problems with Prinsendam

SeaBands

Our main disappointment was the balcony cabin on deck 8. I seemed like the designer never saw a HAl balcony before and everything was backwards and was difficult to manouver around. The sofa was very narrow and the lounge chair was at the other side of the cabin and useless.We had been offered an upgrade and were kicking ourselves for not paying the extra.

The ship is beautiful and the food was good. The British capt. was a treat with many announcements of cruise ship trivia.We switched to as you wish dining and never had to wait. The prime rib was excellent and they served lobster.We were not impressed with the Pinnacle but Canaletto was very good. Wish they would go back to the antipasto tray.

Our main disappointment was the balcony cabin on deck 8. I seemed like the designer never saw a HAl balcony before and everything was backwards and was difficult to manouver around. The sofa was very narrow and the lounge chair was at the other side of the cabin and useless.We had been offered an upgrade and were kicking ourselves for not paying the extra.

The ship is beautiful and the food was good. The British capt. was a treat with many announcements of cruise ship trivia.We switched to as you wish dining and never had to wait. The prime rib was excellent and they served lobster.We were not impressed with the Pinnacle but Canaletto was very good. Wish they would go back to the antipasto tray.

Verandahs on this ship are smaller. The ship was not designed by HAL nor built for HAL.

Sorry your room did not suit. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the ship and the food.

I'm a tad surprised at your comments on the Pinnacle. Curious, was Elvira still the dining room manager there? I suspect by now her contract would be up, but she ran a great dining room when we were there.

Thanks for sharing.

................................... Curious, was Elvira still the dining room manager there? I suspect by now her contract would be up, but she ran a great dining room when we were there.

Thanks for sharing.

Elvira is still PRDM's PG Mngr as we speak

Thanks Copper.

Service was impeccable when we were there and Elvira was one of the best dining room managers I had seen. She went above and beyond and we really enjoyed her and all of the PG staff but that was just our experience on our 30 day cruise.

I think the deck 8 verandah cabins are the ones that were added in a drydock about 5 or so years ago. There have been many reports of problems with those cabins.

Roy

I didn't even look at the deck plan until you posted. You are right. Looks like the OP had one of the new cabins (uggh) not at all representative of Prinsendam. hopefully Seabands confirms. AB?

I didn't even look at the deck plan until you posted. You are right. Looks like the OP had one of the new cabins (uggh) not at all representative of Prinsendam. hopefully Seabands confirms. AB?

What is the name of deck 8 on the Prinsendam? Upper Promenade or what? Thanks.

Sorry you did not like your cabin choice but sounds like you were happy with the rest of your cruise expierence.

We had Elvira on our Zaandam cruise, she was awesome. Wish she could be the Pinnacle Manager on every cruise we were on.:D:D:D

We had Elvira on our Zaandam cruise, she was awesome. Wish she could be the Pinnacle Manager on every cruise we were on.:D:D:D

We also agree that Elvira was the best PG manager we have ever encountered. I had brought my own stash of Truvia (Stevia) with me and when she saw me using them, she offered to keep my supply and it always appeared whenever we dined in the PG. She and her staff run like a well-oiled machine and make the dining experience wonderful! :D:D

I'm sorry you were disappointed with your cabin but happy you told us about it. Those are the sort of things we hope to learn (unfortunately, at someone else's expense) so we try to avoid that cabin when booking.

Happy you found overall things to enjoy.

Welcome back. :)

We too love Captain Tim...so personable. And, we don't care for the Pinnacle as well. I know we are in a very small minority. I ordered the filet as usual...not a good cut of meat this time---very tough. I guess sometimes it's the luck of the draw. DH was happy with his. Too much food there---but I know they feel like they have to give people their money's worth. If you asked here...we warn people about the verandah cabins on deck 8.

We had one meal in the Pinnacle on board Prinsendsm this past July and were underwhelmed especially with service. There were few occupied tables , waiters were OK. The food was certainly better than the regular dining but that is the best I can say about it. We were underwhelmed by the ship across the board.

We had one meal in the Pinnacle on board Prinsendsm this past July and were underwhelmed especially with service. There were few occupied tables , waiters were OK. The food was certainly better than the regular dining but that is the best I can say about it. We were underwhelmed by the ship across the board.

People have different expectations. Similar to myself being in the minority of those not being impressed with the Pinnacle (food), you are in a VERY small minority of those who were underwhelmed with Prinsendam. I'm not saying you are wrong---you must have had different expectations. She is an old ship. There are people here who have compared her to luxury lines (myself included) and luxury lite lines most favorably. We had great service in the Pinnacle. And have NEVER had bad service on the ship, after 4 voyages. I know you were disappointed in your cabin. The cabins are a little shabby...that could have put a damper on your experience, which is understandable. I think if we would have had a cabin in disrepair on our first sailing, we would have been disappointed.

People have different expectations. Similar to myself being in the minority of those not being impressed with the Pinnacle (food), you are in a VERY small minority of those who were underwhelmed with Prinsendam. I'm not saying you are wrong---you must have had different expectations. She is an old ship. There are people here who have compared her to luxury lines (myself included) and luxury lite lines most favorably. We had great service in the Pinnacle. And have NEVER had bad service on the ship, after 4 voyages. I know you were disappointed in your cabin. The cabins are a little shabby...that could have put a damper on your experience, which is understandable. I think if we would have had a cabin in disrepair on our first sailing, we would have been disappointed.

I recognize there are some very loyal Prinsendam cruisers who post here but I am not in a "very small minority" of underwhelmed people according to the member review section of cruise critic. Prinsendam is ranked in the bottom two or three holland America ships and for a while it was the lowest rated ship in the fleet. I did not contribute to these statistics as I don't write reviews.

I recognize there are some very loyal Prinsendam cruisers who post here but I am not in a "very small minority" of underwhelmed people according to the member review section of cruise critic. Prinsendam is ranked in the bottom two or three holland America ships and for a while it was the lowest rated ship in the fleet. I did not contribute to these statistics as I don't write reviews.

and, the problem is a lot of people aren't on cruise critic nor those that are happy bother to post reviews. I totally confess I didn't do one for the last two and should sharpen up.

Like it or lump it, this ship has the highest repeat passengers in the fleet. So, while some are underwhelmed and I get that, a lot are obviously not and are happy to be back on board.

My DH who couldn't care less what ship we are on will sign up for this ship in a nano second. Each to their own. :D

People rave about the N Amsterdam and we were VERY underwhelmed on that ship so we haven't been back so I totally get where you are coming from.

We all have our own experiences. Ours have been good so we are happy campers.

and, the problem is a lot of people aren't on cruise critic nor those that are happy bother to post reviews. I totally confess I didn't do one for the last two and should sharpen up.

Like it or lump it, this ship has the highest repeat passengers in the fleet. So, while some are underwhelmed and I get that, a lot are obviously not and are happy to be back on board.

My DH who couldn't care less what ship we are on will sign up for this ship in a nano second. Each to their own. :D

People rave about the N Amsterdam and we were VERY underwhelmed on that ship so we haven't been back so I totally get where you are coming from.

If I knew nothing about the Holland America fleet and sailed the Prinsendam I would assume it was a lower priced ship within the fleet based based on the physical plant. Food and service were fair to good but nothing special for the per diem paid. I didn't hate the ship, I've consistently said I was underwhelmed by it, especially for the price paid.

I don't think any of us should go into cruise critic member reviews after the fact and write reviews just to skew the statistics higher or lower. I think the member reviews are a good cross section of opinions and include plenty of reviews that are very positive. We're getting ready to book a large family group on a ship with a 91 per cent "loved it" rating, big difference from the 60 some per cent of reviewers that "loved" Prinsendam.

I have to agree, Jacqui!

We did the TA from Rome in November which was our first time on Prinsendam. We absolutely love the Ship, too, and are looking at booking her again in 2016!

I also have to echo what was posted about Elvira. She is wonderful! :).

If I knew nothing about the Holland America fleet and sailed the Prinsendam I would assume it was a lower priced ship within the fleet based based on the physical plant. Food and service were fair to good but nothing special for the per diem paid. I didn't hate the ship, I've consistently said I was underwhelmed by it, especially for the price paid.

I don't think any of us should go into cruise critic member reviews after the fact and write reviews just to skew the statistics higher or lower. I think the member reviews are a good cross section of opinions and include plenty of reviews that are very positive. We're getting ready to book a large family group on a ship with a 91 per cent "loved it" rating, big difference from the 60 some per cent of reviewers that "loved" Prinsendam.

huh??? I just got off the ship three months ago. there is nothing wrong with posting a review.

You can certainly do them on the guides/hotels at least 6 months after.

Saying I should do it and saying I have time are two different things.

after the fact? how the heck do you do a review before the fact? you can't do a review until you get off the ship.

Glad you are going on something you like. It doesn't sound like my cup of tea if it's the ship I think it is - so each to their own as I already clearly said.

A bit of education - a smaller ship commands a higher price as you still need a certain amount of crew to run it and only so many passengers are on it to contribute. It's a hard pill to swallow but it's true.

Prinsendam was built by a luxury line, not Holland America. Because of that, things like windows that get broken have to be specially ordered and take time to get to the ship.

You sail on your ships and I will sail on mine. As long as we are both happy that's the main thing. I take all reviews with a grain of salt. You have to read them to digest if the people are overly negative or overly positive.

In all honesty, this was probably the wrong ship for your first HAL cruise. I suspect you should have gone N Amsterdam or Eurodam. Prisendam has a niche clientele. She's not a typical HAL ship.

Have a great cruise:D