Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > New Orleans

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 9th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default New Orleans Cruise Hotel Pre stay?

Has anyone recently booked a hotel in New Orleans for a pre stay before your cruise? We would like to stay a day before and maybe after our cruise and leave our car at the hotel during the cruise.... Any suggestions?

Old October 9th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

There are a few to choose from, check out the Ports of Call under New Orleans, we're an hour from the dock in New Orleans, but are staying in town the night before to get the party started, we booked at Holiday Inn New Orleans, Royal and Canal with 7 days of parking 149. for the night
NCL-Jewel 01/2014

Old October 9th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

We stayed at the Marriott on Canal St. I would book this hotel again in a heartbeat! I LOVED the hotel and the location. We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the pier. So not sure about parking rates. I LOVE New Orleans. I felt safe walking at night and the food is soooo good there. The city really seems to never sleep
RCCL: Adventure 2-2003 Enchantment 3-2003 Majesty 5-2003 Adventure 9-2003 Sovereign 11-2003 Sovereign 1-2004 Grandeur 3-2004 Voyager 5-2004 Jewel 1-2005 Majesty 2-2005 Voyager 10-2005 Navigator 2-2006 Explorer 5-2006 Mariner 10-2006 Serenade 4-2007 Sovereign 9-2008 Jewel 11-2011
Princess: Grand 10-2004
NCL: Dawn 10-2006
Disney: Magic 9-2009, Fantasy 9-2012
Carnival: Sensation 5-2010
Up next Liberty of the Seas 12/11/2014

Last edited by bobbie0253; October 9th, 2006 at 10:00 PM.

Old October 9th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

You might try this link - one of the several sites advertising cruise parking deals: http://www.cruisedealsforless.com/bestdealhotels.html

Although we customarily stay at the Sheraton on Canal due to (comfortable beds and) great rates using our "starwood" hotel points - which, I think, makes it cost-effective despite paying the port $100 for week-long parking.

I've never had a problem finding great deals through travelocity, expedia or travelzoo at one of the numerous decent hotels in or around the quarter (prince conti, ambassador, alexa, pelham, even monteleone). All quaint and distinctive and clean. I figure once you factor round-trip taxi from one of the "cruise and park" hotel deals, you come out as well to simply find a hotel deal - then drive yourself to and from the port, parking for $100.

Old October 10th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Another link - this one from the new orleans convention and visitors bureau - for cruise parking deals. Good luck:

http://www.neworleanscvb.com/static/...subsectionID/0

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 10th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hotels and Parking in New Orleans

Thanks for the replies... I will start checking your web addresses for a hotel with week long parking...

Old October 10th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hampton Inn Convention Center has $8 a day parking and a free shuttle to the pier & back for cruisers.

Old October 10th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Go to www.maisonstcharles.com

It is a beautiful, historic, garden district hotel. Free parking.

Ask for the Bon voyage package.

Unofficial VP for Balcony Sitting

DREAM 6-29-14 Cozumel, Jamaica, & Grand Caymen!
Freedom 7-14-12 35th Anniversary Cruise with family and friends- BEST ever cruise!!
Fantasy 6-5-10 All the Kids & Cousins on board!
Fantasy 6-30-07 I want to go back!
Conquest 7-2-06 Ahh...the memories!
Elation 7-17-05 Detoured cruise to the Bahamas!
Memories: Key West, Freeport, Nassau, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba, & MANY more to make

Old October 10th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Editor

Default Expensive!

Planning to visit New Orleans the weekend prior to Norwegian Sun's departure (I'm updating our port profile and minibreak, the latter of which, sadly enough, was completed a week prior to Katrina's visit and so never launched), I was frankly shocked at the hotel prices. Everything I tried was in the $200 range. For a Saturday (okay, I can get that) but also for Sunday (the dead night for hotels, the night that falls uneasily between weekend getaway and business travel).

Am I wrong to be so surprised? It was my impression that NOLA hoteliers were hungry for business. It's not that I want to take advantage -- but frankly I feel like $250 a night for a leisure stay is on the high side.

Admittedly, we could do the Hampton Inn for less but it's a romantic getaway and we're willing to splurge, a bit. But with the outrageous airfare on top of the kind-of-outrageous hotel prices.... I am just surprised.

Carolyn

Old October 10th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

The first NCL Sun cruise is 5 days away, so the weekend before has already passed?

The New Orleans economy is based on tourism and conventions. They are desperate for both. Weekends are often very popular for tourists and well as pre/post convention stays. During the week, hotels are often less expensive.

For a list of what convention might be in town you can check here:
http://www.neworleanscvb.com/static/...subsectionID/0

Where are you looking to stay? In the French Quarter? Near the cruise ships?

I see rates for the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel (one of the hotels NCL uses for pre-cruise stays) is $137/night and is in a great location to explore the French Quarter. Even less for AAA or AARP.

Last edited by zydecocruiser; October 10th, 2006 at 11:55 PM.

Old October 11th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor@cruisecritic
Planning to visit New Orleans the weekend prior to Norwegian Sun's departure (I'm updating our port profile and minibreak, the latter of which, sadly enough, was completed a week prior to Katrina's visit and so never launched), I was frankly shocked at the hotel prices. Everything I tried was in the $200 range. For a Saturday (okay, I can get that) but also for Sunday (the dead night for hotels, the night that falls uneasily between weekend getaway and business travel).

Am I wrong to be so surprised? It was my impression that NOLA hoteliers were hungry for business. It's not that I want to take advantage -- but frankly I feel like $250 a night for a leisure stay is on the high side.

Admittedly, we could do the Hampton Inn for less but it's a romantic getaway and we're willing to splurge, a bit. But with the outrageous airfare on top of the kind-of-outrageous hotel prices.... I am just surprised.

Carolyn

Carolyn

As mentioned above, we have stayed at the Masion St Charles before and will again this weekend. $139 for 4 adults sharing a double queen room with free parking for the duration of the cruise.

The hotel is really nice - Ranked 3 diamonds by AAA

RDS

Old October 27th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnell
Hampton Inn Convention Center has $8 a day parking and a free shuttle to the pier & back for cruisers.
How do you get to the French Quarter from this hotel and leave your car at the hotel? Driving and parking in the FQ is terrible... It is best to walk the FQ.

Old October 27th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

We left the car parked and walked to Bourbon Street from the hotel.

We paid $129 for a room for four and $49.98 to park for 8 nights. They took us to the pier in the morning but we had to get back the following Sunday on our own. I left the luggage with my wife and I walked back to get the car and drove to the pier to pick her up. The entire process took less than 1/2 hour.

Old October 28th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default AmeriHost inn & Suites

Hey guys does anyone know anything about the AmeriHost Inn & Suites on canal street? I am a manager at the AmeriHost inn & Suites in Indiana and i get an employee discount (normal runs 149.00 thursday 199 friday) i only have to pay $25.00 a night for any room. I already have reservations but i wanted to make sure i was in a safe neighborhood. Anyone ever stayed here or know anyhting about it. Parking in free as well. My safety and the safety of my family has no price tag so if it is in a bad area i will be more than happy to pay more to stay somewhere safe.

Old November 8th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default AmeriHost New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles4me
I already have reservations but i wanted to make sure i was in a safe neighborhood. Anyone ever stayed here or know anyhting about it. Parking in free as well. My safety and the safety of my family has no price tag so if it is in a bad area i will be more than happy to pay more to stay somewhere safe.
I would rate this as a borderline area. Since it's on Canal Street (one of the major streets) you should be OK, but it's a couple blocks out of the range of the "safe" area of the French Quarter. The Canal Streetcars are running, so you shouldn't have trouble getting to/from the hotel - although I don't know their hours.

I wouldn't have any problem with this area during the day, but wouldn't be wandering around there at night. One of the few open project areas is on Rampart and Iberville, which is about 2 blocks away from this hotel - but then it's only a block away from the French Quarter and that's considered a safe area.

If it were me, I'd do it. Definitely not a seriously dangerous area of town.

Old November 9th, 2006, 07:29 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by map70065

If it were me, I'd do it. Definitely not a seriously dangerous area of town.
Since you brought up the question of safety, would you mind answering a question. We are going to be staying at the Holiday Inn on Royal and walking about 3 1/2 blocks to the Omni Royal Orleans (and back) on a Wednesday night. Is that OK or would do you think we need to take a taxi?
Thanks!!

COMPLETES THE FLEET

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
22 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale) ONLY Double Milestone under the age of 21 in the world.....woo hoo!!
Showing the world what a kid with Autism can do!!!
25 year old son... finally DIAMOND (college got in the way). About to "cruise more than all of us under the water" as a. Naval Officer.

Holiday Ship On A Stick with a MARBLE base...

Old November 9th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

LHP: That area would be safe to walk. Just remember, always walk down well lit and traveled streets.
NCL SPIRIT 1-08
CARNIVAL FANTASY 2-07
RCCL SPLENDOR OF THE SEAS 2-06
CARNIVAL VALOR 4-05
CARNIVAL CONQUEST 6-03

Old November 10th, 2006, 12:02 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********
LHP: That area would be safe to walk. Just remember, always walk down well lit and traveled streets.

Thanks so much. Hubby always tells me to put my "witch" (using clean lanuage) face on when we walk in unknown areas...as well as staying on those well lit....well traveled streets.

Old November 10th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Shuttle service?

Does anyone know if Harrahs has a shuttle bus either from the airport to their hotel or from their hotel to the port?

Old November 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have checked on line with several hotels and none had an available room for the stay, park and cruise specials that they were advertising... Have you found anything recent?