Which airport when sailing out of Los Angeles/San Pedro

pink bunny

LAX is a bit closer and would travel on (slightly) less congested freeways. If coming in at night know that you could be rerouted if you're delayed and arriving after 10pm due to noise restrictions.

Long Beach LGB is the closest but it's very small. Good if you're flying Jet Blue.

For me the best airport to fly in is Long Beach. Small, not crowded, and convenient to where I usually go. Unfortunately for me Alaska doesn't fly to Long Beach anymore, so we fly to LAX and take a town car to San Pedro.:)

LAX- Closest to San Pedro, biggest selection of airlines and flights. Large, sprawling international airport. The time it takes to get from curbside to gate is hit and miss...allow 1 hour for checkin and security to be safe. Add another 45 minutes to return a rental car at the remote lot and take a shuttle to the terminal.

LGB- Just a few miles farther than LAX. Limited selection of airlines (JetBlue, American, Delta). The latter have only a few daily flights. Small airport and a breeze to get through.

SNA- Farthest from SP...however getting from curbside to gate is quick compared to LAX and will make up for the extra ground travel time (assuming non-rush hour). Served by all the major and some budget airlines (but not JetBlue). A good number of flights but not as extensive as LAX. Fares are hit and miss....if you see a good flight at a reasonable price, go for it!

My experience has been that with many more flight options from LAX that competition many times results in lower prices than at other LA area airports.

Smaller LA area airports can be convenient to access however it's been my experience that too often they're also more expensive. Also if a flight gets cancelled at these airports, the limited number of flights create longer delays & once our only option for an alternative to our flight to BUR was flying to LAX.

BUR is not a great option for SP but other alternative airports could have the same problems as at LGB, SNA or even ONT.

ONT's problem is that LAWA (LAX) has run it into the ground. Treating it like the ugly step-child. Though, recently we've been able to find decent priced airfare on some routes out of ONT.