Making reservations for Restaurant 2?

cruiseej

We're new to Seabourn, looking forward to our first cruise on the Quest through Norway in June. After having now figured out our initial port and shore excursion plans, I'm turning to restaurant reservations. My understanding is that the only restaurant requiring reservations is Restaurant 2, right? How far in advance can these reservations be made? And: are we limited to one such reservation on a 14-night cruise? We've only previously traveled on Regent, where reservations in the specialty restaurants can be booked online in advance of the cruise, but I don't see any reference to restaurant reservations on the Seabourn site. Thanks!

Eric

There are no limits. You can book s often as you like. But check with the maitre'd for when the menu is changing. You do not want to have the same meal over and over.

We usually stop by on the first day of the cruise and reserve for some evening. If you are on a b-to-b, changeover night is a good time to get a table.

R2 is definitely worth checking out to see if it is your cup of tea. As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of times one can go, but the menu repeats on a rotation, so no need to repeat the menu. On a long cruise, there is plenty of room most nights except the night that the menu includes both lobster and steak. In fact, the staff tried to recruit us to return since they were bored by a lack of customers. See what you think...some love it, some not so much.

Pretty much to back up what Mr L says. We only dined there once last cruise and that was turning up on the night on the off-chance they had a table.

It's worth saying that unlike the more mainstream cruise lines restaurant 2 isn't such a necessity. With larger ships dining in the speciality / revenue venues really does up the game in terms of service and quality of food offered. On Sojourn I never felt that jump such was the quality of food and service in the main dining room.

Don't dismiss dinner in the Colonade either. We had a surf & turf, a French and a market selection evening in there all of which were excellent. If the weather permits sitting under cover on the back deck just astern of the Colonade was delightful, particularly if it's just the two of you - or 3 if you're into that sort of thing. One shouldn't judge :)

Either way don't fret about it at this stage. You may get into conversation with people and end up joining them for dinner or else bump into people you know as you enter the dining room. The free style, turn up when you want arrangement for the main restaurant really works well.

Our first cruise we felt we almost had to eat in either the main restaurant or R2. We wanted to get every ounce out of the experience. As more experienced clients than me will testify the more you do the more you relax to the point where some even choose to take dinner in their suites whilst watching a film in their PJs or a robe.

All the best

Henry :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

Thanks for the replies. I'm used to Regent, where the two specialty restaurants are in fairly high demand, and many passengers reserve online in advance of the cruise. If there are no pre-cruise reservations on Seabourn, then I'll just plan to do so when we get aboard. We'll certainly want to try Restaurant 2 at least once.

Do they post the menus anywhere each day or the night before (to know if it's a repeat or a change, or something that appeals to us or not)?

Thanks again!

Eric

Thanks for the replies. I'm used to Regent, where the two specialty restaurants are in fairly high demand, and many passengers reserve online in advance of the cruise. If there are no pre-cruise reservations on Seabourn, then I'll just plan to do so when we get aboard. We'll certainly want to try Restaurant 2 at least once.

Do they post the menus anywhere each day or the night before (to know if it's a repeat or a change, or something that appeals to us or not)?

Thanks again!

Eric

A little tip,just go to R2 and have a word with the Maitre d' and ask to see the schedule of menus,you will then see what each menu contains and what you like and find out what evening to book to get the best menu for you.The lobster and the beef menu are the best.

As Henry says those of us that have sailed for a while really relax and I am one of those that likes to dine in my suite once a week whilst wearing my Mankini cuddling a furry toy and tied to the bed by my wife.

Happy sailing!

Edited by Mr Luxury

As Henry says those of us that have sailed for a while really relax and I am one of those that likes to dine in my suite once a week whilst wearing my Mankini cuddling a furry toy and tied to the bed by my wife.

Happy sailing!

It's true, I shot a video of the last dinner they had which has gone viral in North Korea.

I've got a great picture Mr L kicking it Gangnam style with Kim Jong-un, Pak Pong-ju and Ping Pong-po onboard Kim's Princess 95MY. The karaoke set up has to be seen to be believed but if I hear New York, New York one more time.......

On a more serious note would you believe my supposedly loving family genuinely bought me a Hugo Boss mankini one Christmas cruise.

And no - you can't see the photo !

Anyway - back on topic, is there anything else you would like to know?

Where are you sailing?

I'm sure you'll have a great time. I can't emphasise enough the difference between SB and all the other cruises we've taken. They really do deliver like they say on the packet. If you have a problem or need anything just ask someone when you are on board and they will move mountains to try and deliver.

We are pretty low maintenance cruisers but I can't think of an instance where a request hasn't been met. The staff are in a different league.

The whole idea is you can make a spur of the moment decision as opposed to booking your whole diary 6 or 8 months in advance which seems to be the way a lot of ships are going as numbers increase.

You will also find it very easy to strike up friendships. You see people regularly rather than once or twice during the 2 weeks. Having an open bar also takes away that awkwardness over should you or shouldn't you buy people drinks. It's easy to dip in and dip out of a conversation.

Thanks again!

Eric

To me having to reserve a specialty restaurant months in advance is not the definition of luxury. How do I know that far out what I will want to eat, or at what time or with whom?

To me having to reserve a specialty restaurant months in advance is not the definition of luxury. How do I know that far out what I will want to eat, or at what time or with whom?

Don't remind me. I'm currently having 'fun' with Crystals dining by reservation and specialty restaurant reservation system.

What was it that put you off Crystal?

Size of ship,dreadful main dining room service and dining by reservation that does not work.

Large buffet restaurant with guests picking at the food with their hands.i avoid buffet style on all ships as you cannot trust people to use the utensils instead of their hands.i have seen people sneeze over the food also on various ships.

I had a Penthouse suite which was good but the worst bed I have had at sea.

The only really great thing about the Serenity was the Silk Road restaurant.

On my sailing there was not much to do after dinner as most of the guests went to bed,a bit of an old peoples home experience imo.

Still I've done it and learnt a bit about Crystal to know that it is not for me.

Edited by Mr Luxury

We've generally been quite happy with our experiences cruising on Regent. Their open no-reservations dining in the main dining room works well, whether we want at bale for 2 or 4 or 8 (especially since you can sit in the lounge and enjoy a free cocktail if there's any wait for a table). But after finding the itinerary on Seabourn that worked best for us for cruising the Norwegian coast, we're very happy to be trying Seabourn for the first time. Although... it will be hard to do without the free Internet on Regent! ;) It's been impressive to me how almost uniformly positive and enthusiastic the comments on this board are about Seabourn.

Eric

There are no limits. You can book s often as you like. But check with the maitre'd for when the menu is changing. You do not want to have the same meal over and over.

We usually stop by on the first day of the cruise and reserve for some evening. If you are on a b-to-b, changeover night is a good time to get a table.

Or just check in Seabourn Square - they have the menus for the entire cruise and have even been known to make me a copy to take back to the suite for later reference.

Hmm, our experience has been that one must book R2 at least 3 days in advance, and sometimes substantially further out.

On our second or third morning on the Sojourn last fall (10 night Med) I inquired about dining in R2 that evening. The Guest Services staff member literally laughed at me. I asked when we could dine and was given a reservation for three nights later. We enjoyed our R2 experience a great deal, so the next morning I tried for another reservation and was informed that R2 was booked for the remainder of the cruise.

We are currently on a 21-night Antarctic cruise on the Quest. This time I booked the very first day and succeeded in getting a reservation for our third night onboard, which was also the first formal night (not our first choice). We've since managed to get two additional reservations, both of which have not been for the days we wanted and both of which were made at least three days in advance. This afternoon I tried to get a booking for February 1 (5 days away) and was told the rest of the cruise is fully booked. They did offer to put us on a waiting list.

So I would say it's wise to plan ahead and try to get your R2 bookings the first day you're on board. I agree that it's annoying to make plans so far in advance, but it seems to be the only way one can get one's first choice of dates and menus.

I dislike this reservations free for all for R2. Or should I say "hog it all" since

it seems that on boarding some people book multiple nights and then don't show up (and don't somehow get penalized even though they are reminded same day by Seabourn Square staff) and that shuts out others who are not so wily.

Year ago (I know, I know) you could only reserve same day or next day and this seemed a fairer policy. Why it changed is beyond me and I would like to hear what the advantages may be to this latest "policy", if that's what this rugby scrum is called.

I am not a big fan of R2. Once a cruise is enough for me. Wouldn't that simple rule- once a cruise for a short cruise- solve the question?

Happy sailing!

I dislike this reservations free for all for R2. Or should I say "hog it all" since

it seems that on boarding some people book multiple nights and then don't show up (and don't somehow get penalized even though they are reminded same day by Seabourn Square staff) and that shuts out others who are not so wily.

Year ago (I know, I know) you could only reserve same day or next day and this seemed a fairer policy. Why it changed is beyond me and I would like to hear what the advantages may be to this latest "policy", if that's what this rugby scrum is called.

I am not a big fan of R2. Once a cruise is enough for me. Wouldn't that simple rule- once a cruise for a short cruise- solve the question?

Happy sailing!

But I want to sample all the menus during a single cruise!;)

I've heard they keep changing the reservation system because they found people were gaming the system on some cruises and on other cruises they couldn't give reservations away. I'm fairly certain that on my last two cruises the rule was: once per cruise, after that you could be initially added to a wait list. But that was on a wee sister so rules on the bigger ships may be different. Though Im fairly certain that each cruise Im on seems to have different rules.

At the end of the day if you want a reservation in R2 book it ASAP (or at least ASA you find a menu you like). You never know if there will be a frenzy for the whole thing, or perhaps like one cruise I was on a single menu such as steakhouse.

Edited by Emperor Norton

On our cruise last June (also 14 day Norway) we went to the Square immediately after boarding. I believe they told us we could confirm dinner in R2 once per week onboard (i.e. two times for a two week cruise / not restricted to once per seven day period). Any additional nights would be waitlisted. They printed out a menu schedule for us and we chose our top two and waitlisted a third. The waitlist never cleared! My impression is that certain menus are more popular and will be booked the first day.