Summit 12/11/2009 Photo Review

cyntil8ing

This was my husband's and my first cruise on Celebrity.

We flew into San Juan from Baltimore on Friday morning. The trip was uneventful and we were at our hotel, the Sheraton Old San Juan by 5:00. We used Priceline ($90 bid), but were informed at check-in that there was a $10 "resort fee" on top of that. The hotel was well located, but nothing special. The pool was on the roof.

DSC_9160.JPG

The next morning, we peeked out our window and saw the Summit had arrived, along with the Serenade of the Seas. Look to the left and on the other side of the water. The Summit is furthest away.

DSC_9167.JPG

We walked to La Bombonera for breakfast. It's been serving breakfast since 1902. It was crowded, but we had no wait for counter service where we could watch all of the action while we enjoyed our mallorcas.

DSC_9183.JPG

And marveled at the ancient coffee pot

DSC_9177.JPG

And the guy making the orange juice. He was a busy guy!

DSC_9179.JPG

After breakfast, we strolled all over Old San Juan, out to El Morro and back through the city gates. Though it was early, it was hot!

DSC_9205.JPG

DSC_9246.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

DSC_9304.JPG

We stopped at Señor Frogs for a drink before grabbing our luggage from the hotel and heading off to the ship at around 2:00.

DSC_9307.JPG

DSC_9312.JPG

The lines to drop off luggage were fairly long, but we were checked in and on-board within an hour. We were given a glass of champagne and shown to our room, a CC balcony, 8076.

DSC_9334.JPG

DSC_9336.JPG

DSC_9338.JPG

DSC_9339.JPG

We got one of our bags right away. The other two bags were late arriving so my husband couldn't change for dinner. I suspected it was because there was wine in them, which was later pretty much confirmed by our roll call friends, who had the same thing happen. However, we didn't call looking for them, and they were finally outside of our door when we returned from our late seating dinner.

One of our roll call friends, Kathy, put lots of effort into planning private excursions for our group. We tagged along for two of them and today was the first – Bernard's on St. Maarten. They picked us up at 9:00am and all fourteen or so of us piled into the nice big van. We stopped for some quick shopping and were off to Orient beach. We spent a few hours there, then a quick stop in Marigot where most everything was closed because it was Sunday, and then to Maho beach to watch the planes come in. While there, we saw a proposal. She accepted!

DSC_9340.JPG

DSC_9341.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

DSC_9359.JPG

DSC_9379.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

Here is the proposal

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

Oh no! She was running away!

IMG_0137.JPG

But it was to show her answer

DSC_9491.JPG

I don't know if they made a No towel just in case!

Oh, and if you want to drink for free here, there is a way

IMG_0126.JPG

We didn't notice any takers.

Kathy came through for us again! This time, we used bumpiing tours with Levi Baron. It was a fantastic day! We went to Titou Gorge, where we swam into the gorge in very cold water. Then, to Trafalgar Falls, where we found hot water to relax in. And finally, to Champagne Reef, where we snorkeled in the bubble. I cannot recommend this day highly enough. Now, the hardest part, to fit the photos into a reasonable number of posts.

We got an early start. We were off the ship by 7:30 to beat the crowds. It worked!

DSC_9616.JPG

The roads were um, interesting!

DSC_9637.JPG

But the scenery was breath-taking.

IMG_0229.JPG

It was a short, easy hike to Titou Gorge

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

And here it is. Doesn't look very impressive, does it?

IMG_0181.JPG

After two busy days, we were planning to just stroll around the port area and head back to the ship. Well, the port area was so busy and noisy and filled with folks wanting to take us on tours that we practically ran out of there and up a hill. We ended up at Fort George and ended up walking and walking and walking. We walked all the way down and around the entire harbor. Finally, we took a taxi back to the ship. Seeing free wi-fi in the shopping area, we grabbed the laptop to check email.

This was the only day we saw any rain. It was a passing shower lasting about 30 minutes from clouding over, to raining, to clearing, and all while we were still eating breakfast that morning. By the time we were ready to leave the ship, it was beautiful.

DSC_9846.JPG

DSC_9851.JPG

DSC_9852.JPG

DSC_9861.JPG

DSC_9865.JPG

DSC_9896.JPG

Tobago must be a relatively new, or infrequent, stop for cruise ships. Yes, there was the big building with some shops and taxi drivers hustling tours, but it just didn't seem as "touristy" as the others. We really enjoyed it.

We took a two hour taxi tour. We ran into our dinner tablemates and shared the taxi cost with them. It was a flat $25 per hour. Our driver was a taxi driver, not a tour guide, so he didn't know all of the local history, nor tell us lots of stuff that we wouldn't remember the next day anyway. ;-) It was just a quiet ride with lots of beautiful scenery. He took us to the designated stops and let us wander around as long as we wanted.

DSC_9918.JPG

The Trinidad and Tobago ferry.

DSC_9925.JPG

We almost missed this spot. Our driver stopped for us to see a fort, but I walked the wrong way, down toward the water, and found this.

DSC_9948.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

DSC_9953.JPG

DSC_9961.JPG

Beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing all of these. My DH and I are both teachers who are looking forward to our cruise on the Summit in April. Today in ME it is very cold and these pictures made me smile. Thank you for bringing sunshine today and sharing your cruise with us. Sounds like you all had a fabulous time.

Happy New Year

Archived