Advice Cruising as a Single with Extended Family on a Non-Singles Cruise

FreelanceLady

Hi There..

I'll be joining my extended family on a Caribbean cruise over Christmas this coming December (my father, brother, my sons). It will be my first cruise, and I know they'll all be off doing their own thing much of the time (I'll be the only gal and am not too interested in pools). Soooo any suggestions on how to meet others on a holiday cruise or how I can spend my time without looking like too much of a loner? This isn't a singles cruise, so I have no idea if there will be any ratio of other singles in my age bracket or how to find them. I may even have a little pre-cruise ship-claustrophobia anxiety.

Cheers to all and thank you for the tips...

If you were totally alone, I'd suggest a large table at traditional dining....that way, you get "ready-made" friends at dinner...that can translate into other activities, too. But, I would assume your family will want to dine together.....I'd still insist on a LARGE table with traditional dining....

Most folks are pretty friendly and quite willing to chat...so, strike up conversations wherever you are!

Wish I had better suggestions for you!

Hi There..

I'll be joining my extended family on a Caribbean cruise over Christmas this coming December (my father, brother, my sons). It will be my first cruise, and I know they'll all be off doing their own thing much of the time (I'll be the only gal and am not too interested in pools). Soooo any suggestions on how to meet others on a holiday cruise or how I can spend my time without looking like too much of a loner? This isn't a singles cruise, so I have no idea if there will be any ratio of other singles in my age bracket or how to find them. I may even have a little pre-cruise ship-claustrophobia anxiety.

Join your roll call.

You will meet a number of others going on the cruise, and most of them plan a sail away party, a meet and mingle, sometimes cabin crawls, and other activities.

Get involved with the planning.

I second the roll call effort and if there is not one yet for your sailing, start one. You really don't know for sure what ratio of singles the may be on any given 'non-singles' cruise and you may be surprised.

On the roll call you may be able to get a feel for the number of other singles that may be cruising with you.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

My first cruise was also like this... I went with my mother, father, brother, his wife and son. I had recently broken up with my fiance of 7 years so I ended up in a room sailing "alone" like you are. It was also just the week before christmas. I'm sure you will find plenty to do on your own and just enjoy meals with them. We did a port intensive cruise to the southern caribbean where I did one excursion with the entire family, two with just my parents, and 2 alone. On sea days I just hung out by myself and at nights I usually hit the piano bar and had a great time despite that I don't like to do things by myself. I'm not a pool person either. You'll be just fine. :)

There are so many activities on board that don't require a 'partner'. I travel with a friend but often our interests are diffferent so I'll go off and do trivia games, watch deck activities and other things while she goes off and does her stuff.

So, each evening you'll get a daily paper with all the activities listed. You can have a look at what is going on and decide on what looks appealing to you. There are dance lessons, crafts, demonstrations, and organized games. You can do as much or as little as you want, no one will look at you as a 'loner'!!

Have a wonderful time.

What ship are you sailing? Most cruise ships on the main stream lines are like small cities in many respects, so you probably won't suffer claustrophobia. This isn't a fishing trawler.

There are lots of activities onboard, if you choose to join in, so you're never really alone.

Roz

Each evening you will get the schedule for the next day's activities. Look it over to see what appeals to you. There will be things that you can participate in alone. There will be others looking for partners in partner activities. Some ships have organize bridge games. If you play there will be people looking for partners. Trivia teams are often up to 6 or so. Again, people will be looking for others to join them.

Hi There..

Have a T-shirt printed up to wear that say " Single and Lovin it! "

Trust me, you will get male attention. lol And by the way, I'm a man so I know.

Randall :D

Have a T-shirt printed up to wear that say " Single and Lovin it! "

Trust me, you will get male attention. lol And by the way, I'm a man so I know.

Randall :D

LOL Maybe I need to have me one made up!!!!:D

We will be on the Grand Princess for this trip (I'm the one who wrote this post). I've never been on any ship so it will all be new to me. I've never been the most social person and since I'm a freelance writer and work from home, I don't see a lot of people. My family (all guys) will be off doing their own thing most of the days and at night, so it's all up to me. Thank you all for the posts. I'm curious about these singles meet-and-greet gatherings and if any of you have been to one. My walking into a place like that alone will be another first for me. I'm wondering what they're like or the average age bracket. All of these tips on here have been great. And what exactly is a room crawl? Thanks so much to you all.

Em

A room or cabin crawl is often organized by the folks on the roll call to visit a variety of different cabin types around the ship so people can see them close up.

In order to get the right mindset, do some thinking about whether you are more of a solo cruiser or a single cruiser and check out the boards for both. My guess is that for this cruise you might find yourself to be more of a semi-solo cruiser than a single cruiser. I'm now a solo cruiser because DH doesn't cruise. When I cruised with my mother I was a semi-solo cruiser - I did a lot of activities and excursions on my own or with others from the roll call. Check out your roll call - if someone is organizing an excursion, consider going on it. Cc'ers are a friendly and welcoming group. Experienced cruisers understand that part of the cruise experience is meeting others and that there are always folks traveling with others who do things solo on the cruise.

To the OP: My first two cruise vacations were as a single accompanied by extended family. I was a little trepidatious at first, but that didn't last long.

One of the great things about cruising is that there are so many options. During the times that I did not feel like hanging out with my family, I explored the ship, attended a couple of meet and greets/cocktail parties, checked out the gym, hit the spa, etc. You can meet a lot of people this way or just keep it simple and solitary if you'd like.

And, oh yeah--I did hang out by the pool occasionally. :D

As has been mentioned, your roll call is an excellent way to meet fellow singles and get an idea of what's available.

Have a terrific time on your cruise!

Go to the different events around the ship-crafts, games, sing alongs, dances, piano bar etc. Or just sit at a bar.

Some of the best conversations I've ever had onboard was sharing a table at the buffet. Go when it's most crowded and invite yourself to sit in an empty chair.

Every once in a while I'll bring some needle work with me. I'm always interrupted when I'm crocheting.

These are great tips. Although going to sit at one of the bars alone as a single late-thirties woman won't draw me too much of the wrong kind of attention? I have to admit I've never sat at a bar alone my entire life, or even really at all :) And I'm not even clear on what a piano bar is. Yikes.

But I'm all for trying something new. This is a Christmas week cruise I'm going on, so I'm assuming it will be mostly families and not many divorcees or singles in my age bracket!

Emily

I have only been on one cruise where I had a "partner" -now ex-husband. I have always cruised as a 3rd wheel in some kind of family group. I go with the mindset that I'm not looking to meet Prince Charming, just to have fun and meet people. Meet and greets will be populated by a bunch of different kinds of people; old, young, couples, singles. They are all looking to meet people and maybe make some friends to hang with. I met a younger by 15 years couple that I wound up hanging w/ part of 1 cruise because we had a lot in common (politics) and they liked to snorkle. I've gone to singles events. The women will usually outnumber the men by 2-1. Not a lot of single guys cruising in any age group unless it's a singles cruise. I'm not saying it's impossible to meet a guy, just unlikely. I love to cruise. People are very friendly. It's like living in a very small town for a week. Go to shipboard activities. Play bingo. Go to the piano bars before dinner. No one will make judgements. Take a shore excursion by yourself. I am not the world's most outgoing person but I always meet a lot of people and have a blast. Get on the roll call for your sailing. Tell people your nervous. You'll probably know some people before you go. Don't sweat it. You'll have a great time!

Can anybody tell me more about what these 'meet and greet' cocktail parties are all about, what kind of people you've seen there and if it's formal, casual or anything in between? It's all new for me, so I'm intrigued.

They are usually arranged through your sailing roll call.

When you get aboard, RCI will get you an invite delivered to your room.

Then those that wish to go, just show up at the designated lounge.

RCI will give out some decent prizes, internet credit, wine, as well as some junk.

Some can be a lot of fun, some can just be so and so, depending on how the RCI staff handle it.

Been on one where the MC gave the microphone to one of the "organizers", everyone introduced themselves, we planned a cabin crawl, etc. Also, from the roll call we had established an informal sail away party at the Sky Bar.

Been on one where the RCI MC just handed out the "prizes" and that was it.

Nevertheless, you will get to meet those on your roll call.

I have just been thinking about this as my DD is an adult now. She and I always do a lot together on cruises like shows etc and I was thinking if DH and I go alone what would I do. The answer I was coming to was this quote:

In order to get the right mindset, do some thinking about whether you are more of a solo cruiser or a single cruiser and check out the boards for both. My guess is that for this cruise you might find yourself to be more of a semi-solo cruiser than a single cruiser. I'm now a solo cruiser because DH doesn't cruise. When I cruised with my mother I was a semi-solo cruiser - I did a lot of activities and excursions on my own or with others from the roll call.

Which I didn't write. Also, I don't go to bars at all but the bars on the cruise ships are so nice with good atmosphere that they aren't intimidating at all. On Crown Princess DD and I loved the Jazz bar. I think most ships have a more quiet option. Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned going to trivia or bingo that could be an ice breaker.

Kim in IL

I found the best part of my cruise was that for the most part everyone is happy! If you do a few of the ships activities - crafts, dancing, we even had oragami!, you will meet others who are either solo or perhaps travelling with others doing other things. My cousin and I ended up meeting a couple different ladies in different activities that we hung out with the whole cruise.

I went solo to Alaska in May and am going solo to the Med twice. I was really nervous about Alaska, but I set up the meet and mingle and met a lot of great people. Go to the activities that interest you and you will meet people with the same interests.

I wasn't alone on the cruise except when I wanted to be. :D

One guy I played cards with asked if I knew everyone on the ship because as we were walking one afternoon, 4 people said Hi to me.

Go and have a great time!!

Archived