Tell Me About Risa Barnes

buddyjo143

It has been a few years since we sailed with her. She was fine. I don't remember any un-necessary or loud announcements. She was friendly when we ran into her at one of the ports. I witnessed her helping a couple get back to their inside cabin on Main (the husband was disabled and the wife was clearly overwhelmed with the wheelchair) ...all the way to the cabin. She had just gotten back from the beach herself. They thought it was a "nice" fellow passenger who had helped them.

The programs and games ran smoothly...so all in all...I would give her an A.

I really liked Risa. We are from the same "neck of the woods" and we spoke for about 10 minutes one day when I just saw her walking around, visiting with passengers. I thought she was very approachable, and really seems to love her job.

Risa was the CD when DH and I cruised Celebration back in Feb of 06 and she was great, Dh was in the welcome aboard show and my name was also mentioned as it was my birthday and any time we saw her on the ship, which was alot because Celebration is a small ship she addressed us by name, which really impressed me. She was alot of fun and very personalbe.

Kim

• 1 year later...

Risa is OUTSTANDING! I love that girl!!

She's the most amazing organizer I've ever seen. She's great with the passengers, constantly, and will do pretty much anything she can to make a voyage special.

She's one of the best cruise directors I've ever sailed with!!!

:)

Hi, Risa!!!

:D

This is a very OLD posting someone posted to so the ship information is no longer valid. Risa is currently assigned to the Carnival Fantasy. She is currently on vacation.

All I can say is that Risa is avoiding me. She was suppose to be on the Blogger's cruise and got pulled to do a charter. Now I am sailing again on the Fantasy and her vacation has been extended for her to go to a Cruise Director Conference onboard the Carnival Imagination Nov 16-20th. :)

Dave

Risa is OUTSTANDING! I love that girl!!

She's the most amazing organizer I've ever seen. She's great with the passengers, constantly, and will do pretty much anything she can to make a voyage special.

She's one of the best cruise directors I've ever sailed with!!!

:)

Hi, Risa!!!

:D

I found her to be the worse CD I have ever sailed with. She was too matter of fact, no humor in her monologues. Couldn't sing, tell a joke, humorless, timing was off except when she did the little joke with a kid about putting a quarter under his pillow and it would be five dollars the next morning.

I found her to be the worse CD I have ever sailed with. She was too matter of fact, no humor in her monologues. Couldn't sing, tell a joke, humorless, timing was off except when she did the little joke with a kid about putting a quarter under his pillow and it would be five dollars the next morning.

Just shows that no CD is going to "good" to every single person.

Just as in real life....no individual is going to gel with every other individual in the world.

There are folks that LOVE Steve Cassel and he was by far the worst CD we have ever had.

Wow, I am really surprised to hear that. We thought she was fabulous. But, to each his own. :)

Risa was CD on my Inspiration cruise last November. While the CD doesn't make or break the cruise for me, they can enhance the cruise experience. Malcolm Burn has been my favorite and I thought he really set the tone for two great cruises for me. Risa and Butch are two I felt that didn't really come across that way to me.

Well, since this thread is back I will throw in my two cents.

I cruised with Risa three times on Inspiration and found her to be a great CD. She was the first CD that I saw hosting a "Cruise Life Q and A" session with passengers and I thought that was pretty cool. I spoke to her a few times, and she was always very nice and approachable. I would like to have her as a CD again if she comes back to a FL based ship.

Risa was the CD on our Fantasy cruise this past April when we were diverted mid-cruise due to swine flu. Instead of 1 day in Progresso and 1 day in Cozumel, we got 4 + days at sea and 6 hours in Key West on a 5-day cruise.

Considering the re-route didn't happen until day 2 of the cruise, I thought Risa did an OUTSTANDING job! Theree were tons of shiopboard activities on our extra sea days, Risa was always out & about and was very friendly and approachable every time we saw her, which was a lot.

1 thing to remember is, we didn't just have cranky passengers due to missed ports. These port days are the closest thing to a "day off" that the cruise employees get as well, and the employees were consistently friendly, upbeat, and continued to provide excellent service, even in the face of a LOT of cranky cruisers - I attribute at least some of that to the leadership of Risa.

I would sail again with Risa in a heartbeat, she is WONDERFUL.

Is Risa the funniest...no...not by a long ways. She can tell a joke or two, but most are borrowed from others. But, if I want the hear a comedian I can hear plenty.

Can she sing...well...lets not go there. I have never heard anyone talk about John Healds great singing voice either.

We had Risa on our second cruise. She is personable and learns who her guests are. She goes the extra effort of going out into the crowd before a show and meets groups and people. She goes the extra mile of doing things people need.

Risa started out as a bar maid and has served in every position on the ship (except, as she jokes...Captain) She has a greater understanding of all the jobs on board then most people can imagine, and she has an understanding of the needs of the guests better than most CD's can start to have.

She also has been a trainer to several other CD's and gives her staff a lot more responsibility than some. She wants her staff to know not only their jobs, but others also.

Four times we have been scheduled to be with Risa...and twice she has been on vacation. She was supposed to be with us next week, but they are having a CD conference.

If you want a comedy show...nothing is funnier than Big Tex (BTW also trained by Risa) and his dance steps

You want to hear a good singer....go find Todd Whitmer...

But...if you want Customer service....find whatever ship Risa is on.

JB

Is Risa the funniest...no...not by a long ways. She can tell a joke or two, but most are borrowed from others. But, if I want the hear a comedian I can hear plenty.

Can she sing...well...lets not go there. I have never heard anyone talk about John Healds great singing voice either.

We had Risa on our second cruise. She is personable and learns who her guests are. She goes the extra effort of going out into the crowd before a show and meets groups and people. She goes the extra mile of doing things people need.

Risa started out as a bar maid and has served in every position on the ship (except, as she jokes...Captain) She has a greater understanding of all the jobs on board then most people can imagine, and she has an understanding of the needs of the guests better than most CD's can start to have.

She also has been a trainer to several other CD's and gives her staff a lot more responsibility than some. She wants her staff to know not only their jobs, but others also.

Four times we have been scheduled to be with Risa...and twice she has been on vacation. She was supposed to be with us next week, but they are having a CD conference.

If you want a comedy show...nothing is funnier than Big Tex (BTW also trained by Risa) and his dance steps

You want to hear a good singer....go find Todd Whitmer...

But...if you want Customer service....find whatever ship Risa is on.

JB

I can't believe you are missing Risa AGAIN.

We have only sailed with her once and we just loved her.

Tell Noonan that DJ's Mom said HI!!! (and if you get the chance...get to know Hennie (Papa Smurf) ACD...he is a HOOT!!!

Come to think of it...IF Kevin is going to the CD Conference (he is now an "acting CD").... then Hennie might be your CD. If he is, I believe it will be his second go at it. (first go at it was in September....)

Archived