Newbuild Nbr 29 "little" Voyager of the seas

Hello everybody.

I am fairly new on this forum. I am John and I live in Belgium. Besides enjoying a good cruise every now and then, I also love to build radio controlled ship models. I have build all kinds like tugboats, yachts, sailboats,.. you name it. They are all radio controlled. Only now and then I see a radio controlled ferry on exhibitions, but fairly never a cruise ship, with the exception of the Titanic.

Cruiseships are so elegant and impressive, I had to build one. So I made a model of the Splendour of the Seas. 2.09Meters in lenght. I did not have that much of information, and then the internet was not that widely used as today. But to cut a long story short, I was invited to visit the 'real' Splendour of the Seas in Amsterdam later, and I was just stunned!!! I could not believe the grandeur and luxury of a cruise liner. But after seeing the real thing and noticing all the errors I've made on my model, I have shocqued many fellow modellers by taking a saw and cutting off everything above the promenade deck and threw it away. The hull was pretty good and with some corrections, it was fit to be rebuilt. Shortly after I made my first cruise on the Enchantment of the seas. Taking hunderds of detail pictures it was obvious the "Splendour of the seas would become the Enchantment of the Seas. At those times Bridge visits were still allowed and I pictured the plans on the wall, so I had everything I needed. It has been on TC, several magazines and the first price out of 500+ boats in a contest during Euro-Modellbau.

enchantment-1.jpg

It is equipped with 2 powerfull motors for thrust, 2 bowthrusters in the end and one in the rear. The radars had actual small working motors, lights,...

After 2 years to complete, I build a model of the Seabourn Legend. Exact 2 meters in lenght, she had some more extra's. The rear marina door could be opened from my remote. It had lights under water, retractible stabilizers, anchors could be dropped and raised,...

2 years later I wanted to build the Disney Magic, but it turned out to become a 1.7 meters long fantasy model, I simply had not enough information to build it correct.

DSCN1431-1.jpg

But during this building, I was informed the Enchantment of the seas was comming to Rotterdam. They were going to cut the poor ship in 2 pieces to be lenghtened. Only a 2 hours drive away, I had to see this. Sending some pictures to the shipyard immediately resulted in an invitation with my model. I was impressed how big such a ship is when standing on the bottom of a drydock. There I met with some of Royal Caribbean architects. They obviously liked my model and asked what I was building now... Disney... so I was promtly offered the plans of the Voyager of the Seas as I told them I intended to buid that one next of I get enough info to build a model. They actually send the plans over to my house with my promise no preproductions will be handed out.

The Disney model was finished earlier then I planned to becasue I was very excided about the start of the model Voyager of the Seas.

Model number 29 "Voyager of the Seas"

Start may 2008

The hull is the most difficult thing to make. Also the most time consuming. As I have build several ships before I did not make so many pictures until now, which I regret today. The hull is made from wood, completely made according to plan.

Length of the hull turned out at 230cm. So that is a big model (7.54 feet). the hull must be big enough to hold a car battery for power, and small enough to be able to transport. the hull is made in 2 parts for this reason.

After the wooden hull is completed, a mold is made from resin and multiple layers of fibre glass. Then the final hull is made within this mold, and voila, the "little" Voyager begins te get recognizable shapes. The ducktail among the best known.

Wooden ribs are build in for extra support, holes for the bowthrusters...

Azipods

The Voyager was among the first cruise ships equipped with azipods. No more traditional rudders and shafts. I used an older hull of a yacht as a test bed. I made an azipod myself, but the motor was so small, it had inadequate power. So I made one with a transmission and a bigger electric motor in the hull instead of in the azipod under water. It was very noisy where the big hull vibrated even more. I was never able to solve that problem. Problem 2 is that is is very difficult to steer.

On your next cruise on a ship with azipods, look aft when the ship in cruising in a straight line. It zig-zags a little for probably the same reason. The least touch to the stick on my transmitter would swipe its rear end all the way. I had to abandon this idea, and I slowly went back to a traditional shaft and rudder. Only I made the rudder like an azipod, so it would at least look like it.

I see the first signs of professional model azipods. The moment they are available I will probably build them into the model.

Electronics

2xRobbe power 1000 electric motors

4x Steinhagen bow thrusters. (3 are fake, 1 actually works)

1x Robbe stern thruster (as I have no real azipods for now)

4x retractable stabilizers

1x Steba anchor Winch

2X water alarm (loud alarm if water would enter the hull)

2X micro electric motors for radars

1x 12V car battery, 3x 6V batteries

Contruction

Model ships face the same problems as the real ones. Stability. I learned from previous models the weight has to be as low as possible. Especially higher than the pool deck. So I do not use wood anymore, but Nylon. It is a type of plastic. It it is very light, paints well, may get wet, and even bends well when heated. All the decks are made with this stuff.

The cabins are not such a pleasant part to make, becasue it does not seem to end. cabins you see from outside, I had milled professionally via CNC. It would be impossible to make them all perfect. (I did try)

P1020639.jpg

In this picture you can see the 2nd generation azipods still there and the milled outer sides of the cabins. Oh, and meet my daughters Ellen and Celine!

Today, the model looks like this;

voyageroftheseas-1.jpg

The front and rear are in contruction now, and I hope to start building the pooldeck soon, that is my favorite part to make. This is when the model becomes very recognizeable.

I have made a cruise on the Voyager of the seas twice (needed lots of pictures :D) and once on the Navigator. I used actual color schemes to makr the exact colors all over the ship. I dit not get bored at all.

So more pictures to follow soon.

John