Smith family luau?

Silverp777

I am cruising on the POA in a couple of weeks. My family and I are wanting to go to a luau show but, do not want to eat. I see on Smith's Family Luau on Kauai that you can go see their show without eating for a lower cost fee. Do you all know the best way to get transportation to the Smith Family Luau from the POA port in Kauai? Also, is there any other luaus that you can go to on Maui or Kauai that you can just go to the show and not eat the luau food?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

I've never been to the Smith's Family Luau but noticed on their website that they list transportation options to their luau.

NCL – Pride of America Guests

Your ship is usually scheduled to overnight on Kauai on Thursday night. We operate our family’s luau on “ship nights” from February through October.

Transportation from Pride of America is available for the luau at a cost of $12 per person. Choose “Pride of America” when booking your reservation to make the transportation option available. Taxi fare is approximately $25 - $30 each way.

Also on Trip Advisor it's well rated by those who have attended:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60623-d1570043-Reviews-Smith_Family_Garden_Luau-Lihue_Kauai_Hawaii.html

I am not aware of any large luau shows here on Maui that do not include a meal & drinks. Lahaina Cannery Mall sometimes has free luau performances in their airconitioned courtyard as does the outdoor Kaahumanu shopping center. You could check their websites to learn if any of their times work for you.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I am cruising on the POA in a couple of weeks. My family and I are wanting to go to a luau show but, do not want to eat. I see on Smith's Family Luau on Kauai that you can go see their show without eating for a lower cost fee. Do you all know the best way to get transportation to the Smith Family Luau from the POA port in Kauai? Also, is there any other luaus that you can go to on Maui or Kauai that you can just go to the show and not eat the luau food?

I never seem to escape any Hawiian vacation without a Luau. I've done too many, the Smith Family is a nicely run one.

One thing to consider there are many displays and activities prior to dinner at many Luau, not sure if you don't eat whether you arrive early and get to do that and just mill around or have to come after dinner. If after dinner you do miss some fun stuff, crafts and such.

You are incorrect, there is no way to just see the show at a lower cost.

Maybe what you are looking at is the entry fee during the day to see gardens.

http://www.smithskauai.com/garden-luau/

You are incorrect, there is no way to just see the show at a lower cost.

Maybe what you are looking at is the entry fee during the day to see gardens.

http://www.smithskauai.com/garden-luau/

This from the Smith luau website:

"Already have dinner plans?

You can still reserve “show only” tickets online by clicking here. Gates open at 7:30pm (November through February: 7:15 P.M.) for those who would like to only attend the show."

The cost for adults for show only is listed as $15.00 per person.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank the OP for this thread. This thread alerted me to the fact that they offer economically-priced transport and we booked Smith's a few minutes ago!:D

We had been trying to decide which FULL Luau (in our case) to attend and we were not impressed with the reports or the PRICE of NCL's offerings. We had been trying to determine whether to attend Smiths or perhaps one of the one's on Maui but had concerns about how to get to Smiths.

I never seem to escape any Hawiian vacation without a Luau. I've done too many, the Smith Family is a nicely run one.

An honorable mention to chipmaster as that statement from an experienced Hawaii traveler gave us that extra vote of confidence that helped cement the decision.

CHEERS!

Edited by ndabunka

I also have been considering this. We were going to add fern grotto boat ride then luau. I asked about $12 transport and was told the price is being raised to $14. Plus that is one way, so I was quoted a price of $28 total pp? For 8 of us that is steep. Good to know cab is $30 one way.

• 2 weeks later...
I also have been considering this. We were going to add fern grotto boat ride then luau. I asked about $12 transport and was told the price is being raised to $14. Plus that is one way, so I was quoted a price of $28 total pp? For 8 of us that is steep. Good to know cab is $30 one way.

Just back from this cruise. The $12 per person covered us to and from the venue (about 15 minutes from the ship) on a VERY NICE motor coach run by Roberts. We booked directly with Smith on their own website so perhaps you are (mistakenly) trying to book on one of the discount websites?

The food was VERY good & Smiths do a good job with the show even if it did seem to run a bit long. We had 3 VERY obnoxious couples sitting directly behind us basically running the atmosphere with the following comments every 1/2 minute... "Like, we should TOTALLY BE IN AWE about this... that dancer can't dance... did you see the nail polish I have on tonight? It's absolutely FABULOUS!!!!...like, my gawd, that guy dancing with fire is REALLY AMAZING!.... like, you know?!"

A number of us were VERY bothered by the constant chatter. After about 20 minutes of this I finally turned around and stared right at the MAIN perp until her husband finally said something to her that seemed to shut her up ... for about 10 minutes... before she went right back to her routine. Turning around and staring a second time got her to shut up a bit quicker.

I would like to say it was the FREE mia-tia's but I think she really had NO IDEA exactly HOW obnoxious she really was being

Edited by ndabunka

Good to see they're now offering a $12pp shuttle. This wasn't available when we cruised on POA in February 2014. We booked through Robert's Hawaii.

We loved the atmosphere, buffet dinner, entertainment and the luau! Doing the Smith's family luau was one of the highlights of our cruise! :D