Can I do it? No new clothes/bathing suits?

Chigirlcruzin

I just booked a cruise yesterday! I have been on 3 cruises in the past year. I have about 14 bikinis, all in great condition because I have so many. In my 21 days of cruising, I only repeated 2 dresses (I like to wear a dress every night). I have tons of shoes...So the point is I don't need anything. However, I always say this and always end up buying stuff. I can totally afford it, but I'm running out of room! Can I not buy anything prior to my May cruise?

good luck! I am the same way, I wear a dress everyday and do not like to repeat. My rule when I am in your situation, as long as it is a great deal I will buy because then I can justify it in my head :p

I am having that issue now but with shoes :) I don't need shoes but I keep seeing ones I want everywhere!

I'm struggling with the same problem!

But I'm sure you can do it! Judging by the fact that you have 14 swimsuits, I'm gonna assume you have a lot of clothes as well b/c you sound like me! I have so many swimsuits yet I'm still picking up more for this upcoming cruise smh. But all we need is a little self control :)

I can relate to the oooooh a new outfit for the trip................but after many years of travel I have realized that no one but me really cared and I got tired of dragging all the luggage....not to mention DH giving me that "look"....so now I take color coordinated outfits (and wear them more than once) and shoes..........and if it doen't fit in my 26" suitcase it stays home............it took a lot to get to this point...............

So now I get that new outfit for me at home!!!!!!!!! You didn't think I would stop shopping........never!!!!!

Enjoy your journey

Dee

Oh, I use the cruise as the excuse to buy. I live in Chicago, am single, go out a lot, travel a lot (not just cruises), so I wear my stuff again, but I just like to shop. I've ALWAYS been like this. I like finding great deals, and I use that to justify my purchases. No, I don't need another dress, but it's a $500 dress marked down to $40! And it's my size and looks great...how can I pass this up? And I find buying clothes and shoes fun! I love finding a great deal, and I love to put outfits together with different shoes, jewelry, etc.

Oh, I use the cruise as the excuse to buy. I live in Chicago, am single, go out a lot, travel a lot (not just cruises), so I wear my stuff again, but I just like to shop. I've ALWAYS been like this. I like finding great deals, and I use that to justify my purchases. No, I don't need another dress, but it's a $500 dress marked down to $40! And it's my size and looks great...how can I pass this up? And I find buying clothes and shoes fun! I love finding a great deal, and I love to put outfits together with different shoes, jewelry, etc.

Me too!! I don't have much creativity or originality, but I am good with colors so it seems I'm always able to change the "look" of a garment using different belts, jewelry, scarves, shoes, etc.

I also have become a fan of consignment shops where I buy wardrobe "almost new" items that I could never afford at full retail prices!

Thanks for sharing.....

This exactly!:D

I live in Chicago

Hi Chigirl...........

Glenview here......born and raised in Chicago...........big envy that you are in the city and get to all the wonderful shopping places..........I go to the malls and suburban boutiques.........still can do some damage..........

Dee

You could, but why? Nobody is going to notice on the cruise if you have on new clothes or not. If you have things you like, are fashioanble, and clean/neat why buy more..a waste IMO.

You could, but why? Nobody is going to notice on the cruise if you have on new clothes or not. If you have things you like, are fashioanble, and clean/neat why buy more..a waste IMO.

Funny you say that... I know personally its not about what others will think of my fashions while I'm on vacation, but how I feel wearing them. And I like the orhers who share here only do so for a social outlet until our ship sails... LOL

Funny you say that... I know personally its not about what others will think of my fashions while I'm on vacation, but how I feel wearing them. And I like the orhers who share here only do so for a social outlet until our ship sails... LOL

You understand :)

I live in Chicago

Hi Chigirl...........

Glenview here......born and raised in Chicago...........big envy that you are in the city and get to all the wonderful shopping places..........I go to the malls and suburban boutiques.........still can do some damage..........

Dee

Funny, I rarely go shopping downtown. Too touristy. I work in Deerfield, so I hit Northbrook Court and Old Orchard on a regular basis.

Good luck with your self-imposed challenge!!!

I noticed you have been on the Epic two times. We leave Saturday. Share your best hints, please!!! I am beyond excited. Just went to get my "cruise toes." I am currently sporting Essie "Miami Nice". Miami here I come!!!!

Epic is awesome! Get up early to park your butt in a deck chair! The yellow and orange slide is the most fun. Love Moderno, Cagney's, and Le Bistro. Make your reservations early if you haven't already done so. White hot party is so much fun...all the deck parties are. Don't miss Slam Allen in Fat Cats. Have a blast!

Go shopping in your own closet. I did this just a few weeks ago and found some things I hadn't worn in a long time...perfect for evening wear on a ship. A couple items even still had tags on them.

I have a hard time not buying new myself, I work part time in a local mall and I'm already there. It takes discipline to just walk out the exit after I get off work on Saturdays at 2 pm. There is just so much in the windows that can be tempting :)

I sell luggage, you would not believe how much luggage and other types of travel bags I own...I'm obsessed. But this year I'm trying my best to just save that money for the port days, we'll be in Santa Barbara, San Francisco and San Diego for one day each (I'll stay onboard in Ensenada...been there, don't want to do that again) so perhaps will treat myself on those stops. I think I may get a spa treatment this next cruise as well...a reward for not buying new things I don't need.

With this being our first cruise, I also ended up buying a lot of new clothes. I didn't have much for everyday summer dresses (our casual dinner nights are 'smart casual' so shorts and tees won't do), and found some inexpensive but very pretty and colorful ones at Target, and a couple dress on sale elsewhere - one was only $14! I bought one pair of silver shoes to go with my one long formal gown I already had, and they also go with one cocktail dress that is new. I bought this new one only because a dress I had bought on sale over the holidays (before we knew we were taking a cruise) ended up not fitting and wasn't able to be properly altered. My sister is now the happy owner of this dress, I couldn't find the receipt to return it. I'm also bringing another cocktail dress I already had. Most of my shorts/tanks/tees I already have, and the rest of my heels I already have. I have several swim suits to choose from. I did buy a pashmina (on sale) for cooler nights to use as a wrap.

DH had more in his closet to use than I did, we've bought him a new suit (jacket and pants), and a new tie. This will all go with my new cocktail dress.

EXACTLY.

When I come across deals like that I'm convinced that it was put there specifically for me and there's no way I can pass that up lol.

I say go out and shop! It's better to spend your money now while you're alive and kicking!

EXACTLY.

When I come across deals like that I'm convinced that it was put there specifically for me and there's no way I can pass that up lol.

I say go out and shop! It's better to spend your money now while you're alive and kicking!

I'm trying not to! I don't need anything! I have tons of clothes, shoes, bathing suits, etc. :)

I'm so glad to read that others wear dresses every night. I was planning on packing a dress for every night with more formal gowns for formal nights. Nice to hear that I probably won't be alone.

I bought 2 bathing suits today that I don't strictly need but they were cute and with all the overtime I've been working recently, I can afford it. I'm also looking at some birkinstocks that again, I don't strictly need since I have flip-flops but they're different now, aren't they?

I say, if you can afford it and you want to then shop. However, if you do shop, you should consider giving some of the things you've replaced to charity. I have a strict rule of not buying hangers. Once they're full, if I want new things, I have to give up old things that I donate to those less fortunate.

:) That's a great plan!

Don't buy new hangers. If they are full, donate. Wonderful.

Thanks, I think it's a great plan too. I often shop at and donate to a particular local charity shop that seems to carry items from like minded people. They receive donations and keep the best to sell in their shop and then give the rest to Goodwill. All their proceeds go to a myriad of charities. How many dresses do you really need? While my yearly household income is only somewhere around 60,000-70,000 per year, there are plenty of people out there who would kill for that much. Having actually stood in line for the free bread and vegetables offered from the local food bank, I feel like I should give back.

A year ago I did this self imposed "Raid my Closet" and got rid of everything I truly didn't use.. formerly beloeved things I was too "big" for, I dieted until they fit again..things that were worn out but loved, I repaired or brought to a seamstress...even shoes (thanks to a fabulous old school cobbler here in Fort Lauderdale). If I HAD to buy something for an interview or special event, I went to Goodwill. I did find a $200 brand-new with tags Italian designer dress for $25 and had to buy a pair of boots because I was traveling to a snow belt, but I succeeded and won.

Now I am very careful about buying new clothes. I didn't need to have 10 pairs of flip flops, 12 black dresses, etc.

Archived