Maasdam

ElaineB2

Maasdam has always been a favorite ship of mine and continues to be "MY" Maasdam. :) We have cruised her a great many times and just returned last week from our latest week aboard her. She is a beautiful ship that has been lovingly maintained. While you refer to her as Old, she is but ten years old. Sure there are lots of ships that are newer but a well maintained ship is not an old ship at ten years. She looks, rides, and feels fabulous and we cannot wait for our opportunity to return to her ASAP.

I recently posted some lengthy comments about here on this board. If you care to read them, you will find a thread about 3-4 pages back titled July 17-24 Maasdam, Canada/New England. There are several other reviews of that cruise posted on this board. Hope you have read through the listing of the threads and have found them.

I cruised Maasdam in April and will do so again in November. I really liked the size of the ship and the number of passengers. I liked cruising out of Norfolk. The ship seemed in relatively good shape. Some elevators were out of service, but using the "ladders" a.k.a. "stairs" was good exercise. The cabin Cat B was the nicest and largest we had ever had.

Was it a perfect ship, a perfect cruise? No, of course not. The search for absolute perfection ruins anything.

Was it enjoyable? Absolutely. In addition to our cruise in November we may sail again with a large family group in April or May of 2005.

Thanks! I read "sail7seas" Canada/New England report. Now you have me longing to go back to New England. We went to Maine & NH several years ago and I fell in love with it. That cruise is definitely on my list of "cruises to do." I agree with you about the fog - in Sitka this past June the fog was so thick and I found that to be so enchanting and mystical.

Thanks CrabbyHarper. You are absolutely right about the search for perfection, however -- I set out on our Alaska cruise on the Infinity this summer expecting and dreaming of the perfect cruise experience - IMHO that is exactly what we had. But, perfection is relative. My idea of it and someone else's can be entirely different.

Sounds like we would have an enjoyable experience on the Maadam. Thanks for the input.

We just got off the Maasdam last week and she is as lovely as ever. The ship is very well maintained, clean and beautiful. We've sailed on her twice and she has become our favorite ship because of her size, beauty, food and service. The "floating apartment complexes," aren't for us.

htank-you for posting on the Maasdam. we will be sailing maasdam for the first time Aug 21,2004 on Canada New england cruise. it will be our 11th cruise but the first one on HAL. These reports make us look more forward to the experience than we already are.

Archived