Civitavecchia.......not Rome

AudBee

I am assuming that you have all been to Rome once or twice (or more). If not, there is just so much to see in Rome. Most of the other options involve leaving Citiv. Have you thought of Tarquinia?

I second Tarquinia. I personally do not like Rome - have seen the important things and that's it for me. Tarquinia was a nice alternative. It was quiet and more a sense of life in Italy.

I am assuming that you have all been to Rome once or twice (or more). If not, there is just so much to see in Rome. Most of the other options involve leaving Citiv. Have you thought of Tarquinia?

Have done Rome many times and as in Livorna the next day we would rather go to Florence and make that our big day port......so just looking for an alternative to staying on ship :)

If you plan to stay in Civitavecchia, just keep your hopes modest. The attractions are limited and it's not the most charming of Italian towns, whatever the local websites may spin.

Of things in the near vicinity, Tarquinia is probably the most interesting option. If you go, plan on seeing the museum as well as the tombs.

Actually we had a very pleasant day and a half in Civi after our two weeks touring in Italy and before our cruise. We had no wish to go into Rome as we have been there several times.

We went shopping, we wandered around looking at the fort and the area around there, we had several meals, went to a small museum and a church.We walked up to the beach and admired the very fashionable dogs which were attired in scarves matching their owners. Basically did as the locals do on the weekend and joined in the passagiata ie evening stroll.

Obviously if you have not seen the iconic attractions in Rome they are a big draw. But at the end of a fortnight looking at cathedrals and museums, trulli and sassi, dramatic cliffs and ancient ruins, we were very happy to relax and be Italian! Because I can assure you that most of the Italians do not spend their weekends sightseeing any more than we do at home.

I was in the same situation as you and gleamed a lot of info from the wonderful CC people. At first we were going to do Tarquinia by local bus then we came across Orvieto & Civita di bagnoregio. Once I googled Civita I just have to go there. I think this is a once in a lifetime visit. Have booked a private tour with Joe Bananas/Italy Tour share with fellow cruisers. I actually have now booked 4 tours with them and just counting the days now till we sail in. Oct. Hope this has helped. Cheers

Edited by neenee61

We also plan to do something else rather than go to Rome and very much liked the idea of going to Tarquinia but, unfortunately, we will be docking on a Monday and that is the only day of the week that the National Museum and Etruscan Necropolis are closed. Very disappointed. So, if you will not be in port on a Monday I would urge you to look at going to Tarquinia. There is a bus from Civitavecchia (also train, but Tom's Port guide recommends the bus). Now I have to come up with a different plan!

• 3 weeks later...
I was in the same situation as you and gleamed a lot of info from the wonderful CC people. At first we were going to do Tarquinia by local bus then we came across Orvieto & Civita di bagnoregio. Once I googled Civita I just have to go there. I think this is a once in a lifetime visit. Have booked a private tour with Joe Bananas/Italy Tour share with fellow cruisers. I actually have now booked 4 tours with them and just counting the days now till we sail in. Oct. Hope this has helped. Cheers

We did a tour like this. Did not want to do a one day rush trip into Rome as we had seen the main attractions previously.

Actually we had a very pleasant day and a half in Civi after our two weeks touring in Italy and before our cruise. We had no wish to go into Rome as we have been there several times.

We went shopping, we wandered around looking at the fort and the area around there, we had several meals, went to a small museum and a church.We walked up to the beach and admired the very fashionable dogs which were attired in scarves matching their owners. Basically did as the locals do on the weekend and joined in the passagiata ie evening stroll.

Obviously if you have not seen the iconic attractions in Rome they are a big draw. But at the end of a fortnight looking at cathedrals and museums, trulli and sassi, dramatic cliffs and ancient ruins, we were very happy to relax and be Italian! Because I can assure you that most of the Italians do not spend their weekends sightseeing any more than we do at home.

Any of the restaurants you ate at knock your socks off? Any within walking distance of ship?