Latest you can arrive at ship?

So we are doing the Reflection on Friday October 2nd which departs at 5pm from Rome (well the port that I am not going to spell correctly haha)

The night before we have reservations at Osteria Francescana in Modena so either have to take the overnight train arriving in rome at 630am..or take the 7am train that transfers to the port and gets us there around 2pm.

So trying to figure out which option makes the most sense.

Thanks!

Wow! As a general,rule you should be at the pier at least 90 min before sailing. You also should allow about a half hour to get from the Civitavecchia Station to the pier..and this assumes you can find a taxi (not always possible). You would need more time to take a local bus to the current port entrance and wait for the port shuttle bus. Personally we would not gamble on that 2pm options (trains can run quite late) unless we could easily catch up to the ship the following day.

Otherwise the overnight train makes some sense. Assuming you can handle your luggage we would thentake the train to Civitavecchia where we would walk to a nearby restaurant for a long breakfast before heading over to the port.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The later arrival is risky! Whilst we have always enjoyed public transport in Italy it doesn't always go smoothly. Remember boarding begins from about 11am so you would not be waiting too long. You could always try to find a cafe or restaurant port side for a meal and comfortable 'pass the time'....

Do not count on transportation in Italy to run on schedule. And your schedule includes a train and a transfer, 2 opportunities to be delayed.

I would absolutely take the overnight train and find a morning cappuccino and cornetto in Civitavecchia before heading to the port. I don't remember what time they open for check in (I think around 10?), and then you hopefully will be able to board around 11-11:30.

OP says that the overnight train get them to Rome at 6:30 am.

Hope they are at the Termini station. Then they need to take another train to Civitavecchia, then a bus or taxi to port entrance. Do know they have both fast and slow trains from Rome to port town. Slow one took us one hour or more and the fast one took 45 minutes.

Take the overnight and pre purchase your tickets to the port too. You should be fine but tired.

Edited by Azulann

Transportation in Italy can be a challenge. Strikes are not uncommon.

I'd also suggest the overnight train, hopefully with a quick transfer at Termini Stazione.

Don't forget to validate your tickets!

Have a back up plan and there is a website listing transportation strikes. At the moment I can't recall the specific site but someone will surely post or you could google it.

I would travel overnight. Is it a sleeper train? We are great fans of sleeper trains.

We are great hanger about people. We were in Rome Termini for about three hours I think in May. Although no strikes, there had been quite a few accidents/delays on the tracks. Venice, for example had a train 70 minutes late. There was another one too from Lucce. Broken down trains.

Actually, we often have delays thinking about it.

Civitavecchia is a nice spot. You come out of the station and there is the sea and if the sun is shining, well, what more do you need?

Go and have a cappuccino and an Italian croissant and catch your breath before the cruise. We got to the ship the other time about 11.00am. If your overnight is on time and you catch the train to Civitavecchia without too much of a wait you could be there by 08.30. See all the sad people going home after their hols.

Ideal:D

Seat 61 is an excellent site.

When travelling in Europe, try to book through the train company in that country. I know it is tempting to use rail europe but you have better offers and more up-to-the-minute information if you go to SNCF or Trenitalia. I use Trenitalia all the time and they are excellent.

We join the Summit in San Juan on Dec 5 Ship leaves at 20.30

Flight arrives at 16.45 - About an hour for customs and luggage.

So out of the airport by 6pm........ not much time is there?

You generally need to be the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to departure. This is very close with no margin for any problems. I would be too anxious to enjoy the start of my trip.

Edited by MommaBear55