Christmas Cruise

Calliope

I made my fifth voyage on the AMERICAN QUEEN while under the current ownership, and I've seen many changes since my first trip. The experience has improved dramatically over the past few years. The boat was brightly decorated for the holidays, and the staff reflected the joyous mood of the season. The best thing though was the dramatic turn around in the dining room. The food has always been good, but service was sorely lacking in the past. Not this time; the service was excellent! Food was served in a proper and timely order. The room stewardess kept the room tidy and in order. Entertainment was fantastic! In my opinion, better than most other cruise ships that I've been on.

It's taken a few years to get where the service is now. Hopefully, this is the start of something that will carry over into next year after layup is over. Also improvements are being made in the general upkeep of the vessel. Over the next few years plans are to place polished wood railing caps on all railings, and to paint the boat with a premium paint designed for luxury yachts. The areas already painted with this new paint shine. Also planned are covering the decks with some sort of marine decking that mimics teak. Finally during layup she'll be getting a new paddlewheel shaft.

I made my fifth voyage on the AMERICAN QUEEN while under the current ownership, and I've seen many changes since my first trip. The experience has improved dramatically over the past few years. The boat was brightly decorated for the holidays, and the staff reflected the joyous mood of the season. The best thing though was the dramatic turn around in the dining room. The food has always been good, but service was sorely lacking in the past. Not this time; the service was excellent! Food was served in a proper and timely order. The room stewardess kept the room tidy and in order. Entertainment was fantastic! In my opinion, better than most other cruise ships that I've been on.

It's taken a few years to get where the service is now. Hopefully, this is the start of something that will carry over into next year after layup is over. Also improvements are being made in the general upkeep of the vessel. Over the next few years plans are to place polished wood railing caps on all railings, and to paint the boat with a premium paint designed for luxury yachts. The areas already painted with this new paint shine. Also planned are covering the decks with some sort of marine decking that mimics teak. Finally during layup she'll be getting a new paddlewheel shaft.

I was on the cruise just prior to yours, my 4th since the re-launch in 2012, and I echo the remarks about the fabulous service. I had lukewarm soup once, but after gently bringing it to the server's attention, it became a joke about handling the bowl because it was so hot! I was a happy souper. We also had a couple of small issues with mistakes in the orders. A quiet word with the assistant maitre 'd resulted in his assurance that we'd see a complete change, and we did! The waitress may have had a bad day or two, but she became bubbly and infectious and an expert server. I don't know what the maitre 'd said, but it was magic.

We were in 402 and our friends in 404, and we hared the marvelous Jennifer as our cabin steward. Housekeeping couldn't have been better, and Jennifer was always laughing.

The entertainment was great, it seems impossible that the 4 singers and dancers could learn so many routines and so much choreography, but they were perfect. We were also fortunate to have Lindy and Greg, the entertainers and co-cruise directors from American Empress, aboard. They were great fun, put on some impromptu entertainment, and became good friends. They were good enough to tempt us to a cross-country trip to try Empress, but probably not for a couple of years as our schedule is pretty full. The cruise was so successful that our friends, first-timers on AQ, booked the Nashville cruise next October.

We almost didn't take this cruise; we were scheduled for a 180 day Miami to Miami Around-The-World cruise on Oceania Insignia starting Jan 10. However, we're now doubly glad we made the trip to New Orleans, because Insignia had a tragic engine fire in St. Lucia a couple of weeks ago, and on returning home from New Orleans on Dec 23, we learned that repairs would take so long they were cancelling the first half of the world cruise. We opted to cancel and rebook the same cruise in January, 2016, so that fills our calendar for that year.

This year, with the sudden void, we're taking a couple of RV road trips and have a 21 day cruise scheduled for October.

We can't wait to get back on AQ!

• 2 months later...

What was the route of your River Cruise? Thanks, Char

I was on the cruise just prior to yours, my 4th since the re-launch in 2012, and I echo the remarks about the fabulous service. I had lukewarm soup once, but after gently bringing it to the server's attention, it became a joke about handling the bowl because it was so hot! I was a happy souper. We also had a couple of small issues with mistakes in the orders. A quiet word with the assistant maitre 'd resulted in his assurance that we'd see a complete change, and we did! The waitress may have had a bad day or two, but she became bubbly and infectious and an expert server. I don't know what the maitre 'd said, but it was magic.

We were in 402 and our friends in 404, and we hared the marvelous Jennifer as our cabin steward. Housekeeping couldn't have been better, and Jennifer was always laughing.

The entertainment was great, it seems impossible that the 4 singers and dancers could learn so many routines and so much choreography, but they were perfect. We were also fortunate to have Lindy and Greg, the entertainers and co-cruise directors from American Empress, aboard. They were great fun, put on some impromptu entertainment, and became good friends. They were good enough to tempt us to a cross-country trip to try Empress, but probably not for a couple of years as our schedule is pretty full. The cruise was so successful that our friends, first-timers on AQ, booked the Nashville cruise next October.

We almost didn't take this cruise; we were scheduled for a 180 day Miami to Miami Around-The-World cruise on Oceania Insignia starting Jan 10. However, we're now doubly glad we made the trip to New Orleans, because Insignia had a tragic engine fire in St. Lucia a couple of weeks ago, and on returning home from New Orleans on Dec 23, we learned that repairs would take so long they were cancelling the first half of the world cruise. We opted to cancel and rebook the same cruise in January, 2016, so that fills our calendar for that year.

This year, with the sudden void, we're taking a couple of RV road trips and have a 21 day cruise scheduled for October.

We can't wait to get back on AQ!

You mentioned New Orleans, which route did you cruise? We are considering the Memphis to New Orleans trip. Thanks, Char

This past year's Christmas trip was a seven night round trip out of New Orleans. We stopped at Oak Alley Plantation, skipped St. Francisville due to mechanical problems, and then visited Natchez, Vicksburg, and finally Nottoway Plantation.

I have been between New Orleans and Memphis on the DELTA QUEEN, but that was in 1982.

You mentioned New Orleans, which route did you cruise? We are considering the Memphis to New Orleans trip. Thanks, Char

New Orleans to Vicksburg to New Orleans, stopping at Oak Alley, St Francisville, Baton Rouge and Plantation Landing.

• 3 months later...

We are considering that same RT holiday voyage out of NEw Orleans this year with friends. We have sailed various Ocean cruises ( just returning from the new Viking Oceans) and have sailed Viking Amsterdam- Budapest ( which we loved).

Could you give me some contrasts and comparisons between the river cruises in Europe (I am not meaning ports comparison) in terms of cabins, food, included beverages, comfort....

I would also very much enjoy your feedback on this itinerary hondorner - particularly during the holidays?

Thank you very much!

We are considering that same RT holiday voyage out of NEw Orleans this year with friends. We have sailed various Ocean cruises ( just returning from the new Viking Oceans) and have sailed Viking Amsterdam- Budapest ( which we loved).

Could you give me some contrasts and comparisons between the river cruises in Europe (I am not meaning ports comparison) in terms of cabins, food, included beverages, comfort....

I would also very much enjoy your feedback on this itinerary hondorner - particularly during the holidays?

Thank you very much!

Our ocean cruises are normally with Oceania, although we have sailed Regent twice, and NCL is our go-to when the budget is tight :cool:. We have sailed AQ 4 times since the new company in 2012 and are booked for St. Louis to St. Louis Aug 22. We have sailed only one European river cruise, a 7 day Viking from Amsterdam to Basel, in one of the new Longships.

The American and European river cruises are different, but both great in their own way.

We were in the "basement" on the Viking boat, so our outside view from the cabin was of the surface of the river. It didn't really matter much, because we only had a couple of half-days of "river cruising", primarily through the "castles on the Rhine" section. and we spent those outside on the top deck. Of course, all access to the cabins on the Longships is from the interior passageways. As a new ship from Scandinavia it was very modern and minimalist. The Cruise Director was somewhat formal in his manner, but all the other staff was very open and friendly. The food was pretty good, not exceptional. We certainly didn't go hungry.

Other than the fact that they are both on rivers, the American Queen is completely different. The design and ambiance of the boat is straight from the 1890's riverboat. The decor is ornate with either authentic antiques or excellent reproductions, very difficult to tell which is which.

As a reproduction riverboat, most of the access throughout the boat is on the exterior decks, Only inside cabins, bay window cabins on Deck Two, and the few cabins with exterior balconies are accessed from inside passageways; all the rest face to common promenade decks. I wasn't certain I'd like that, used to a certain amount of privacy on ocean-going ships, but I quickly learned that AQ is a very social boat -- if you are sitting outside your cabin watching the river, folks are walking by and often stop to chat -- unless you have your head buried in a book.

AQ is slower than a European river boat, traveling at an average 7 mph. This is very relaxing. One of the most popular spots on the boat is the Front Porch, where there are tables and chairs and swings, backed up by the casual alternative dining area with soda and ice cream and breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks if you want to eat outside (there are a few tables inside, as well). There is a sundeck on the top of the boat, but it isn't used as much as the European river boats, which have much smaller outside areas on the lower decks.

The food is rich, southern gourmet cooking. There is Andouille sausage in some fashion somewhere at almost every meal (great, because I love it). Breakfast and lunch are buffet style, while dinner is sit-down. I'd much rather have open dining like Oceania, but I don't mind the two-sitting, fixed seating on AQ, because the fellow guests are so nice.

The cabins are furnished with antiques with an Victorian America ambiance. The bathrooms are large enough with a combo tub/shower, black & white tile and pedestal sink. The beds are comfortable. We have tended to book in larger (but not the largest) cabins on Deck 4; we have had the cabin directly above the paddlewheel, and ones on either side of the Chart Room. Next time, we are trying one of the bay window cabins on Deck 2.

Regarding any itinerary on AQ, you have to love small-town America. There is little that is spectacular, but everything that is memorable. Each voyage is themed, and the themes are carried out very well. We've sailed on a Civil War theme with General Grant and General Lee and wife, Civil War era music and expert guides to Civil War battlefields. We've sailed on a Lincoln themed cruise with expert lecturers from the Lincoln Foundation and Old Abe himself. Our Cincinnati to Pittsburgh cruise was Big Band music, and the December New Orleans cruise is definitely holiday-themed. The boat is nicely decorated, and most of the towns visited are "dressed" to the hilt for the holidays. The Plantations, especially, are beautifully decorated , and one had a bonfire on the levy just for us (most of the bonfires are on Christmas Eve).

Our next cruise will be themed "Mark Twain", with stop in Hannibal and special visits to the Mark Twain museum and other sites, and expert lecturers Mark Twain, himself, will be on board.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them for you.

Thank you very much for your time and information. In researching further, I realize that it is the new American Eagle with American Cruise Lines that is being considered. I am not seeing this company under River Cruises on CC.....so mistakenly thought that this was it.

If you know anything about this company/Paddlewheel - or where I might access information that I am somehow missing I would appreciate that.

It does sound as if the itineraries are the same/similar. It also sounds like the cities are a bit limited in options of various things/sites to see? Is it easy to access these cities directly from the boat, or do you really need to travel via bus?

Our Viking Longship trip was amazing. Their new Oceans group/new ship is pretty wonderful as well.

Thanks again!

Thank you very much for your time and information. In researching further, I realize that it is the new American Eagle with American Cruise Lines that is being considered. I am not seeing this company under River Cruises on CC.....so mistakenly thought that this was it.

If you know anything about this company/Paddlewheel - or where I might access information that I am somehow missing I would appreciate that.

It does sound as if the itineraries are the same/similar. It also sounds like the cities are a bit limited in options of various things/sites to see? Is it easy to access these cities directly from the boat, or do you really need to travel via bus?

Our Viking Longship trip was amazing. Their new Oceans group/new ship is pretty wonderful as well.

Thanks again!

Actually considering American Cruise Line? I have not, and will not sail with them (for reasons of personal preference and maybe some prejudice), but I know a little about them. Their boats are more modern, with balconies like ocean going ships, and smaller -- 150 versus 400 guests. I think they are more expensive. They have a paddlewheel, but they are only for decoration. They sort of look like a riverboat, bug are not exactly authentic.

American Queen is a very close replica, has a real steam engine and an authentic restored calliope, and is designed and decorated in a fashion with which Marl Twain would be familiar. That's important to me.