2008 Mardi Gras

nolaAlive

The season traditionally begins Twelfth Night - Jan 6, but is certainly underway now.

Mardi Gras day is early this year - Feb 5th.

Here are a couple of sites with more info:

http://www.nola.com/mardigras/

http://www.mardigras.com/

And a couple of parade cams:

CARNIVAL CAMS

Parade Cam

Watch parades live as they

roll down St. Charles Ave.:

» Video version video.gif

» Photo version photo.gif

Throw me something, mister/miss!

large_parrot2.jpg

The season traditionally begins Twelfth Night - Jan 6, but is certainly underway now.

Yes it is. We were there this past weekend to take part in The Krewe de Vieux parade through the Quarter. The crowds were fantastic even with the cold weather! The merriment will continue non-stop through Mardi Gras day.

We will be there on Feb 7th. Will it still be wild or kinda laid back since its two days after Fat Tuesday?

I would say it will be almost back to "normal". Tourists will be mostly gone by then and locals will be worn out.:p

I know this is far out, but is there a rule of thumb how to judge when Mardi Gras celebrations start and end ? I'm looking at cruising in 2009 in February or March, staying a couple of days pre cruise and really don't want to be in the middle of all the celebrations.

Thanks for any help you can give me for my planning.

I know this is far out, but is there a rule of thumb how to judge when Mardi Gras celebrations start and end ? I'm looking at cruising in 2009 in February or March, staying a couple of days pre cruise and really don't want to be in the middle of all the celebrations.

Thanks for any help you can give me for my planning.

Mardi Gras is Feb. 24th in 2009, so if you're trying to avoid it either plan on coming after the 25th or before the 13th (6th if you want to avoid anything to do with Carnival.

The main parades start two weekends before Mardi Gras, so that would be the 13th and 14th and of course the weekend before Mardi Gras is the heaviest traffic. But there are some earlier parades, so may be one or two (probably not in New Orleans proper) the weekend of the 6th.

Of course by missing it you're missing out on a great time!!

Archived