The lesser known towns on the Amalfi Coast.

I-Cruiser

Has anyone done these towns on the Amalfi coast?

Minori.

Maiori.

Cetara.

Tremonti.

We have done the Amalfi cost several times and are looking for something less touristy.

These towns are beyond Amalfi (the town) and from what I have read has lots of charm and history.

Tremonti is supposed to be the birthplace of pizza and Cetera is a fishfood haven.

Another option would be to do the towns on the Sorrento peninsula:

Termini.

Sant Agata.

Massa Lubrense.

Any info would would be appreciated.

We spent the week of Thanksgiving a couple of years ago at Agriturismo Villa Maria above the town of Minori. We had been to the Amalfi coast a couple of other times (not on cruises, we are land travelers) and were looking for something less traveled. We are also very active and from this spot we spent long days hiking town to town.

What types of specifics are you looking for?

One needs to be careful about randomly using a small town on the Amalfi Coast. Nearly all would require you to have a rental car for ease of transportation. This is fine for moi (we often drive throughout Italy and the Amalfi Coast) but many folks do not like driving in Italy. Our town of choice, when we stay on the coast, is Praiano because of its good lcoation (about 5 miles on the Amalfi side of Positano), a few decent hotels, and free parking. In Praiano we can also use the regional Orange bus to get to Positano if we do not feel like dealing with the parking hassles in that city.

That being said, DW and I are somewhat adventurous and would consider small towns if we had a decent place to stay and free (or inexpensive) parking. But there are advantages to staying in a town that has a few restaurants because many like to "indulge" with their dinner and driving back after dinner is not a good idea with alcohol in one's blood.

Another great place to stay would be in Ravello! Not only is the entire town picturesque, but it has plenty of options for both sleeping and eating. And parking is relatively easy in Ravello.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We spent the week of Thanksgiving a couple of years ago at Agriturismo Villa Maria above the town of Minori. We had been to the Amalfi coast a couple of other times (not on cruises, we are land travelers) and were looking for something less traveled. We are also very active and from this spot we spent long days hiking town to town.

What types of specifics are you looking for?

Thank you for your reply.

Of course I have read about these towns and know very well they are small non touristy places.

However,I wanted to know what others had done/seen while visiting these towns.

As for our next visit we have booked a tour to see some of the towns on the Sorrento Peninsula.

I would do the Amalfi towns on a land trip or if a ship docked in Salerno.