Fire on Quest

excitedofharpenden

I heard a little earlier about this, but just posted on Azamara's Facebook page:

On Friday, March 30, at approximately 8:19 p.m. ship time, Azamara Quest experienced a fire in the engine room. The fire was contained to the engine room and was quickly extinguished. There were no injuries of guests reported and the atmosphere aboard is calm. However, in an abundance of caution, the Captain initially mustered all guests at their assembly stations. The ship is currently running on generator power until full power can be restored to the engine room.

Azamara Quest is currently on a 17-night sailing that departed Hong Kong, China, on Monday, March 26, and includes port calls to Manila, Philippines; Sandakan (Sabah), Malaysia; Palapo (Sulawesi), Benoa (Bali), Semarang and Komodo, Indonesia and concludes in Singapore on Thursday, April 12.

Phil

Hello Azamara Followers -

We have just posted this official statement about an engine room fire on the Azamara Quest:

On Friday, March 30, at approximately 8:19 p.m. ship time, Azamara Quest experienced a fire in the engine room. The fire was contained to the engine room and was quickly extinguished. There were no injuries of guests reported and the atmosphere aboard is calm. However, in an abundance of caution, the Captain initially mustered all guests at their assembly stations. The ship is currently running on generator power until full power can be restored to the engine room.

Azamara Quest is currently on a 17-night sailing that departed Hong Kong, China, on Monday, March 26, and includes port calls to Manila, Philippines; Sandakan (Sabah), Malaysia; Palapo (Sulawesi), Benoa (Bali), Semarang and Komodo, Indonesia and concludes in Singapore on Thursday, April 12.

When I receive official updated information from Azamara's Miami headquarters, I will post that information on this thread.

I'm sure we're all pleased to learn there were no guest injuries reported, and the atmosphere aboard is calm.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

We have just posted this official statement about an engine room fire on the Azamara Quest:

When I receive official updated information from Azamara's Miami headquarters, I will post that information on this thread.

I'm sure we're all pleased to learn there were no guest injuries reported, and the atmosphere aboard is calm.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi Bill, trying to confirm a couple facts. What does 8:19 ship's time equate to in EDT? Also, the next port of call is Sandakan, Malaysia?

Dan

Hi Bill, trying to confirm a couple facts. What does 8:19 ship's time equate to in EDT? Also, the next port of call is Sandakan, Malaysia?

Dan

Hi Dan,

According to Azamara's 2012 Destination Guide (Copy in Hand), Friday and Saturday were scheduled Sea Days. The next scheduled port is Balikpapan, Borneo, Indonesia on Sunday.

Of course, this might be dated information, as the Guide is several months old.

I hope this helps.

Was this cruise the President's cruise?

It was the President's cruise, but he had to cancel at the last minute, so was not on board, last I read, which was on the roll call for that sailing.

Dan

Hello Dan -

In the future, if you're seeking additional information about this situation, please contact Cynthia Martinez who is the point person for media/press inquires.

Cynthia Martinez

Director, Global Corporate Communications

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Phone: 305-982-2458

E-mail: cynthiamartinez@rccl.com

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Me too.....but I don't think there has been any significant damage has there?

I think the ship is on emergency generator power but it seems to be carrying on with the cruise OK.

Hopefully we will have no problems with our cruise on April 12th.....I don't think I could cope with anything else going wrong after all the trouble we are having with the "will they....won't they" cancel our Nov 7th Canaries cruise!

When should we expect another update? We are on the next Quest cruise departing Singapore on April 12th.

Hello SMNY and other future Quest guests -

Currently, the Azamara executive team along with the marine and technical experts at Royal Caribbean's corporate offices are engaged in assessing the damage caused by the engine room's fire. Once determined, we'll be able to advise you and others on the schedule for future voyages.

I appreciate your concern, but at this time I have nothing specific to report, but when I'm able to share the final approved information, I will do so. My estimated guess is in about 24 - 48 hours. (Note: There's nothing official about my GUESS.)

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

I'm very pleased to update you on the progress aboard the Azamara Quests.

You can be sure, I'll keep you posted:

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Azamara Club Cruises Statement

March 30, 2012, 6:00 p.m. E.S.T.

Engineers onboard Azamara Quest have restored power to one of the ship’s engines. This additional power has permitted the ship to reestablish air conditioning, running water, plumbing, refrigeration and food preparation onboard for the comfort of our guests and crew. While the ship does not have propulsion capabilities at this time, it is in the process of being repaired.

As you may be aware, on Friday, March 30, at approximately 8:19 p.m. ship time, Azamara Quest experienced a fire in one of ship’s engine rooms. The fire was contained to that engine room and was quickly extinguished. There were no injuries of guests reported and the atmosphere aboard is calm. However, in an abundance of caution, the Captain deemed it necessary to muster all guests at their assembly stations. The ship is currently running on emergency power until full power can be restored to the engine room.

Azamara Quest is still located 200 miles off the coast of Balikpapan (Borneo), Indonesia, in calm seas.

Azamara Quest is currently on a 17-night sailing that departed Hong Kong, China, on Monday, March 26, and includes port calls to Manila, Philippines; Balikpapan (Borneo), Palapo (Sulawesi), Benoa Bali, Semarang and Komodo, Indonesia and concludes in Singapore on Thursday, April 12.

Azamara Club Cruises will continue to closely monitor the situation onboard Azamara Quest and will update this information again at 9:00 p.m. E.S.T.

# # #

Very sorry to hear this. Hope they are able to get everything back up and running soon. We had a small electrical fire on a TA on Journey once and it was quickly put out, but it was scary to think about.

Wonder who the Captain is for Quest now?

Best wishes for all aboard.

Hello Dr. Koob and others -

I'm pleased to confirm that "nonrev" is correct -

The Master onboard the Azamara Quest, is Captain Leif Karlsson.

I'll keep you all posted as I get updates.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Here is a very important update shown below about what's planned for this Azamara Quest voyage.

However, I think it's important for all you to be aware of two important points about 1) our focus on safety and 2) our total commitment to guest satisfaction which our President & CEO, Larry Pimentel, outlined into the letter which he sent all our employees earlier today:

"... Our continuous training and relentless focus on safety have obviously paid off. As soon as the incident occurred, the Captain mustered all guests in a calm and orderly manner. Our highly capable Miami and International situation response teams has been extremely focused and working intensively on the situation, and will do so for as long as necessary. We have also reached out to the families of the guests and crew onboard."

"... It is regrettable that this incident occurred and spoiled our guests vacation, but we will do everything we can to assist them from this point forward. I will update you further when I have more information."

As you'll find below, we have established a toll-free number for friends and family of the guests onboard to contact.

Of course, I will keep you updated.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Azamara Club Cruises Statement

March 30, 2012, 11:30 p.m. E.S.T.

Engineers onboard Azamara Quest continue to work on restoring propulsion to the ship. Once they have restored the ship’s propulsion, Azamara Quest will sail directly to Sandakan (Sabah), Malaysia. When propulsion has been restored to the ship, we will be able to provide an estimated time of arrival. Until then, we will be working with our guests to determine how we can best assist them with next steps and travel arrangements.

Larry Pimentel, president and chief executive officer, will be flying to Sandakan in order to meet with Azamara Quest guests personally. Mr. Pimentel is scheduled to arrive in Malaysia on Monday morning, local time.

The damage caused by the fire will require us to cancel the rest of Azamara Quest’s voyage once the ship arrives in Sandakan. As a gesture of goodwill and to thank our guests for their understanding, we will be providing all guests with a full refund for their cruise. Azamara Club Cruises will also be providing each guest with a future cruise certificate for 100% of the cruise fare paid for their March 26, 2012, Azamara Quest sailing.

Unfortunately, five crew members onboard the ship suffered smoke inhalation during the fire. The crew members are being treated in our medical facility. However, one crew member is more seriously injured and requires additional and urgent medical attention that can only be provided in a hospital. Once the ship arrives in Sandakan, the crew member will be immediately transported to a local area hospital.

We encourage guests on the April 12, 2012, sailing of Azamara Quest to monitor this website on Monday, April 2 for an update on your voyage.

If you have specific questions regarding Azamara Quest, you may call toll free 1.888.829.4050 from the United States and Canada. Guest outside the United States may call direct or collect to 1.408.916.9001.

# # #

Hello Bill,

I wanted to say Thank You, for keeping us updated throughout the day. I'm sure this was an extremely difficult day for everyone onboard Quest, and at Azamara's Miami Headquarters. Our thoughts and prayers are with the injured crew members.

My best wishes to everyone onboard Quest. Safe travels to all.

Goodnight.

Archived