Helicopter/Glacier trek: what to wear?

Streator1972

On our upcoming Aug cruise on the Coral Princess I have booked a helicopter ride & 40 min glacier trek in Skagway. The provider is Temsco. Looking for feedback from those who have done a similar excursion as to what they wore. Are heavy jackets needed? We are a family of 4 coming from the Northeast so have sufficient cold weather gear to bring if necessary but trying to pack efficiently ( which doesn't't come easy for me:).

I have never encountered "cold" on glacier treks. I wear a lightweight lined jacket, all I have ever needed. Didn't need gloves either.

If you had another layer, and got warm, would be easy to peal off. So that would be my suggestion,

TEMSCO (initials) also should have a guide for you.

Even though its summer weather will be YMMV. I'd say be ready with layers, but you won't be needing winter jackets. Be prepared for anything from sunshinine and 70's to 50's and light rain.

I'll offer another point of view. I wore a long sleeved thermal shirt with tee shirt over it, a fleece jacket and over that my Columbia thermal jacket, borrowed a skull cap from TEMSCO, gloves, and jeans with silk long underwear. I was still cold. I think the rain made it worse.

Granted, I'm from Texas but I love the cold and never wear a coat in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

The first time I did this excursion, it was a cool day and it was kind of cold on the glacier. My sister was wearing jeans, a long sleeve shirt, fleece, jacket and the vest required by TEMSCO, along with a hat and gloves and was still cold. I was wearing jeans, a short-sleeve t-shirt, a rain coat, the vest, mittens and a hat and was a bit cool.

The second time I did this excursion, it was pushing 70° when we got off the ship. We all wore jeans, a short sleeve shirt and a rain coat. We took our hats & gloves in the vest pockets and did put the hats on for a bit on the glacier but the gloves ended up not being needed by anyone in my family.

So I'd say see what the weather is the day you are in Skagway and choose your clothing that morning, keeping in mind if you tend to get cold or warm easily.

Also, keep in mind, you can not take bags with you onto the glacier. If you're not sure when you leave the ship, you can have extra layers in a backpack, but the backpack must be stowed in a locker at TEMSCO's base.

When we took this tour a few years ago. The temps on the glacier were not too bad getting off the helicopter. THEN where we were moved into the shade, it got pretty cold. Now I am a Texas gal, hate being cold, but I was cold! I had a hat, gloves, jeans and winter long coat. Now with all that said when we finished and went shopping in Skagway I was in a tank top and jeans.

Archived