pine St., including in the Pike complex...others in Shoreline Village...

http://www.thepikeatlongbeach.com/

http://www.shorelinevillage.com/

I usually recommend Parker's Lighthouse at Shoreline Village for a unique seafood restaurant with great ambiance and striking views...but again, you have lots of choices...

The next day, you would need to get a taxi to the pier over in Pedro...

about 7 miles...

You could switch to one of the San Pedro hotels and be closer to the pier and save a cab ride...If you could arrange a tour for the half day, there's no major logistical difference except you save a taxi ride in the morning...Otherwise, there is less to do in San Pedro and not quite the choice of restaurants...of course, you only need maybe lunch and dinner...Thre are a few restaurants short walking distance from the Crowne...

You'll be fine either way...

Archived