Klein Tours MV Legend Review

NE_Traveler

My family initially picked the Legend because it seemed to be one of the more reasonably priced Galapagos tours and because the boat was bigger (and I was afraid of getting seasick since a coworker of mine had previously gone to the Galapagos and been on an 8 passenger boat but was too sick to enjoy any of the trip). The crowd seemed mostly to be in the 30-55 range, though there were probably 10 children and a couple of older folks. This is an ACTIVE cruise—not just a sit around on the boat kind of a thing. All the kids were great and really well behaved, which actually made it more fun because they were just overjoyed at seeing all of the animals.

From the very beginning, KleinTours showed what professionals they are. We arrived at the domestic departure portion of the airport in Quito and found it to be the most crowded, confusing place ever. There were a million different “lines” (you can hardly call them that since the Ecuadorian people seem not to believe in them—they just push to the front). Once we navigated our way through and found our way to the Klein Tours representative they immediately took care of everything. We didn’t even have to wait in line at the counter for our tickets. Our bags were stickered so they would be waiting for us in our cabin on the Legend when we arrived, and we were handed our plane tickets and directions for everything we needed to do.

Upon landing in the Galapagos, we had a little time at the airport so that everybody could get through the lines, and then we boarded the Klein Tours buses. It was only a short ride to the pier, where we saw our first wildlife—sea lions and various birds. We were given life jackets and loaded into the small boats (pangas) for the short jaunt out to the Legend.

We picked up our room key on the boat and found that our luggage was already waiting for us. Our room had 2 porthole windows and two twin beds. It was small but there was definitely enough room for everything. The service in the cabins was amazing—they would make your bed while you were at breakfast and come by 3 times a day and clean/pick up trash (while you were out on excursions).

Daily life on the boat was great. We would be woken up with an announcement that breakfast was ready. After breakfast we would get ready for the first excursion (which had been briefed on the night before as for what to expect and what to pack), and we would be taken off the boat in pangas with our small groups (I think they were groups of 14 people, with about 90 total passengers on the boat). It was always a very smooth process and not a lot of waiting around. We never felt crowded and were always the only boat stopped on the islands, so 90 people certainly did not make it crowded (usually half of the people would be hiking while the other half snorkeled and then you switched). We NEVER felt rushed, which says a lot because I am always taking photos and finding myself at the back of the group but I never felt that people were waiting on me, nor did I feel like I needed to hurry. It was very relaxed and they just seemed to have it worked out so you spent the right amount of time at each place.

The excursion usually entailed snorkeling or an easy hike or both. My family has done snorkeling all over the world and this was absolutely first class. It was amazing being face to face with turtles and sea lions, seeing penguins zipping around in the water and marine iguanas diving for food, and all of the other interesting fish and coral were great too. After the first snorkel, my dad said that that alone was worth the cost of the trip. My mom and I rented wetsuits on The Legend, but the four other of our family members did not. The water was not nearly as cold as I was expecting (it was July), which was good because I get cold easily. The hikes were not strenuous and each group had a very knowledgeable guide that would point things out along the way.

When we would return to the Legend they would help us back onto the boat and there was always a delicious snack waiting. We would usually shower (if there was time) and then have the buffet lunch. At lunch, your waiter would show you the dinner choices and you would pick out your meal for the night. Some days it seemed like you were right back out there on your second daily excursion but some days the boat would have to reposition and you would have longer to relax in between.

Dinner on the boat was whatever you had picked out at lunch. The food was always good, but don’t go there expecting really fancy meals—you are in the middle of the ocean after all. One night there was an outdoor barbeque that was pretty tasty, though.

At night you would often have a video presentation about the next day and sometimes there were other activities. We were usually tired, though, and retreated to our cabins.

We did the 4 nights tour and did Baltra – Bartolome – Urbina Bay, Isabela – Espinosa Point, Fernandina – Port Egas, Santiago – Rabida – Santa Cruz – Baltra.

As far as sea sickness goes, I absolutely did not get sick at all, which is a miracle! There was one night where my husband and I woke up because the boat was rocking quite a bit, but I was able to fall right back asleep. The last morning when we were stopped in Santa Cruz the boat was rocking a lot but I felt fine. I think it really helped that the boat was large.

I can’t imagine going to the Galapagos and not doing it via a boat tour. I think you would waste a lot of time traveling. It is so nice to have the traveling part done while you are sleeping! If you love seeing interesting wildlife, great scenery, snorkeling and easy hiking, then this trip is a must. We have traveled the world and this tops our list.

Overall, our group of six had a great time. The only bad thing is we will forever be spoiled and won’t snorkel anywhere nearly that fantastic!!!

Archived