Buck Island

Colbycat

I have read on these boards that it is possible to go snorkeling at Buck Island without being a part of a tour. I believe people have said to take a taxi to Christiansted and there will be lots of boats willing to take you to the island and snorkeling. Has anyone gone and done this? What did it end up costing for the taxi ride? For the boat ride? How long did the snorkeling last? Any tips in this would be appreciated! Thanks.

You cannot go to Buck Island without a tour. There are several boats that go out, you can book independently. Our favorite is the Teroro II with Capt Heinz and Capt Carl (father and son who have lived on the island their entire lives). They go out of Green Cay Marina and the tour is 65pp. Several others leave from Christiansted. Some are smaller sailboats and others larger catamarans. Definitely book on your own :) Have fun! The trip is SO worth it!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wondering is the under water national Monument is still pristine? Years ago we loved it. I have read mixed reviews about The reef being dead but coming back. Also want to know if it is to shallow to snorkel comfortably.

has anyone taken the Carnival tour there?

Thanks for any information!

Wondering is the under water national Monument is still pristine? Years ago we loved it. I have read mixed reviews about The reef being dead but coming back. Also want to know if it is to shallow to snorkel comfortably.

has anyone taken the Carnival tour there?

Thanks for any information!

Not pristine but definitely getting better! It's well worth the trip and it's a very comfortable snorkel.

Thank you for your reply. When we snorkeled it 20 years ago it was the most fantastic thing I have ever seen. I am guessing it is not as good of reef as it used to be. May not be worth $200 for us to do it:(.

Holy ****! They charge $200!!? That's insane.

Is Buck Island worth going to for snorkeling? If so, what's the best value and best way to get there? If not Buck Island, what's good for snorkeling? Thanks in advance.

I always say if you're only in town for a day you should skip buck island and save the money. Go to Sandcastle beach, grab some snorkel gear and have a great time. When you get tired (which you will) they have a great bar and restaurant, plus a pool and lounging area. If it's a Sunday I'll be sitting at the pool bar, come say hi!

• 3 weeks later...
How far is the taxi ride?

Not sure where you are docking, but Frederiksted to Christiansted is about a 40 minute ride. Royal docked in Frederiksted when we stopped, not sure if Carnival or others dock in other locations.?

We went in September 2013, the reef is pretty bland, there was a fair amount of marine life to see.

The boat ride was very rough as were the seas the day we went.

We booked directly through Royal Caribbean for about $100/person.

We are headed back to St Croix in about 2 months, we will NOT be going on the Buck Island snorkeling tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone done this tour? From what I can see it does NOT include any food.

Please give me information as to what you do for food. I cannot see doing something like that all day without food.