Just curious what you use to keep time in port?

NoJolt4U

Our experience has been - that the ship will notify you of the time change in the evening before you retire. The ships clocks, phone, tv, etc will reflect the time zone you are in.

In other words, the ship time you see - matches the port time. It's never been an issue to us.

When we were on the Escape in March, we were notified of the time change the evening before. I think it was when we arrived in St Thomas, we were an hour ahead. I was able to adjust my Galaxy 6 to the ship time change manually, and didn't have a problem. We were always back a couple hours before we were to leave port. But we didn't have a problem with our phones not being able to adjust to the times.

Technology aside I still have a watch always set on ship time, never change it no matter where we are as all that matters is the time on the ship!

Also on phones/tablets/computers we just have a dual clock set. I have this in daily life also as family live somewhere else so handy to glace at see what time it is back home.

A watch is a good thing. As to cell phones, they are very good in places where they have coverage. But cruises go to all 7 Continents and many cell phone providers do not provide coverage in all places. And cell phones may not be set to ships time. One can also get an inexpensive water resistant watch which can be worn everywhere.

Hank

They do indeed change times occasionally. Depends on the time of year. But you will have ample notice of the change. Fun Times, ship announcements, and the very large easily seen boards like this:

13880236_1346571812037061_3564251205141456758_n.jpg?oh=8e64256f88d01a45850f512fa1e91419&oe=5850CDCF

Interesting. We've gone to Belize and didn't change times (on Carnival but not Miracle) any of the times we traveled Western Caribbean from FL. I'm sure it happens sometimes though, and I know long cruises across multiple TZs often change, like the CA to HI. But the poster I was responding to seemed to assume the ship would always be on local time. My main point was that was a dangerous assumption because it doesn't always! I think the ship is less likely to change TZs on a closed circuit than an open one.

Due respect, Mrs Bob, but your very first sentence was a generalisation - and the OP hadn't even mentioned where or which cruise line they're sailing.

There's no mention of the Caribbean in the question - or in your first post, which makes it difficult for you to "say it one more time" :confused:

Carnival sail the world, so there will be places where even Carnival's ship time will change.

Hence my comment that your post was a dangerous generalisation.

But thanks for now being more specific ;)

JB :)

To be fair to that poster, I believe this thread was moved from the Carnival board! That's where I saw it first. But since it's not a Carnival specific topic, it was moved here. That poster might have already been in-thread.

To be fair to that poster, I believe this thread was moved from the Carnival board! That's where I saw it first. But since it's not a Carnival specific topic, it was moved here. That poster might have already been in-thread.

Thanks for that, berrieh, though Mrs Bob and I are at peace ;)

But it does show that mods moving threads around has its drawbacks.

JB :)

A watch is a good thing. As to cell phones, they are very good in places where they have coverage. But cruises go to all 7 Continents and many cell phone providers do not provide coverage in all places. And cell phones may not be set to ships time. One can also get an inexpensive water resistant watch which can be worn everywhere.

Hank

A cellphone does NOT need a telecom signal to work as a watch and they CAN be set to the ships time without it changing when you go into the port of call, even if you do have a telecom signal.

Can't understand how people don't even understand the basic functions like the watch on their phones. I have never used anything else then my phone on the cruises I have been on and I have NEVER had a problem.

RTM!

Edited by Extra Kim

This thread did start on the Carnival board, so the OP is probably sailing Carnival. Carnival rarely changes the ship time to match port time on closed-loop cruises. It can happen, but not usually. In 15 cruises with them, we changed times on 2 cruises, and both were because of the daylight savings switch. On many of my cruises, there was a difference in port time & ship time. We did not adjust ship time. That would get annoying to switch, then switch back later, especially when visiting a port that is 1 hour behind the home port, then 2 ports that are 2 hours behind, then a 4th port that is back to 1 hour behind. Our heads would be spinning. We thankfully didn't change times at all. We did have to make sure our independent tour operators knew of the time difference.

To answer the OP's question, I do bring a wristwatch that's in one of the small pockets on my backpack. But usually, I use the time that is on my cameras (regular cameras-not a phone camera). I have those set to ship time, and every time I turn one on, the ship time is displayed.