Zeebrugge to Bruges. Some options how to get there.

is it possible to do both Brugges and Ypres in one day? We want to see both but are afraid that we miss to much by racing through the pair. Thanks for any responses.

That depends what you want to do exactly. Belgium has the tightest motorway network in the world so driving from Bruges to Ypres would take you less than 1 hour. If your ship is only 8 hours docked you'll loose 2 hours in the car.

I would opt for 1 destination... There's more than enough to see/ do in both cities ( and for Ypres near surroundings) to fill multiple days.

Bruges is a 15-16th century unesco world heritage city with lot's of pubs to taste all of the famous Belgian beers, i would suggest to also take a 45 minutes channel cruise ( Bruges is named the Venice of the North). And than stroll around...

Ypres is smaller but very interesting when you want to learn more about the first world war...

Conclusion: it's possible to get a sight of both cities in 1 day, but I would opt to do just one. Which time of the year you'll be in (Zee)brugge?

If you have more questions, just ask, I'm a 'native', excuse for eventual writing errors... English is not my mother tongue...

I just came back from a cruise. The easiest way from Zeebrugge to Brugge is to use the cruise bus, but it also a most expensive way. It will cost you 8 euros to take you from the cruise ship to the Zeebrugge train station. From there you will buy a train ticket to go to Brugge. Taxi is not a best option too. All the taxi come to the cruise ship are 8 seater van. It will cost you 90 ( not sure) or so one way to Brugge. I only saw two vans stop at the ship when I got off. If you want to save some money and get some fellow cruisers share the taxi with you, I have tried, it is tough to work it out. It is a big boat, every one arrived at different time. It is very hard to gather everybody.

The way I did is to take the bus from the port authority, they will send the bus to take you to the gate, so no one will wondering around the port and get hurt. After You get off , turn right at gate. Find the tram station in the middle of the road. You don't need to across the street, just take the one with your same direction. This stop should be near a church standing across street. The tram looks like the one in the airport. They consider it as a bus in Zeebrugge. Now you need to remember the stop you get on is called Berk and don't forget the church. You get on the tram and buy the ticket from the bus driver to Blankenberge. I paid two euros for one way and it is cheaper to buy the return ticket. This tram will stops at a very busy cross street, it should be the Blankenberge. Get off and walk straight you will get into the train station. Buy a return ticket to Brugge. After you get off at the Brugge, buy a map at train station, because the street is quite confusing in Brugge and you don't want to miss the train by getting lost. Most importantly , give yourself enough time to go back. Because you don't know when the train is going to leave for Blankenberge . I almost miss the boat because I miss the train I am supposed to take. Have fun!

Living not far from Bruges some small remarks and extras:

1) tram stop is named Kerk, not 'berk' kerk is the Flemish/ Dutch word for church... . Trams are operating every 10 minutes ( high season) to 20 minutes low season, most of the time there is a tram each 15 minutes.

2) to go to Blankenberge you have to indeed take one in the direction you are walking. Tram will have sign 'De Panne' which is the end stop of the line.

3) coming back you need a tram named 'Knokke' this is the end stop in the other direction of the 64 km long coastal tram line

4) if you hop on in Zeebrugge Kerk, you will pass:

- Vaart

- Strandwijk

- Duinse Polders

- Sealife/Floreal ( here you can see a see aquarium)

- Pier ( to the Blankenberge pier in the North Sea)

- Station

Get of at the station and buy a return train ticket to Bruges...

To go back do it vice versa...

From Bruges train station, exit the front exit, cross the busy road take the bridge and go in the park to the right (next to the water) continue to the powder tower and go left to the Minnewater (romantic view) and the beghinerie... Etc

Have a nice stay in lovely, but often rainy Belgium!

Do the trams run on Sunday? We will be in Zeebrugge in early May.

Yes they do, they run all year round, it's public transport. It would be like NY metro would not be running on Sundays... :-)

Early May is a nice period, I hope you will have nice weather than!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm well-confused by posts about the shuttles. The port authorities definately lay on a free shuttle at least as far as the port gate (walking in the port is taboo).

But I was uder the impression that the shuttle to Blankenberge station (about 3 miles, for trains to Bruges etc) is free. Certainly is with P&O and Cunard - but apparently not with all cruise lines?

For much of the year, trains from Blankenberge only run hourly (11 mins past the hour, confirming a previous poster). With the vaguaries of a shuttlebus service or the kusttram it's fingers-crossed whether you wind up sat in the station for up to 59 minutes. If that happens, there's a bar across the road with an excellent selection of Belgian beers up to about 9deg proof - but a risk you'll miss a few more trains :D

Never had any problem finding a taxi at the pier, but mebbe we've been lucky. They all currently charge €50 one-way to Bruges. Since Tennant's quote is the same for a booking, mebbe that's the way to go. Even if you're just two, you can probably find sharers on the pier.

JB :)

• 3 weeks later...
We took Brugge Taxi (has a website) that was there to meet us in Zebrugge right on time and brought us back to the ship as well (we had pre-arranged times). I had contacted them by email and they were very responsive. Great deal--much cheaper than the ship's transport.

I have been having a difficult time contacting a taxi service in Zeebrugge. The emails have been returned for every company I have tried.Could you please give me a web site or email address for the taxi service that you used. Thank you

Judy

Edited by letsgo39

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hello,

I'm a local living 40 kms from Brugge (Bruges). Yes this shutle bus is FOC.

See also: http://www.poz.be/sites/all/files/flyer_zweedse%20kaai_website_0.pdf

Link above gives you also a small map of the area + taxi info.

I have heared that the cruise lines don't like the free shuttle bus because they sell less excursions like this, so they certainly don't promote it.

From Zeebrugge you can visit Bruges, Ghent or also Ypres (WW1 battle fields). If you have questions just ask. I'll try to answer them! I got some great help for planning my trips via CC, so I like to return the favour!

**Thank you for this! We will be traveling on 16 Day TA and be in this area 28 Apr 2014 Looking forward to our stop in this city! :)

**Thank you for this! We will be traveling on 16 Day TA and be in this area 28 Apr 2014 Looking forward to our stop in this city! :)

You're more than welcome, enjoy your stay in Belgium!

For the others looking for taxi services. Open the link and you will find a lot of information... . (POZ stands for Port of Zeebrugge).

http://www.poz.be/sites/all/files/fl..._website_0.pdf

You're more than welcome, enjoy your stay in Belgium!

For the others looking for taxi services. Open the link and you will find a lot of information... . (POZ stands for Port of Zeebrugge).

http://www.poz.be/sites/all/files/fl..._website_0.pdf

We booked a taxi company off this site for our trip this August. It's a mini van for 8. I was in Bruges in 1999 with my mother on a land based trip. Glad to be going back with DH. It's a do not miss spot! If you are on a CC roll call, you should have no trouble finding other like minded indie travelers to join you!

We booked a taxi company off this site for our trip this August. It's a mini van for 8.

Does the company have email or did you have phone them to book?

Thanks

Lyn

Lyn:

Go to the link in post #93 and all the info is there. Yes, you can contact them by email.

K

Sorry I must be blind I do not see any email addresses for the taxis

I will keep looking

Thanks anyway

Lyn

Sorry I must be blind I do not see any email addresses for the taxis

I will keep looking

Thanks anyway

Lyn

Try this. They have been very responsive.

martinstaxi at skynet dot be

Letsgo39

Try this. They have been very responsive.

martinstaxi at skynet dot be

Letsgo39

Thanks will give them a try

The company I used before seems to have disappeared

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

Have just returned from a B2B2B on the Infinity. One of our port stops was Bruges.

We used Taxi Snel to transport us to and from Bruges. I had reserved two 8-passenger vans. The cost is €50 per van each way which works out to €7/pp if you have 8 in the van.

On May 12, 2013, the port was not letting the taxis in. Dominique of Taxi Snel had advised me of this in advance and we took the free shuttle to the gate of the dock where we found our vans and drivers waiting. On our return, the drivers had convinced the people at the gate to let them drive us right up to the ship.

The vans were clean and comfortable, the drivers were polite and personable, and they were in each place exactly at the time they said they would be. It was an excellent experience and I would highly recommend this service. Here is their website: http://www.taxisnel.be/

Have just returned from a B2B2B on the Infinity. One of our port stops was Bruges.

We used Taxi Snel to transport us to and from Bruges. I had reserved two 8-passenger vans. The cost is €50 per van each way which works out to €7/pp if you have 8 in the van.

Thanks for the information

Lyn