San Francisco or Los Angeles

ChollaChick

Which is a better port to sail out of? We live in Arizona so the cost to fly to SFO or LAX is similar (a bit more expensive to fly out of SFO), and though I was initially thinking of sailing from LAX, I'm now wondering if SFO would be better. Is there a plus or minus to either port?

Oh that would be gorgeous. I hadn't thought of that. What an amazing sail-away that would be.

Yes, we agree with cruiserbruce...nothing more romantic than sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge in the fog.

Either way, cruising to Hawaii will be relaxing with all the sea days. We have sailed out of both LA (San Pedro) and SF to Hawaii.

Just some random thoughts:

* Distance from airport to cruise port...about the same. Cost about the same. (See below...traffic.)

* Cruise port...San Pedro gets the nod...until the new cruise port in SF is finished. There is usually traffic congestion at the Embarcadero were passengers are disembarking and trying to board. (I would highly recommend taking a shuttle instead of a metered taxi...the traffic within 3 miles of the cruise port in SF/Embarcadero can take an hour.)

* Sights...SF hands down. The cruise port in SF is within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, Pier 39, Cable Car...you can even take a ferry to Alcatraz. SF is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. (Disclosure: I'm noticeably biased since I grew up in SF. :))

* If you are flying in a day before, the hotels near the cruise port in SF are slightly more expensive.

* Weather...SF is cooler.

* The first couple of sea days when you leave and before you get back will be cold for BOTH cities. It warms up nicely when you get closer to the islands.

* Ultimately, perhaps the cost of your flight/airfare will be the determining factor.

Hope that helped a little bit. Happy Sailing! :)

Yes, we agree with cruiserbruce...nothing more romantic than sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge in the fog.

! :)

Agree -- it was fantastic -- LA is not a pretty harbor

From the deck of the Celebrity Century a couple of years ago :)

IMG_2393.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Last year we did the LA to Hawaii from Arizona. By car from the Phoenix area it took about 7 hours to get to San Pedro. It was nice to book a park and cruise package from one of the hotels in the area. On the other hand that drive to San Francisco from Phoenix would run probably another five or six hours extra. I have not heard of any park and cruise packages there. Most likely its called park and pay hefty package. Flying into San Francisco is probably the best option in this case.

I am watching the prices for both places just waiting for that price drop for November or December. I say drive to LA and fly to San Francisco. Tim