Does anyone else bring their own TP? :-)

Fern Crest

The difference in paper products is how they are produced. Toilet paper and facial tissue use "pressed" paper fibers, which will break apart when wet (as we all know :o ). Wet wipes, paper towels, and shop wipes use "woven" fibers that will not break apart. While the "product" "plug" does need some cohesion to move along the pipe, it also needs some "give" to manage corners and the like, and the woven products just won't do that. They are also difficult to "macerate" when they get to the treatment plant, so they end up clogging these filters as well, and have to be removed. Also, because vacuum pipes don't slant downhill like septic lines ashore (some even go up), over time they can build up a scale that partially clogs the pipes, and the woven products get stuck here. This can be managed by regular dosing with citric acid packets in the toilet (typically weekly for pax cabins, monthly for crew) which dissolves the scale.

There, now you are all marine sanitation system experts. :D

Some of that build up got so bad on the destroyer I was on we had to literally cut out sections of the pipe and replace them.

Best thread ever. LOL's & information. Worthy of a prize.

Only take on camping trips and Ship's on excursions.

:):):)

Not the first time I've busted this myth, and certainly not going to be the last. HAL and Princess seem to be the worst at claiming only their butt wipe should be used.

Putting the last few things in the bags for tomorrow's sailing (YIPPEE!), and there's always a spot for a roll of fluffy, non-shredding stuff. Was wondering if anyone else is weird like me and doesn't fully appreciate the disappointing, disintegrating paper they put in the bathrooms?

Or maybe it's just me! :D

Only bring my TP to decorate the cabin door and wrap my utensils in (lol).

Never thought about it or the quality but I'm not a fan of the "big, fluffy stuff" anyway!

(Don't decorate my door either)

FWIW in many places it's customary not to throw anything except body waste down the toilet. Everything else goes into the trash.

Mexico is one of those places.

Edited by SadieN

A plumber once told me not to flush anything other than "product" (lol, love that one) and TP. Even if the wipes are labeled "flushable" there can be issues, as explained by chengkp75.

I don't take my own TP but I have to take wipes wherever I go, never flush them......

Wet wipes aren't toilet paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Some wet wipes specifically say FLUSHABLE and others do not.

What is more biodegradable? An entire half a roll of cheapo TP vs. 1 or 2 flushable wet wipes? Which is more likely to clog? (IMO, CHARMIN is the clog master.)

FWIW, never been a clog up on my line.

And they are wonderful to remove makeup and save washcloths. (Trash these.) Also nice to have in port when you just can't wash your hands and can't get enough hand sanitizer to rid yourself of the sticky-whatever.

Some wet wipes specifically say FLUSHABLE and others do not.

What is more biodegradable? An entire half a roll of cheapo TP vs. 1 or 2 flushable wet wipes? Which is more likely to clog? (IMO, CHARMIN is the clog master.)

FWIW, never been a clog up on my line.

And they are wonderful to remove makeup and save washcloths. (Trash these.) Also nice to have in port when you just can't wash your hands and can't get enough hand sanitizer to rid yourself of the sticky-whatever.

Regardless of whether or not a wipe claims to be "flushable", that only applies to land based, gravity sanitary systems, where the pipe size increases the further "down the line you go". Vacuum systems are totally different animals, and believe me, I have spent my time roto-rooting out sanitary wipes, facial wipes, and diaper wipes, while I've never had to clear a clog from Charmin or any other wad of toilet paper.

To give a concrete example of the differences between ship and shore sanitary systems: The typical ship vacuum toilet line is a 2" pipe, going up to 2.5" when you reach 100 toilets on the branch, and not getting any bigger all the way down to the engine room. This gives a cross sectional area of 3-5 square inches for "product" to flow through. Your typical toilet connection in your house starts at a 4" pipe (12.5 square inches), goes to 6" when it leaves the house (28 square inches) and then goes into a 3' to 8' sewer line. So your "flushable" wipe starts out with a passageway 3-4 times as large on shore as it does on ship.

Edited by chengkp75

I guess the next t logical question is would it be gauche to bring a no-name brand of TP if I'm cruising in a suite? Will the TPP (Toilet Paper Police) get their knickers in a twist? :)

Edited by DirtyDawg

FWIW in many places it's customary not to throw anything except body waste down the toilet. Everything else goes into the trash.

Mexico is one of those places.

Really???? Is that how they manage it in their homes as well?

Very interesting! Why then does John Heald tell people not to use the wet wipes and to dispose of them in the Sanitary bags instead of flushing them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Putting the last few things in the bags for tomorrow's sailing (YIPPEE!), and there's always a spot for a roll of fluffy, non-shredding stuff. Was wondering if anyone else is weird like me and doesn't fully appreciate the disappointing, disintegrating paper they put in the bathrooms?

Or maybe it's just me! :D

Nope. I believe there is special TP for ship use, and I don't want to clog up the works for my own selfish purposes

Nope. I believe there is special TP for ship use, and I don't want to clog up the works for my own selfish purposes

Classic CC comment. Opinions without the facts. :rolleyes:

(Hint: you can find the facts by reading this thread)

Pack my own TP? No, I think I'll save the space in my suitcase for other things and use the TP the ship provides. Eleven cruises and haven't had a problem with it yet.

He's an engineer who worked on ships.

Ok. I didn't know all of that.

The difference in paper products is how they are produced. Toilet paper and facial tissue use "pressed" paper fibers, which will break apart when wet (as we all know :o ). Wet wipes, paper towels, and shop wipes use "woven" fibers that will not break apart. While the "product" "plug" does need some cohesion to move along the pipe, it also needs some "give" to manage corners and the like, and the woven products just won't do that. They are also difficult to "macerate" when they get to the treatment plant, so they end up clogging these filters as well, and have to be removed. Also, because vacuum pipes don't slant downhill like septic lines ashore (some even go up), over time they can build up a scale that partially clogs the pipes, and the woven products get stuck here. This can be managed by regular dosing with citric acid packets in the toilet (typically weekly for pax cabins, monthly for crew) which dissolves the scale.

There, now you are all marine sanitation system experts. :D

Why monthly for the crew?

Are they on a low fiber diet?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums