Sideways Inside Cabins

NMLady

When we booked an inside cabin we were assigned one of the sideway cabins.

Several people have mentioned that the sideway cabins are larger than the other insides. One person told us it was roomier because of the floor plan. But another cruiser told us it's roomier because the sideway cabins are handicapped cabins. Is this true?

Even though my husband has mobility problems so extra floor room would be helpful, he uses a cane, not a walker or wheelchair. We had only asked for an inside near an elevator so he wouldn't have too far to walk.

NMLady, I have a sideways cabin book for an upcoming cruise. From what I've read on here it is not larger, just feels that way due to configuration.

Is there some reason you don't want a handicapped cabin? It has plenty of room to move around. Sideways does not mean it is handicapped. It is the sq. ftg. of a regular inside.

We are on the same sailing in October on the Star. I have heard that the sideways inside cabins are larger but don't know this for a fact. Not all of the sideways insides are handicapped accessible. You can tell which ones are accessible by the square symbol on the deck plans plus they appear considerably larger than the other sideways insides. Most of the sideways insides are regular, not handicapped accessible.

I had a sideways cabin a few years ago (sorry, can't remember which ship), and it didn't strike me as any bigger than the normal inside cabins. It might have been but it wasn't noticeable to me. Plus, it was not designated as a handicapped cabin.

If you'd ever been in a handicapped inside cabin, you'd know how much larger they are - and not just a little bit. I have a friend who had a stroke a year ago and now uses a cane and scooter. On our cruise 2 weeks ago, they had an inside handicapped cabin on the Star, Deck 10. It was huge! You could have put 3 more full sized beds in there. Not to mention, the bathroom has a ramp up to it and is much bigger.

MaryKay

I am sure you and your Joe will enjoy a sideways room, Mike and I prefer them when we are "inside.". The ones we have been in aren't any larger but because the hallway door is removed from the toilet/closet hall, it seems roomier. I think mostly because you don't end up with so many doors banging into each other. The only downside is when the morning room service comes, there is no hiding that you are in bed since the bed is "right there"

I am envious of you B2B....someday for us I hope.

Best to Joe!

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful answers.

Moondawgie, the reason we wouldn't want a handicapped cabin is because we wouldn't want to take it in case there was someone who needed it for a scooter or wheelchair.

Clay, how nice to 'see' you here. I wasn't sure when Joe & I would have the budget to cruise again but we really wanted to do one to celebrate 25 years. So we've been pinching pennies since our last long cruise.

By using FF miles for airfare and booking an inside instead of ocean view we were able to afford this b2b. It's booked as just one cruise which was cheaper. And we booked it 9 months out which gave us an AARP discount.

We now have an awesome PCC who has been a huge help in booking this.

I only regret there's no Great Outdoors. :(

I hope that someday you and Mike will be able to do a long cruise but meanwhile I'm glad you can at least do shorter ones.

How great that you can celebrate his 50th on a cruise -- in Italy. Awesome.

We had a sideways cabin on the Spirit and it just felt bigger because of the way it was set up.

However, I think there could be a better set up. The only problem was every time you opened the door, it hit the bed and you had to step inside and shut the door before you could go to the other side of the room (where they had the couch and vanity located). IMO, if they would have put the bed over on the other side of the room and had the couch where the bed was, it would feel even more spacious. It would be like walking in to a "mini" living room. :) But we did like it!

Mitsugirly, I'm glad to hear there is a couch. I hadn't been able to see one on the inside cabin photo I looked at online nor on the sketch in the brochure, and based on the small square footage (142 sq'), I didn't think there was one in any of the inside cabins on NCL. We'll be glad if there is one.

I wondered about the door hitting the bed. Also, we'll have queen configuration and from the online NCL photo of inside cabin it seems as if there's a chair and cabinet at the foot of the bed, blocking easy out. Is that true for the sideways cabin too?

Mitsugirly, I'm glad to hear there is a couch. I hadn't been able to see one on the inside cabin photo I looked at online nor on the sketch in the brochure, and based on the small square footage (142 sq'), I didn't think there was one in any of the inside cabins on NCL. We'll be glad if there is one.

I wondered about the door hitting the bed. Also, we'll have queen configuration and from the online NCL photo of inside cabin it seems as if there's a chair and cabinet at the foot of the bed, blocking easy out. Is that true for the sideways cabin too?

I have only been in a sideways room on the Spirit (which is a very unique ship to me to begin with), so I can't vouch for the other NCL ships as to whether or not they all have a couch. But ours did. It also pulled out in to a hideaway bed (which is where our then 3 year old slept at night).

There was a vanity and a chair kind of at the foot of the cabin, but not directly in front of it. It was directly in front of the couch (in the corner up against 2 walls). It did not interfere with the bed at all. The only problem we had was the door hitting the bed as we tried to come in.

I just looked up our room on NCL's site and it says that the room is 149 sq ft. Of course on everything you see, nothing about a sideways cabin is shown and they all seem to give the blue prints of a regular cabin.

I swear this must have been the only cruise I took that I didn't take pictures of the inside cabin. I'm not sure why and find this strange. Maybe we were just too busy having too much fun. hehe

These are the only pictures I could find and sorry, I was just taking pictures of my daughter during the time but you can see some of the inside of the cabin in the background.

You can see in this picture (of course the bed) and the couch that my husband was sitting on beside the bed at the time.

IMG_4889-S.jpg

Since the bed was sitting directly in front of the door, you can tell in this picture that off to the side was the hallway that you would either enter the bathroom or on the opposite side are the closets to store your clothes and stuff. There was also a vanity there (like all of the other ships) with the t.v located on the shelf.

IMG_4989-S.jpg

Just found another of the couch beside the bed:

IMG_5613-S.jpg

I know it's a little hard to tell, but it's all I have...here you can see the couch at the right side up against the wall and in front of it, that is the vanity with the mirror and chair to sit at (you can only see a portion of the chair in the picture):

IMG_5898-S.jpg

I just found another picture online, which is totally different than what ours was, so now I'm thinking they may have different styles of the cabins. Although this is a very small picture...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSn1-Vt4LGWEIKEpforXDLOvzBxtKsYCv_aUyUvLaebMgsa2KTzzdnMUMpLyQ

Thanks. This one shows the chair and table that, when the beds are configured as a queen, might make getting in/out of bed on the wall side a little difficult. However, we've had a cabin in the past on RCCL where the bed was pushed right up against the wall and we managed.

When we cruise we enjoy ourselves, no matter what.

Thanks. This one shows the chair and table that, when the beds are configured as a queen, might make getting in/out of bed on the wall side a little difficult. However, we've had a cabin in the past on RCCL where the bed was pushed right up against the wall and we managed.

When we cruise we enjoy ourselves, no matter what.

Mary Kay, I think you should set your hopes for a couch pretty low...we haven't ever had one with a sideways. You are correct that moving along side the beds is tough and I feel like our room on Jade didn't have a chair, but only a stool which we never removed from under the desk.

Happy 25th! Mike and I need to start planning our 25th anniversary trip...only three more years:eek:

Mary Kay, I think you should set your hopes for a couch pretty low...we haven't ever had one with a sideways. You are correct that moving along side the beds is tough and I feel like our room on Jade didn't have a chair, but only a stool which we never removed from under the desk.

Happy 25th! Mike and I need to start planning our 25th anniversary trip...only three more years:eek:

Thanks, Clay, for your input. That's what I thought about no couch and the difficulty moving alongside the bed, especially on the side with the chair or stool at the end of the bed. I'll make sure I take that side of the bed and give Joe the other side. We want the beds configured as a queen, even if there'd be more space with two single beds.

August 28 will be the 25th anniversary of Joe and my first date, and then January 1, 2014 will be our 25th wedding anniversary. So the October date for the cruise is midway between the two. A good way to celebrate. :)

You and Mike will have fun deciding where you want to go to celebrate your 25th in three years. Maybe by that time you can take a LONG cruise. :cool:

We had sideways room on the sun... We loved it! And it did have couch.

Kerry

I wonder if it depends on the ship or just on the location of the room.

Sounds as if some have a couch and some don't. I won't plan on one and then will be happily surprised if it does have one.

Primary difference between 'regular' and 'sideways' cabins are that 'sideways' are generally more square-shaped than rectangular...

On some other lines, such as HAL, certain 'sideways' cabins are considerably larger than 'regulars' in the same class....not sure about the ones on NCL.

For what its worth, I was just in a sideways room on the Dawn last week and there was no couch. Also, as for not having much room to get out of bed because of the table/stool at the foot - just move the bed! We rearrange our room as soon as we get into them,lol.

For the sideways one to make more room with the queen set up, just turn the bed so the head of the bed is against the wall with the pull down bed on it with the bed centered.

You will have more than enough room on the mirror wall side to get out and around the foot of the bed and still have room for both night stands if turned longways.

There is even room in the standard rooms to do this to make more floor space by the desk/chair/vanity.

We rearrange our room as soon as we get into them,lol.

We seem to always rearrange as well. :D

For the sideways one to make more room with the queen set up, just turn the bed so the head of the bed is against the wall with the pull down bed on it with the bed centered.

Holy cow...I never thought of this. We always end up pushing one side of the bed toward the wall in order to have a bigger walk way on one side and the other person that sleeps up against the wall just climbs out at the bottom (no biggie for us). But I had never thought about turning it sideways for even more room. Thanks!

We moved EVERYTHING in my parents cabin last week,lol. the room steward (who was AWESOME by the way) looked into their cabin right after we did it and just goes, "oooh, you moved! very nice!" lol!

They had a regular setup obst ocean view and we turned the bed so the head was centered as I said before so my mom could put her fan on the ledge under the window and my dad could put his cpap machine on the vanity table.

on our first cruise(on the Sun) I had a inside with my friend and when we got there it was set up with the beds next to each other and the couch parallel to the beds under the pull down. So we moved things so the beds were each against opposite walls with the couch longways between them.

It made a TON of floor space. Literally you could have stood 10 people in the open space. We just put the nightstands together like a coffee table in front of the couch.

We moved EVERYTHING in my parents cabin last week,lol. the room steward (who was AWESOME by the way) looked into their cabin right after we did it and just goes, "oooh, you moved! very nice!" lol!

They had a regular setup obst ocean view and we turned the bed so the head was centered as I said before so my mom could put her fan on the ledge under the window and my dad could put his cpap machine on the vanity table.

on our first cruise(on the Sun) I had a inside with my friend and when we got there it was set up with the beds next to each other and the couch parallel to the beds under the pull down. So we moved things so the beds were each against opposite walls with the couch longways between them.

It made a TON of floor space. Literally you could have stood 10 people in the open space. We just put the nightstands together like a coffee table in front of the couch.

LOL, that is AWESOME!! You sound a lot like me. :p

Archived