Vespa/Scooter Rental in Corfu

scatt86

We are going to be in Corfu for a day in June and rather than shop and do the usual, we were thinking of renting scooters and seeing the island that way.

Has anybody sone this? Is it fun? Is it easy?

Any other suggestions for what to do off the beaten path in Corfu is aprreciated!:)

32 years ago come early April, as a college student, a group of us (with Inter-Rail passes incl. some ferries) boarded a small ship from Brindisi to Patras via Corfu and Igoumenitsa. We left Brindisi around 11 PM - overnight deck passage... drinking... Brrr! When the warming sun in Corfu around 6 AM were we ready to get off that ship!

There were motorcyle rentals at the pier (100-125 cc deals) that we rented and had a blast! They weren't well maintained (in fact, one was a death trap waiting to happen) but heck it was the '70's and Corfu was still largely undiscovered by mass tourism. Still, although I'm sure the equipment has improved get med insurance...

We didn't see the famous chapel (on the west side of the island I believe) but we rode north up into the hills to an abandonned hamlet overlooking Albania. It began to rain, we parked for an hour under a farmer's open air shed and smoked ('70's tabac;)) then later booked a cheap harbor front hotel and chased girls in the taverna that night. Next AM - the ship and cruise through the west isles on to Patras was gorgeous!

Thanks for the memories!

• 2 months later...

Three years ago while on a Med cruise, our family of four rented two scooters in Corfu. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times! The rental place near the pier did not have maps. No GPS back then either. No problem - I had heard of a little beach north of town, we would just drive along till we found it. We did not realize the road (which we expected to be simple and untrafficed - like those in Bermuda we had experienced) was an interstate populated with trucks much larger than the simple scooter we were on! It was a frightening experience for an inexperienced rider like myself. However, we found the beach which was truly one of the highlights of our trip. So peaceful and beautiful with a small dining area and excellent food and service. Then the frighteneing trip back and getting lost. And yes - the road signs were all in Greek! We turned in the scooters and made it back to the ship with 30 minutes to spare! I still can recommend renting scooters as a means to see Corfu - just have a map before you head out and realize that Corfu is more populated than you might think!

Make sure you have medical insurance that covers foreign hospitals. (not saying that Vespas are dangerous but things do happen.)

Rent a car. The motorbikes look fun, but I've seen too many people have accidents. Inexperienced rider + unfamiliar roads + foreign signs and customs = problems

Archived