What foods should I try on board?

Sonicked

I'm sailing next week on Rhapsody (9 nights, South Pacific) and am actually quite eager to try something different. I'm a bit of a home-body in terms of food but am really open to new ideas and flavours.

What can you recommend that is a definite I should try?

Basically, whatever strikes your fancy at the particular moment. Be impulsive. We were on Freedom last week, and regardless of whether it was the MDR, WJ or a specialty restaurant, if something looked good at the time we would order it -- you don't know if you don't try! :)

Have a great cruise!

Michael and Silke

one of the great things about cruising is trying new foods. If you do not like it, they will smile and get you something else. We have had waiters bring a dish to the table that no one has ordered and say "you need to try this". We passed it around the table with everyone getting a taste.

Also, my DW loves the small triangular rolls in the bread basket.

The salad bar in the MDR at lunch.

The granola bar in the MDR at breakfast.

Eggs Benedict for breakfast. Not on the menu but available everyday but the last day.

I'm sailing next week on Rhapsody (9 nights, South Pacific) and am actually quite eager to try something different. I'm a bit of a home-body in terms of food but am really open to new ideas and flavours.

This is one of the great things about the MDR. Order whatever you wish as much as you wish.

If you like shrimp cocktail appetizer order it. And, if you want to try escargot, order it also.

Same thing with the main entree. If you want to try something, order two entrees.

On our cruise, a couple of us ordered two or three apps every night along with two entrees.

Love the onion tart!:D Also, the fresh organge juice in the morning, xtra charge but worth it when you add some champagne;)

mmm...Vidalia Onion Tart...the one reason to eat in the MDR on the first night of the cruise. Wish they would just bring me four of those for a meal! ;) (Well, maybe not four) I'm sure our waiter would, but I don't want to scare our tablemates away the first night. :D

Someone commented about duck, and I would agree. Also lamb. Just not something I'd ever tried before cruising. Not a dish I grew up eating.

mmm...Vidalia Onion Tart...the one reason to eat in the MDR on the first night of the cruise. Wish they would just bring me four of those for a meal!

They will bring you as much as you wish. Just order 4, and you will get 4.

I like trying things you don't get at home, in general.

My faves are the lamb shank, the duck...mmmmm and the sugarless Coconut cake. All the soups, but especially the garlic soup and lobster or crab bisques. The bread, the little bites! Oh and the made to order omelettes. You can tell I've been thinking about this and we cruise in just 15 days...woohoo!

You can also request special orders from your Head Waiter. for example, if you like escargot, and they usually only serve them on one evening, you can ask your head waiter if it would be possible to get them on another evening.

They usually will happily oblige.

We missed dining in the MDR on the first formal night as we went to Chef's Table instead. That was the night they served the escargot, the next night, I asked the head waiter if it would be possible to get them on another night. No problem, in fact, he brought three orders of escargot to our table for DW and me for each remaining night of the cruise.

I have seen a woman who really liked their apple pie, (usually served on one night only) The head waiter had the pastry chef bake her a whole pie, and she had a piece for dessert for each of the remaining nights of the cruise.

ALL OF THEM!!

They're already paid for.

Unless it's something you already know you don't like, give it a shot. If you don't like it, they will take it back and bring you something else

one of the great things about cruising is trying new foods. If you do not like it, they will smile and get you something else. We have had waiters bring a dish to the table that no one has ordered and say "you need to try this". We passed it around the table with everyone getting a taste.

Also, my DW loves the small triangular rolls in the bread basket.

The salad bar in the MDR at lunch.

The granola bar in the MDR at breakfast.

Eggs Benedict for breakfast. Not on the menu but available everyday but the last day.

The "triangular rolls" are called Savory Bites and they are delicious as are all the other other items suggested above.

Also, I love the french fries in the Windjammer and the oval slices of raisin bread in the morning. Also enjoy any of the cold fruit soups at dinner. One couple at our table actually ordered the fruit soup in a glass with a straw for dessert. Delicious!!:)

Try anything you wouldn't normally purchase on land! Now, since I KNOW I don't like coconut, so, for me, that's out. But if there's something I've never had, and don't know whether or not I'd like it, I'll try in on a cruise. Escargot is the biggie. LOVE cruise ship buttery, garlicy escargot! I had had some sort of escargot pastry thing prior to cruising and I didn't care for it (too dry), but, DANG, the escargot on every cruise is to die for!

Ditto for the escargot! Also try the chilled soups, the duck and the lamb shank. For dessert: the creme brulee and warm chocolate cake with roasted pears. If you really want a special meal -- try Portofino!

Enjoy!!!

Archived