shorts in the dining room for a 3 year old boy?

One other note, don't have him wear camouflage in the islands. That is a major issue, especially on adults.

Wow, I had no idea! For all the times we've been on cruises and land-based vacations in the Caribbean, this is certainly news to me. I guess I won't be packing the camo shorts now :(

Edited by my3guys

Wow, I had no idea! For all the times we've been on cruises and land-based vacations in the Caribbean, this is certainly news to me. I guess I won't be packing the camo shorts now :(

Again, not all islands in the Caribbean have the "No Camouflage" restriction.

The people that will be "appalled" by your 3-year old can spend their time more constructively by confronting the adults in the "wife beater and ball cap" uniform that they can't seem to dine without. If in the unlikely event that his dress is questioned by staff, just point out a few of the adult dress code violations that you will see all over the MDR, where the staff seems to have little interest in enforcement.

Your child will be cute as can be if nicely dressed with shorts. In the very-formal Victorian times, small children were considered dressed up when in shorts.

Not just Victorian times - look at JFK JR at his father's funeral to see what a small child wears to a very formal occasion. Upper class Brits still dress young boys in shorts until they reach a certain age. Just look at recent pictures of Prince George.

OP - your 3 year old will be fine in shorts. What some post here on CC is not the reality of what happens on the ship.

It wasn't all that long ago that shorts were de rigueur for young boys. Long pants were a sign that they were "grown up".

Pretty sure no one will blink an eye at a 3 yo in a cute shorts outfit. If they have a problem with it, well, that's their problem and they need to seek help.

Here we go again!

As a parent, I know how difficult and expensive it can be to keep your kids outfitted in clothing for the current season, much less for special occasions. We don't consider dinner on a vacation to be worthy of a lot of extra clothing expenditures! Don't listen to the folks here who will love to tell you what a bad parent you are regarding your choices! You know how your kids are, and what will make them feel comfortable, calm and have a pleasant time! After all, isn't that what vacation is about - having fun?

Edited by clawmachine

if you are old enough to dress yourself, you are old enough to abide by the dress code suggestion. Pants can be had for under a buck at any Thrift store.

So since it's safe to assume that a 3 year old is not dressing himself, you must be saying that shorts are OK in this mixed message. :confused:

Of course they are...:)

if you are old enough to dress yourself, you are old enough to abide by the dress code suggestion. Pants can be had for under a buck at any Thrift store.

I'm not sure where you live, but this reminds me of your last suggestion on this topic - to buy "linen" pants for my tween boy. Neither linen pants for tweens nor $1 pants are something that can be found easily, if at all. I shop for my kids' clothes all the time. It gets very expensive, thrift stores or not. This is reality.

Kids and adults have a right to enjoy what they are wearing while they eat without feeling judged by those who deem themselves perfect!

So since it's safe to assume that a 3 year old is not dressing himself, you must be saying that shorts are OK in this mixed message. :confused:

Of course they are...:)

I was wondering myself, what part of 3 years old, she was having trouble comprehending.

Now I cant really remember back 42 years ago when I was three but Im about 100% sure i wasnt to the point of choosing my own clothes to wear and dressing myself.

The OP will probably tell us her darling little angel was dressing themselves at 6 months old :rolleyes:

Edited by ryano

They don't want shorts in the dining room at dinner, but feel free to ignore their request, because they will likely not enforce it.

So true.... On one cruise we were on, we watched some guy at a nearby table who wore 'farmers' coveralls everynight to the dining room. For formal night, he wore a clean shirt underneath..... :)

Seriously ... on a 3 year old ... who cares

ON most cruises NO ONE CARES, no matter what. I have see many people(old and young) in MDR with clothes that should only be worn at home, And that includes FORMAL NIGHT.

NOBODY is going to mind your 3 year old wearing shorts in the MDR, on formal night or any other night. Shorts are appropriate attire for young boys - in more formal times, back in the past, a little boy wouldn't have graduated to long trousers until they were 11 or so.

I was wondering myself, what part of 3 years old, she was having trouble comprehending.

Now I cant really remember back 42 years ago when I was three but Im about 100% sure i wasnt to the point of choosing my own clothes to wear and dressing myself.

The OP will probably tell us her darling little angel was dressing themselves at 6 months old :rolleyes:

I'm guessing if we let him choose his own clothes for the dining room it would probably be a bathing suit! I'm not going down THAT controversial road!

My original concern was not really if it would offend anyone, but would he be turned away from the dining room since it seems on some ships, on some occasions it does happen.

but would he be turned away from the dining room since it seems on some ships, on some occasions it does happen.

I wouldnt worry about that at all. I am 100% confident they will not turn you away for your 3 year old wearing shorts. I am also about 100% confident you will see adults in shorts in the MDR for dinner as well. Even on formal night. ;)

I wouldnt worry about that at all. I am 100% confident they will not turn you away for your 3 year old wearing shorts. I am also about 100% confident you will see adults in shorts in the MDR for dinner as well. Even on formal night. ;)

Exactly!

This is what I wrote in my past three reviews and I am sure it will probably be the same on my upcoming cruise in October:

Dinner Dress Suggestion in the MDR per the Cruise Compass: (On my Freedom Cruise)

Day 1 Casual (Whatever you wore aboard)

Day 2 – Formal (Monday)

Day 3 – Smart Casual

Day 4 – Tropical Casual

Day 5 – Formal (Thursday)

Day 6 – Casual

Day 7 - Casual

We saw it all in the MDR. We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

Formal Nights:

There were two formal nights on this cruise on Monday & Thursday and the style of dress on these nights were men in some Tuxes, suits, shirt and ties, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open shirt collar. Women wore gowns, evening dresses

And………………………………….(Hold onto your seat)……………………..

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR. I will not give my views as to what we think as that is not the purpose of my review.

I seriously have no idea... :(

The reason is because...wait for it...they're NOT "passing judgment." That's just one of those terms that's thrown around so one poster can demonize another poster's opinion. :cool:

Now, as for why some people like to demonize others, I don't really know. Perhaps it makes them feel better about themselves to tear someone else down.

Edited by Paul65

Apparently, that is also the age that one can commence passing judgment on others. :rolleyes:

Same here! And maybe even up to this day if you were to ask my wife...;):D

This is the first I have ever heard about the camo thing. Maybe because I don't wear it.

But why is there a rule for some islands that you can't wear camo?

"You shouldn’t wear camouflage.

Wearing camouflage-style clothing on many Caribbean islands (including Grenada, Barbados, Jamaica, and St. Kitts) is against the law because people have tried to impersonate local police or military officials to harass or rob people. If you’re seen wearing camouflage clothing while in port, the real police on these islands may ask you to change your clothes or — worse — charge you a fine or even arrest you."

Edited by setsail

I have a question....at what age is it expected that a "child" should dress according to the dress code. I have read this very same question asked about a 3 year old, a "tween" and a "teen". For myself, my kids were a jacket and tie when they were 3 years old at appropriate times. They still wear a jacket and tie, and they are no longer "children".

This question always amuses me. It's not what RCCL will do. Instead, its a parenting question. That is why, you will always get so many answers. Yes, I believe you can never be too young to follow. At age 5, kids wear a uniform to school. I know, not all kids, but many. Go to any of the islands you visit, and every school age kid you see is wearing a uniform. My school district has a hybrid uniform policy.

That's the reason, I find this topic amusing. Toddlers, tween, teens and sometimes even adults, feel that they are special in some way and that they should be excused.

So, if you want to use these moments as a teaching moment, than go ahead. It's what you teach that is important, such as go as you please, or dress appropriately. It's you choice, and either way, it won't bother me.