Epic Ice Bar

jrose1982

I'm taking my first cruise on the Epic in February.

Reading about the Ice Bar, I find this concept incredibly amusing. Mainly because I'm in Alaska and I just step outside to experience 17 degrees. I booked my cruise to escape the ice!

So, what's the deal? Have you been there? What do you think about it? Why did you go?

Are you from warm climates, or cold climates? Was it particularly hot during your cruise? Anything else you want to share about it?

I'm just curious because, like I said, it's amusing. :cool:

Haven't been there but going in a week. My guess it is to see a bar made entirely of ice. The cover charge as gets you 2 or 3 drinks, so if you are going to have a pre dinner drink. .. Might as well experience it

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I'm from Ottawa where today it is -28C so I'm used to the cold also. I've been on the Epic twice & booked again this coming March. The first year I visited the Ice Bar & froze ....but then how often do you go into a room of ice with sandals & a sunburn. They give you a cape etc to wear but if I went again I'd at least wear running shoes, maybe go first night before I had a sunburn :D

We went to the ice bar our first time on Epic but not on this last cruise. For us it was more of the novelty of just being in a bar made completely of ice while being at sea/ in the Caribbean as well as the photos ops. It was definitely something neat to see if you've never been in an ice bar.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We actually have an Ice Bar in Orlando on International Drive. Been there once just to check it out. They give you the coat and hat and gloves. They only let us stay in there for 45 minutes (I think that was the time limit). Like some of the other poster's I'm from a cold weather city, Buffalo, NY so that concept is funny to me also ;)

I'm from Ontario (the province, not the California city) and I loved the Ice Bar. We actually plan on going again on our upcoming cruise. The drinks are good, the ambience is fun - heck, where else can you enjoy a frozen bar while sailing in the middle of the Caribbean?:D

I'm pretty sure it's just the novelty that attracts people to to once or maybe even twice, but it wears off quickly once you've done it. Good ice bars provide a great experience with premium iced vodkas (and other libations) and caviars and such that enhance the whole experience, making it the real deal and worthwhile, but the Epic's Ice Bar is simply a novelty, with nothing to draw people to return.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

The cost for the Ice bar is $20 per person and that includes 2 drinks. The have 6 mixed drinks and 2 virgin drinks on the menu. NO BEER OR WINE is on the menu (even though it's cheaper than a mixed drink) and they will not bring a beer for you. Because of this, I did not go in even though I wanted to because essentially I would have been paying $20 to just walk in and look around. So, if you only drink beer or wine, you are SOL at the Ice Bar.

We went in the ice bar when we were on the Epic. For me, an Arizonan, I thought it was absolutely freezing! I don't think I lasted more than 5 minutes. I also thought that the drinks that were included were not very good. I am glad I checked it out, but I will not be visiting the ice bar on the Getaway next June. Just too darn cold for this Arizona chica!:)

We did the ice bar last Feb. i was skeptical, but we had a blast. Great photos of the ice sculptures. There is a limited number of people in there so you tend to mingling very quickly. Lots of laughs. That being said, not sure if we will do it again in 3 weeks.

Edited by Cruzface

We went in the ice bar when we were on the Epic. For me, an Arizonan, I thought it was absolutely freezing! I don't think I lasted more than 5 minutes. I also thought that the drinks that were included were not very good. I am glad I checked it out, but I will not be visiting the ice bar on the Getaway next June. Just too darn cold for this Arizona chica!:)

Well.........it was! ;):D

Just off the Epic last week. We went to the ice bar, it's $20/person for 2 drink cards per person. The thermometer read 10* when we went. I'm from Virginia and went in wearing the "snuggie" and "one size fits all gloves" along with shorts and flip flops. There was 8 people in there when we got in there. All but 2 others left after 5-10 minutes. We ended up talking to those two people for an hour in there along with the bartender. My 2 drink cards turned into at least 6 drinks. Everything is premixed, the drinks are ok, some I really liked and others not so much.

Would I do it again? No. Should you do it? Absolutely, it was a fun time and great experience but not enough to do over and over.

We went to the ice bar our first time on Epic but not on this last cruise. For us it was more of the novelty of just being in a bar made completely of ice while being at sea/ in the Caribbean as well as the photos ops. It was definitely something neat to see if you've never been in an ice bar.

Exactly why we went - it was fun and we went twice on our cruise.:o

My DD was born with out sweat glands (its genetic) so our world revolves around ice...all summer long.

She loved the idea of going into a ice room while on a cruise in Caribbean weather.

Its basically a very large walk in freezer thats decorated with ice sculptures and a bar. We also scored extra drink coupons from the people who came in wearing sundresses and flip flops. We wore jeans and tennis shoes with socks.

Yes they have non alcoholic drinks.

Its a fun novel thing.

It comes down to what you enjoy doing. Coming from a climate where it never even snows and I love hot weather I know it's not something I would enjoy. They would have to pay me to visit. However other people enjoy the cold and for them it would be fun. We all love doing different things. It's great to have choices. If it's something you would enjoy then it's worth the money. I don't think it's overly expensive.

I say try it !

it is pretty fun especially with a fun group. we put on some music and started dancing...that helped. you can also get straight vodka as well. so if you don't want the fufu drinks, I would definitely just order the vodka straight, no "rocks" needed.

We did the Ice Bar our first time on the Epic, and we had a blast. It is FUN. It is a novelty, we took plenty of great pics, and we were determined to stay in there as long as possible. We went prepared, with Jeans, Sweatshirt, socks and sneakers, and only lasted 25 minutes. I think everyone should try it once, we are glad we did