Italian ports excursions

Shipahoy12

Hi folks. Not been for a while since you gave us great advice for our cruise to the Caribbean Thomson Dream in 2013.

We're going on Thomson Tui Discovery on the Cosmopolitan Classics in September. Would welcome advice on best excursion - from Naples port to Pompeii and then Sorrento or from Naples port to Pompeii and then Positano? Not sure which is the most interesting town for spending a few hours.

We may opt to use the Thomson excursions although they may be a little bit more than local ones.

Thank you in advance:)

Stefan

The "best" excursion is the one that interests you most. We don't know your interests, budget or limitations, so it is very hard to recommend any excursions for you.

Some research on the Med Ports boards would be very beneficial. Can't give you the link right now, but someone else will shortly, I'm sure.

From Naples you can do Pompeii in the morning and then Positano and Sorrento in the afternoon with plenty of time to have lunch at a restaurant along the way and do some shopping. These places are close together. Hire a private driver and go first thing in the morning. Come back an hour before departure. This makes for an amazing day. Enjoy Bella Napoli!

Use your head anywhere in Italy. Don't lay your phone on a table even while having coffee or eating. Don't carry your passport, carry a copy. Don't carry a wallet, only enough cash and 1 Carte de Credito. Wear shorts or pants with velcro pockets and keep stuff in front pockets only. Read

http://thesavvybackpacker.com/pickpockets-europe/ Even my Father in law who lives in Italy has been a victim twice.

Sorrento was my favorite city when I lived in Naples area. I adored just walking around. There is a wonderful restaurant in the middle of the area, can't remember name. Sorrento is known for wood inlay so if you get a chance pick up some of their beautiful pieces. Also they have a few limoncello "factories" (read small store) that serve limoncello and lemon chocolates. You will also see some of the biggest lemons in your life...some are basketball size. Pompeii is interesting and huge. Sometimes you get lucky and local artist will be there and you can pick up a small fresco copied from the walls. Not sure you could hit both in one day as one person suggested unless you felt like rushing. Naples itself is also a neat city with some wonderful areas downtown that are amazing. Just look past the dirty and you can really enjoy the ambience, macchiatos and pizza(from Brandi's of course). As for the lock down advice...I just recommend wallet in front pocket and just be aware of your surroundings. Pickpockets are around but I will say four years living there and I never got pick pocketed and I definitely don't look like a local. The phone advice is good, don't ever leave it lying around same with purse or backpack. Honestly if you could get away without a bag/purse that's best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jmckay331

From Naples you can do Pompeii in the morning and then Positano and Sorrento in the afternoon with plenty of time to have lunch at a restaurant along the way and do some shopping. These places are close together. Hire a private driver and go first thing in the morning. Come back an hour before departure. This makes for an amazing day. Enjoy Bella Napoli!

We did this. Hiring a private driver gets you out there ahead of everyone. We were at Pompeii before it opened. A guide met our driver there and he was fabulous. We would not have known half of what we were seeing at Pompeii without him. WELL worth the money and much better than the one offered by the cruise ship. In Positano and Sorrento our guide/driver gave us recommendations on a restaurant that was fabulous. Got us much closer (less walking) than the big buses and we were able to zip around faster because we weren't waiting on a straggler at the bus. Since it was our first time there, we wanted to see everything we could. We made sure to be back an hour before the ship told everyone to be back and it worked our better than we could ever have hoped it would. LOVED IT!