Smugglers or Sundowners?

edl868

Cruising next Spring stopping in Roatan. Thinking about hitting one of these places to avoid crowds, hang out for the afternoon, maybe do some snorkeling.

Anyone have a preference for either place? Thanks.

Cruising next Spring stopping in Roatan. Thinking about hitting one of these places to avoid crowds, hang out for the afternoon, maybe do some snorkeling.

Anyone have a preference for either place? Thanks.

Sundowners is situated between the beach/sea and a sand road with a fair amount of traffic. Because it is on Half Moon Bay, the snorkeling is easy as long as one keeps an eye out for boats.

Smugglers is on LightHouse point, as far as I can tell there is NO car traffic. Because it is on the point the water currents can be a challenge.

Depending on how much press Smugglers gets... hard to say which will be the more quiet spot..people wise.

We were there in Sept 2010 - We were the ONLY cruise passengers there for the first 2 or 3 hours. After that 4 crew members showed up saying they preferred that location as a lot of the passengers didn't visit Sundowners. Things may have changed, but that day it was just my hubby and I with 4 crew members. Had a GREAT time. Snorkeling was good and the drinks were cold from Sundowners. Best day on our cruise.

101_0223.jpg.c650510de5aa4bfaa67d43b32d552678.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back on this thread...the snorkeling was fine just out in the water, lots of sea grass...saw a squishy looking thing (sea cucumber maybe?) and a couple of lobsters. Closers to the docks where the water taxi goes (i think) there were lots of small fish. We were told that out further was excellent snorkeling but we had a fine time where we were.

Archived