Sydney Hotels

skayebs

I am looking for a reasonable hotel in Sydney. Is anyone familiar with the Radisson at 72 Liverpoole St.? How is the hotel and the location. I would prefer to be somewhere near Darling Harbor and the Rocks area. At least a location that allows us to be near transportation and or tourist attractions.

Thanks

Sharon

I am looking for a reasonable hotel in Sydney. Is anyone familiar with the Radisson at 72 Liverpoole St.? How is the hotel and the location. I would prefer to be somewhere near Darling Harbor and the Rocks area. At least a location that allows us to be near transportation and or tourist attractions.

Thanks

Sharon

I can't recommend that hotel as never stayed there....but it should be good - Radisson is a good brand :)

Location: You know, it really is only a block away from Darling Harbour - walk past the Chinese Gardens and through Tumbalong Park and you are there! Liverpool St is also on the monorail route - monorail is not very extensive but can get you around town a little bit .... but won't get you anywhere near The Rocks or the Harbour Bridge.

The hotel is about two blocks (quite large ones) from Town Hall Station where you could easily jump on a train to get to Circular Quay and the Rocks. It is not a fantastic location but in reality, probably not too bad either.

Its quite close to Chinatown, Paddy's Markets, The Entertainment Centre....

Hope this helps.

It would help to know your budget for accommodations since "reasonable" can mean something different to everyone.

We've stayed in a lot of different Sydney hotels with various budgets. In the area of Darling Harbour, we have stayed at the Ibis and at the Medina Grand Sydney serviced apartments. In the Rocks, we have stayed at the Bed and Breakfast Sydney Harbour and at Circular Quay, we have stayed at the Intercontinental. We enjoyed each one for different reasons, but they were all well-located.

Thanks

Sharon

Hi Sharon, one of our roll call members KJL53 on the Apr19 trip got a good deal at the ParkRoyal, Darling Harbour. It is located just a bit closer to the Darling Harbour area than the Raddisson on Liverpool St and would be in a quieter spot. Very handy to central Sydney, transport, all facilities at Darling Harbour such as Aquarium etc, shops. Walk up Bathurst St to George St for 100's of buses to everywhere including the free 555 to Circular Quay or trains.

Check out Wotif dot com for deals.

Hugh

Does anyone have a recommendation for a private transfer service from The Sydney Hilton to the cruise terminal & approx cost? There will be 2 couples with quite a bit of luggage. Is this also something we should arrange before our cruise in early March or wait until we get to the hotel to arrange?

Thanks

Sharon

Hi Sharon! When we have been to Sydney we stayed at the Four Points Sheraton, which has deals sometimes. It is located close to Darling Harbor and is close to lots of things. We like the hotel and the location. You can walk across the pedestrian bridge to Harbourside Shopping and lots of restaurants...you can walk to lots shopping in central Sydney or you can catch the ferry at the Aquarium to get to Circular Quay area to be close to the opera house, botanic gardens and The Rocks area.

I agree with the OP who said to check wotif.com, but you can check Expedia, Zuji and once you find a hotel be sure to go their website and check because sometimes they have specials.

Hope this helps.

Barbara

Does anyone have a recommendation for a private transfer service from The Sydney Hilton to the cruise terminal & approx cost? There will be 2 couples with quite a bit of luggage. Is this also something we should arrange before our cruise in early March or wait until we get to the hotel to arrange?

I think that you will be okay waiting until you are at the hotel. Taxis are always plentiful and can get you to the pier quickly and easily. On cruise days you will see lots of people doing the same thing. Recently, we were on a cruise leaving Sydney and we were kind of concerned about that but had no reason to worry because the taxi driver said the all know the routine.:) We had lots of luggage too!

Barbara

Hi Sharon, one of our roll call members KJL53 on the Apr19 trip got a good deal at the ParkRoyal, Darling Harbour. It is located just a bit closer to the Darling Harbour area than the Raddisson on Liverpool St and would be in a quieter spot. Very handy to central Sydney, transport, all facilities at Darling Harbour such as Aquarium etc, shops. Walk up Bathurst St to George St for 100's of buses to everywhere including the free 555 to Circular Quay or trains.

Check out Wotif dot com for deals.

ParkRoyal seems to be well over $200 now. We are on the same cruise 4/19 as well as the 4/9 cruise and will be arriving on 4/6. We are traveling with another couple that prefers to keep the rate down around $150. I think we will probably have to go up.

Sharon

I booked two rooms through Hotwire.com and we will be staying at the Menzies. I got the rooms for $165 each. I noticed a big jump in taxes when going from $165 to $184. Is there a luxury tax on some of the hotel rooms.

Sharon

I am staying there as well, it seems very easy to get to from the airport by the train and seems close walking distance to the sites. Hope it works out for me!

I booked two rooms through Hotwire.com and we will be staying at the Menzies. I got the rooms for $165 each. I noticed a big jump in taxes when going from $165 to $184. Is there a luxury tax on some of the hotel rooms.

Sharon

Sharon

No, Hotwire must be a USA site. There is only 1 tax in Australia - Goods and Services Tax (GST at 10%) that is applied to everything except essential items. Prices advertised here must be the final price with tax included - unlike the USA. So fo a coffee advertised at $4 - that is what you pay - no more no less - and no tips.

Menzies is fine - an older grand style hotel very handy to the pier and backing onto George St - the main street of downtown Sydney and opposite the underground rail and also bus services.

See you on board soon.

Hugh

Liverpool Street isnt the greatest part of town

I'd recommend the Four Points Sheraton which is right on the city side of Darling Harbour.

Another full star rating too so unlikely to get rooms at $150 unlike you strike a special and those rooms i dare say would be pretty ordinary city views.

Menzies is an older hotel with no view to speak of (maybe if you're lucky you might get a view of the park across the road)...but it is clean and comfortable and in a convenient location.

It is probably a 10 minute walk to Darling Harbour one way and a 10 minute walk to Circular Quay the other way. It sits right above Wynyard Station and opposite the bus terminal. We've never had an issue with noise.

We've stayed here a number of times as it is suits us very well when we overnight in the city. (We've also stayed at many other 5star hotels for special occasions etc) but this is our "go to" hotel when we need to be in the city for whatever reason.

I have heard second-hand that the meals there aren't that great....we've never eaten there so I wouldn't know. We rarely dine at the hotels in which we stay as there are lots of cafes, pubs, and great restaurants around so that is usually our preference.

Thank you for your responses on the Menzies Hotel. The location sounds good and as long as it is clean and comfortable, that is all we need.

I think we are set now, we have our airline tickets and hotel. The only thing left is to decide on some excursions. It's going to be a great trip.

I am glad you mentioned the food at the hotel, no point in paying a lot for food if it isn't good so we will try some other restaurants.

Sharon

On the recommendation of friends who have stayed here twice we are staying at the above hotel.well located and $401 for 2 nights including the taxes...booked off the hotel website which matched the price of agora and hotels.com.

It is always best to book off the hotel website if you can. Rooms can usually be cancelled unless you purchase a prepaid room. Our rooms are

prepaid and I am going to check into travel insurance in case something

would come up.

I have heard theat the Holiday Inn Rocks is a great place to stay.

Sharon

Menzies is an older hotel with no view to speak of (maybe if you're lucky you might get a view of the park across the road)...but it is clean and comfortable and in a convenient location.

It is probably a 10 minute walk to Darling Harbour one way and a 10 minute walk to Circular Quay the other way. It sits right above Wynyard Station and opposite the bus terminal. We've never had an issue with noise.

We've stayed here a number of times as it is suits us very well when we overnight in the city. (We've also stayed at many other 5star hotels for special occasions etc) but this is our "go to" hotel when we need to be in the city for whatever reason.

I have heard second-hand that the meals there aren't that great....we've never eaten there so I wouldn't know. We rarely dine at the hotels in which we stay as there are lots of cafes, pubs, and great restaurants around so that is usually our preference.

We have stayed at Menzies twice pre-cruise.

I would not recommend eating the restaurant as it is totally overpriced and the service appalling (Dec 2011). In fact the service everywhere was terrible but it was a bed for the night and cheaper at that!

For Breakfast - week days there is a wonderful organic cafe a few doors down and weekends go out the front door turn right, go to the end of the street cross the road and up a little and there is a cafe run by a Japanese couple and their breakfasts are pretty awesome too!

• 2 months later...

I am hoping that someone can help me narrow down some hotel choices given to me by my TA. I am spending two nights in Sydney pre-cruise in November.

Here are my options (ranging from $626 up to $730 for two nights):

The Four Seasons (actually the cheapest!)

The Radisson Blu

Sydney Marriott (I believe at Circular Quay)

The Four Points Darling Harbour

The Holiday Inn Old Sydney

It seems as though all hotels are on the pricey side -- especially to be in a good location which is important to me. So which of these would provide the best accommodation for the price and location?

Thank you so much for any advice!

You might want to check Rendezvous at the Rocks. We got a rate do AUD 240 for a pre cruise night in Jan., 2104. It is supposed to be near the waterfront and the OverSeas Terminal.

I am hoping that someone can help me narrow down some hotel choices given to me by my TA. I am spending two nights in Sydney pre-cruise in November.

Here are my options (ranging from $626 up to $730 for two nights):

The Four Seasons (actually the cheapest!)

The Radisson Blu

Sydney Marriott (I believe at Circular Quay)

The Four Points Darling Harbour

The Holiday Inn Old Sydney

It seems as though all hotels are on the pricey side -- especially to be in a good location which is important to me. So which of these would provide the best accommodation for the price and location?

Thank you so much for any advice!

My vote goes to the Sydney Marriott at Circular Quay.

The Four Seasons is in a good location as well.

A lot of people say that the Old Holiday Inn is very good, not a flash hotel but in a good location.

Have you considered booking direct instead of using an agent, that way you can keep an eye out for price drops and re book your hotel, that is if you make a booking without paying.

Archived