Civitavecchia/Rome and Livorno/Florence DIY Nerves

Midwest_Traveler

I love this museum, the collection is a bit eclectic and it's a manageable size. I had the two older kids with me on a port day in July a few years ago - after lunch I dragged them in there just to cool off but they wound up really enjoying it.

Even though I'm laser-focused on ancient Rome, I still had to stop and appreciate the palazzo itself -- massive fireplaces, painted ceilings, funky terrace, chapel, and all. Definitely a place worth a visit. :)

Thanks for the tips! I will have to check out those museums. Maybe on my next trip back to Italy :D

I'm hoping we'll avoid the worst of the crowds by having pre-booked tickets. If not, I'll channel my inner New Yorker and get us through the hordes of tourists ;)

If a train is delayed to the point that we won't be able to get back to the port, what would be our odds of getting off at the next stop and being able to catch a taxi? I feel like that would be my last resort plan. Ok, second to last, as an overnight train to the next stop would really be my last resort plan... I would assume there would be cabs near most train stations?

If a train is delayed to the point that we won't be able to get back to the port, what would be our odds of getting off at the next stop and being able to catch a taxi? I feel like that would be my last resort plan. Ok, second to last, as an overnight train to the next stop would really be my last resort plan... I would assume there would be cabs near most train stations?

Keep in mind that the likelihood of this happening is very, very, very slight. It would be more likely that you wouldn't even set out from Rome than that a delay would occur enroute that causes you to miss your ship.

If it should happen, there are going to be hordes of others also wanting a taxi, in all likelihood -- and at smaller stations, there aren't going to be a LOT of taxis waiting....

If it's something you're really concerned about, there's probably an App somewhere that will give you numbers of local taxi services based on your location. I know when I'm going into Rome on a daytrip from a cruise, I always have the number of a taxi service with me -- just in case. But can't say I've ever worried about delays enroute.

We're leaving on the NCL Epic in a little over two weeks and I am very excited. I've read a ton on these boards and appreciate all of the information. I'm also getting a little nervous about some of my plans and would appreciate any/all feedback. As background, I studied abroad in Siena and speak limited (read: bad) Italian. The rest of the group has not been to Italy previously.

I know my plans for the stops in Civitavecchia/Rome and Livorno/Florence are ambitious, but I'm hoping that they're not impossible. I was hoping that anyone with any experience could chime in. Here are my current plans:

Rome:

1. Dock at 6 am - We will leave the ship ASAP (have priority disembark) and, assuming we're in Dock 12B as the Epic has been listed for the June dates, walk to the train station or take the shuttle bus then walk

2. Train to Ostiense (either 7:02-8:07 or 7:44-8:36)

3. Metro to Colosseo and catch 9:30 am tour of Colosseum & Forum

4. Self-guided tour of Rome, ending either at Spanish Steps or St. Peter's

5. Train back to Civitavacchia - Either 4:57-5:39 from Termini or 4:32-5:13 from St. Peter's

6. Walk back to ship

7. All aboard at 6:30

Florence:

1. Dock at 7 am - Leave ship ASAP, Get a taxi (**Any recommendations on this step? Any phone numbers or suggestions to convince them to take us to the train station?**)

2. Train to Florence (either 7:30-9:07, 7:43-9:22, or 8:12-9:32)

3. Catch 9:30am private tour of Accademia/Duomo

4. Lunch & self-guided tour of Florence

5. Train back to Livorno (3:28-4:48 or 4:28-5:48)

6. Preferably a taxi back to ship, but we could do the bus route

7. All aboard at 6:30

Sorry for such a long post! I really would appreciate any input. Other than my broken foot (oops), we're all in good shape and are very fast walkers even with my very attractive walking cast. I'm probably overthinking the timing but would rather know it's unrealistic now than miss the ship in two weeks.

Hi,

I was wondering what tour of academia and Uffizi did you get?

Does this include tix and guide? Also what is the cost?

Thanks

I was wondering what tour of academia and Uffizi did you get?

Does this include tix and guide? Also what is the cost?

We are doing the Original Florence Walk & David tour with ArtViva - http://www.italy.artviva.com/tours/43/. It does include entry into the Accademia. It cost $280 for five people for the private tour. We haven't been on the tour yet but it was highly rated on TripAdvisor and they didn't force us to take an overpriced van ride from the port like some of the other tour companies.

It does not include a tour of the Uffizi, but there are other tours that did include that museum as well. We really only have about 6 hours in Florence and I didn't feel that was enough time to see the Accademia and the Uffizi (plus anything else in Florence). I'm also the art buff in the family and I'm fortunate enough to have been several times before so I was all right skipping it this trip :)

I have just started to research what to do on our next visit to Rome. I have been there 3 times (once on a cruise and twice for business). Your post reminded me that the first time (the cruise) we took a ship tour which included the afternoon on our own. We had to return to the Vatican by a certain time but unfortunately in the afternoon we got very lost walking around despite having maps. I am usually very good at finding my way but for some reason found it very difficult in Rome and we almost missed the pickup. We ended up in an area where there didn't seem to be any taxis, few shops and we had to run a long way to find out way back. I don't think I have every been so stressed on an excursion before.

I did not want to stay inRome this time but we stayed two nights in Tivoli. We had a hire car, my husband is originally Italian and speaks the language and he brought our navigator from home as he is used to it. We have driven in Italy on about five previous trips.

Despite this we got totally lost around Tivoli and he even started to drive the wrong way down a one way street while the locals yelled at us. Totally stressful and I was ever so glad when we returned the car undamaged, at Civi before our cruise.

Edited by Karennella