Seasickness on Transatlantic?

hickoryhunt

This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if it is in the wrong spot - there is so much to absorb on Cruise Critic. My first (and only) cruise was on the QE2 in October, 1979, from New York to San Juan, Puerto Rico (one day) and back. I loved the first day, was queasy the second, and by the end of the second was thoroughly seasick. By the fourth day I was so dehydrated that the ship's doctor gave me an injection. I slept through the fifth day, drowsed through the sixth day and was okay on the seventh, our last. The other three people I travelled with were not as sick, but all experienced at least one day where they skipped the dining room. I swore I would never get on another ship again - I've always joked that if there is divine retribution for sins once we die, my "time" will be spent on a ship.

Fast forward thirty+ years and my husband tells me last week that his dream has always been to do a transatlantic crossing on Cunard! I want so much to make that dream come true, but don't want him to be saddled with a sickie. I need to hear from those with real seasickness issues who have been able to overcome them on a transatlantic crossing by whatever methods - I will try them all. I also need to hear from those who've tried the methods and failed to overcome the seasickness. Based on your replies, I'll decide if I dare try again!

Well first off I would like to extend a warm welcome to cruisecritic. I have been on QM2 and QE2 and I think QM2 rolls much less that QE2 did. Hope this helps. I have never experienced seasickness, but have been told that it is a pretty horrible experience. I have done several crossings(about 4 to date, Check my signature) and only one had rough seas. Luckily it was on QM2 which was built for crossings and is the most stable ship for them. I have heard that if you should start feeling bad you should take something immediately or better yet as soon as you set sail. That may have been your first mistake back in 1979. I am sure you'll get better advice from those who have been there done that.:)

Denise

hickoryhunt,

I was seasick several times crossing on QE2, but I've crossed twice on QM2 and once on QV with only very slight issues. On one of the QM2 crossings, I could barely tell we were at sea!

I can't say I've had methods fail. I do now take Bonine starting before the ship leaves port (usually stop on day 2 and don't have any issues). I do pack some candied ginger and will drink ginger ale if I feel a bit queasy. I also drink a lot of champagne, so the ship could be moving or it could just be me! :D

J

Remedies: Ginger candies/capsules, ginger ale, Bonine (take the first dose the night before sailing and usually at night so you aren't sleepy during the day). Going top decks in the fresh air and looking at the horizon (sounds hokey but this is the one that works for me) no matter what the weather is up there. After about 1/2 an hour I'm good for the rest of the trip. Let me also say I'm not one to get really seasick so I can't vouch for the other treatments.

Many swear by the 'bands' that are worn on the wrist, as well as some kind of patch (sounds like a nicotine patch to me).

Also, having sailed the QM2 we had a smooth passage in mid-May and she was built to be very stable and has more modern engineering than the QE2. I think you will find that if you don't worry about the mal de mer you might not experience much of anything.

Good luck! I hope you will consider taking a cruise/crossing and getting hooked like many of us. :)

Not a seasickness sufferer - but I'd second what others have already said, QM2 is much more stable than QE2, much less pitching or rolling. In addition with 7 night crossings there is plenty of time for them to steer clear of bad weather....

This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if it is in the wrong spot - there is so much to absorb on Cruise Critic. My first (and only) cruise was on the QE2 in October, 1979, from New York to San Juan, Puerto Rico (one day) and back. I loved the first day, was queasy the second, and by the end of the second was thoroughly seasick. By the fourth day I was so dehydrated that the ship's doctor gave me an injection. I slept through the fifth day, drowsed through the sixth day and was okay on the seventh, our last. The other three people I travelled with were not as sick, but all experienced at least one day where they skipped the dining room. I swore I would never get on another ship again - I've always joked that if there is divine retribution for sins once we die, my "time" will be spent on a ship.

Fast forward thirty+ years and my husband tells me last week that his dream has always been to do a transatlantic crossing on Cunard! I want so much to make that dream come true, but don't want him to be saddled with a sickie. I need to hear from those with real seasickness issues who have been able to overcome them on a transatlantic crossing by whatever methods - I will try them all. I also need to hear from those who've tried the methods and failed to overcome the seasickness. Based on your replies, I'll decide if I dare try again!

Hi, I did my first transatlantic crossing last September westbound, one of my worries was would I have seasickness. I could hardly tell I was at sea. I think if you decide to try it you are on the most stable liner and the best for any weather that may come along.

We have just returned from another trip and again very possitive, no seasickness. We are back on in September for a med trip. I'm deffinately hooked and cannot wait for September to come.

Catherine

I was on the QM2 last October when the ship hit the worst weather ever a force 11 gale and it last 2 and bit days.

I thought my worst fear had arrived, seasickness and a ruined crossing, the ship was really very stable and i felt a little uneasy in the morning, By the time I got to the commodore club to help with the CC meeting I was was told by everyone, eat ginger, drink ginger etc, I was given a hugh bag of ginger to eat, had ginger ale to drink, within a few minutes I felt much better and I was fine for the rest of the voyage, it worked for me.

I might ad that a few others who said they didnt like ginger suffered those few days.

All my other crossings and cruise on QM2 have been wonderful , never a problem and I really dont think you will have either,

so my advice is Ginger,

I second the ginger approach but if you are very prone to mal de mer, the injection is the way to go as soon as you begin to feel queasy. As you mentioned, it does put you to sleep. For most people it is only a few hours then you are good to go for the rest of the voyage. I do agree with the others that stated that QM2 is very stable. Quite true.

J.

I have friends who fly aerobatic airplanes and they take me for rides where they do loops, rolls, spins and fly upsidedown. I use sea-bands on my wrists and chew on ginger to keep from feeling ill. I have also lent my sea-bands to friends on chemotherapy. In addition to the standard wrist & ball sea-bands I also have a set that pulses a small electric shock (very small) onto your wrist.

Last year on a T/A we had one really rough day. They had to shut down the planetarium and cancel the shows for that day. We used the sea-bands and ginger and had no problems. At dinner the ship seemed empty as about 1/3 of the guests were nowhere to be seen.

I have always suffered from severe seasickness and could not even cross the North Sea between UK & France without feeling awful.

My first cruise was on the QE2 and the first night- did I suffer.

Now I wear wristbands and every evening even if it is calm I take an avomine travel tablet. It really seems to work and I now cruise 3 times a year.

I did read that as you get older you suffer from seasickness less - That must be the ONLY perk of getting older;)

The QM2 is very stable and I've done 7 crossings, some like a millpond and others where there was some action. My advice would be to book a cabin midships and preferably lower down where even during storms I have barely felt any movement.

As others have said, seasickness is less of a problem on QM2 than almost any other ship - my wife suffers from terrible seasickness (she became ill just stepping onto a boat on the mississippi when it was millpond flat) but barely even notices she is at sea on Qm2.

However, one thing that does seem to be the case is that, whilst seasickness is undoubtedly a physical condition, if you prime yourself to think it is going to be terrible and that you are going to feel it, you will suffer worse. Go on board with a positive frame of mind and you will probably barely notice you are at sea most of the time!

I have always suffered from severe seasickness and could not even cross the North Sea between UK & France without feeling awful.

My first cruise was on the QE2 and the first night- did I suffer.

Now I wear wristbands and every evening even if it is calm I take an avomine travel tablet. It really seems to work and I now cruise 3 times a year.

I did read that as you get older you suffer from seasickness less - That must be the ONLY perk of getting older;)

;) Ah thats why Im ok these days,I knew age had benefits lol

I worked on oil installations in the 1970's in the North Sea. It was rough! I never suffered but an OIM (offshore installation manager) did suffer. The platforms were rigid but I swayed when speaking to him and he went green. It is something you either have or do not have. I hate flying but put up with it.

Please relax and enjoy the journey. I worked on the QE2 in the 60's and she was built for the crossing. The QM2 is stronger and sturdier. By the way it could be a millpond at times.

I was on the QM2 last October when the ship hit the worst weather ever a force 11 gale and it last 2 and bit days.

I thought my worst fear had arrived, seasickness and a ruined crossing, the ship was really very stable and i felt a little uneasy in the morning, By the time I got to the commodore club to help with the CC meeting I was was told by everyone, eat ginger, drink ginger etc, I was given a hugh bag of ginger to eat, had ginger ale to drink, within a few minutes I felt much better and I was fine for the rest of the voyage, it worked for me.

I might ad that a few others who said they didnt like ginger suffered those few days.

All my other crossings and cruise on QM2 have been wonderful , never a problem and I really dont think you will have either,

so my advice is Ginger,

Hi Rob - it was last November, not October - Friday the 13th was the most "boisterous" according to Capt Bates. It's this year you are going to be on board in October.

Someone has to watch out for you:D

Crane

Hi Rob - it was last November, not October - Friday the 13th was the most "boisterous" according to Capt Bates. It's this year you are going to be on board in October.

Crane

OMG, your right, it was Novemeber 13th, how could I forget, but my next two B2Bs are October, in in the head lol.

It was certainly Boisterous and I would do it all again, we had some fun those few days, remember the disco LOL:eek:

Hi, we did our first TA last Aug/Sep I was fine for 3 days then the 4th day we were rolling, I had breakfast then had to go back to our stateroom, I stayed there for the rest of the day funny thing was I just slept woke later got ready and went for dinner as usuall though the dinning hall was less than half full. One lady sat near us got to her seat, and turned around back to her room. It didn't affect my other half at all and I felt bad as he sat with me all day.

It hasn't put us off though we're crossing again (westbound) on the QV on Jan 5th to meet up with QM2 and sailing the first leg of the world cruise should be fun. This time I'll stock up with seasickness tablets just in case, I have a feeling they will be needed possibly on the QV!!!

Have fun.

I have always thought a lot of the sickness people feel while on a ship has do to with eating and drinking like there is no tomorrow. Then about the second or third day it all catches up with them. Many of these seafarers have dieted beforehand and find that all the heavy food and too many drinks hit them like a lead balloon. I have always noticed there are many passengers missing from the dining room on the third day. I really don't believe that is all of it, but I am sure it certainly contributes to what many call sea sickness.

OMG, your right, it was Novemeber 13th, how could I forget, but my next two B2Bs are October, in in the head lol.

It was certainly Boisterous and I would do it all again, we had some fun those few days, remember the disco LOL:eek:

Ahhh yes, G32 - it was quite a night - didn't know I could line dance, but then again QM2 was doin' the movin' and we were just along for the ride:D We all managed to miss that big padded pillar in the middle of the dance floor, didn't we :eek: and you and your pirouettes :cool:

Looking forward to this fall and being on board with you again ;)

Crane

Crane

Crane,

Truer words were never written:D

I was on the westbound crossing before yours last october. That one was rough as well. They had to cancel the planitarium show one afternoon. I made the mistake of going down to connexions to check my email. Started to feel bad so went up to commodore club , ordered a ginger ale and focused on the horizon. Felt better in about 15 minutes. First time that ever happened to me.

Denise

Crane,

Truer words were never written:D

I was on the westbound crossing before yours last october. That one was rough as well. They had to cancel the planitarium show one afternoon. I made the mistake of going down to connexions to check my email. Started to feel bad so went up to commodore club , ordered a ginger ale and focused on the horizon. Felt better in about 15 minutes. First time that ever happened to me.

Denise

Does a horizon martini have ginger in it then? :)

No, really the horizon bit does help in the day time, the ginger for certain worked for me, we all know just how bad that week was for you and our voyage, wow,when the water hit deck 7 that was it, I was inside for two days,but would not missed it, also we spent time at the meeting in the commodore club which at the bow and still it was fine.

I really would not worry about it, the injection is there if the worst was to happen, but I dont think it will, QM2 is just so very stable:)

On a crossing the QM2 in bad weather can move about quite a bit like on our trip last October, my wife did not take kindly to a quick cocktail in the Commodore club in the morning when the ship was pitching up and down quite a bit, bringing on a bad bout of sea sickness. She had the injection (as she has had before in bad weather) and after an afternoon sleep she was right as rain for the rest of the trip where we were only allowed out on deck for 3 out of the six days. The injection definately works costs about $70, if you are really bad when sailing maybe an injection on the first evening then you will be ok. Obviously it all depends on your threshold and the weather. On 2 out of 4 transatlantic crossings we had quite bad weather with pitching up and down but no rolling like we had on the QE2.

Fred.

On a crossing the QM2 in bad weather can move about quite a bit like on our trip last October, my wife did not take kindly to a quick cocktail in the Commodore club in the morning when the ship was pitching up and down quite a bit, bringing on a bad bout of sea sickness. She had the injection (as she has had before in bad weather) and after an afternoon sleep she was right as rain for the rest of the trip where we were only allowed out on deck for 3 out of the six days. The injection definately works costs about $70, if you are really bad when sailing maybe an injection on the first evening then you will be ok. Obviously it all depends on your threshold and the weather. On 2 out of 4 transatlantic crossings we had quite bad weather with pitching up and down but no rolling like we had on the QE2.

Fred.

I have never had the injection but does it make you drowsy and how long does it last for?

Yes it does make you drowsy and might affect people differently, for my wife an afternoon nap of 2-3 hours helped. I was just suggesting that if you are susceptible to sea sickness (my wife was ill on a ferry crossing Dover-Calais...2hours..no overeating either) and the forecast ahead is stormy then it might be convenient to have the injection at an appropriate time prior to a nap or sleep. Works everytime for my wife.

Fred.

Archived