Maui and Kauai with young children

amcb

Does anyone have any suggestions for activities with young children in Maui and Kauai? Most everything we've found has an age minimum of at least 5 years old, and our youngest will only be 3.5. Our other two children are 7 and 8. We are sailing on Pride of America in May.

Thanks in advance,

amcb

Your best option is to read a guidebook...find out ALL there is in each place! Many things don't require an excursion at all! Kids LIVE there...so there are plenty of kid/family friendly things...and a guidebook will tell you all about them!

The more you know about where you're going, the better time you'll have!

Thanks cb. My husband actually lived in Hawaii for 3 years so he's pretty familiar with the different islands and what there is to do and see. We're more trying to find service providers that are kid friendly and work within the time constraints of the cruise.

:-) amcb

I have not "cruised" the Hawaiian islands but have visited with our children since they were infants. How about surf lessons in Maui? Our children were 4, 6, and 8 when they learned there. Snorkeling trips are always good. I know we took ours to Molikini before the age of 5 and also on a zodiac snorkel/dolphin trip to Lanai before all were over the age of 5. Do they like to hike? Lots of nice easy hikes to waterfalls on both islands. I have found that horseback riding was the biggest age limitation we had, but times change. If I think of something else I will post again. Have you checked on trip advisor?

Cherie

I would suggest Trip Advisor as well for each island. You can find tons of the top activities and scenic sights as recommended by those who have done them. That will give you a good idea of the possibilities and you can then choose what is a good fit for your family.

There are not a lot of "time constraints" with a POA cruise. You overnight in both Maui and Kauai, so there is no need to rush back to the ship that first day. Most people rent cars and go it sans tours. Cars are parked overnight near the ship. Much more reasonable than tour prices per person. You can easily set up your day to keep the kids happy with beach breaks and whatever you wish. No need to book a tour unless you want something like a snorkel trip.

You did not ask about the Big Island ports, so maybe you already have plans, but I'll memtion it for what it's worth. Snorkeling was suggested, but with a 3.5 year old, I can see some drawbacks for some of the trips like Molokini or a Zodiac. We did the Fair Wind when we ported in Kona, and these people are fantastic with the kids! The bay they take you to by the Captain Cook Monument is in a very protected with crystal clear water and shallow. No waves. Lots of different types of flotation devices and those viewing screens you place on top of the water and look through to see the fish for little ones who can't put their faces under with a mask. Perfect for small kids. They cook lunch on board. The Captain is very personable and entertained us on the way back. He really gives the kids lots of attention and let's them take their turns at the wheel. They were eating it up, so be sure to be up top on the way back.

Edited by punkincc

Why don't you google each of the ports and check the tourism sites that come up and see what child friendly activities come up. As someone said above, you don't have to do excursions. How about going to a beach? If your ship docks at Nawilliwilli, there's a beach that's near the Anchor Cove shopping center. Some people will walk over there, but there's a free trolley that will take you. Then it's a pretty short walk to the beach. Bring some beach toys (pail and shovel). You can also take the free shuttle for Hilo Hattie's to take you to their Lihue store, which is pretty fun to shop in. We beached it for our first two Hawaiian cruises, but the last time w did the Movies and Waterfall tour (booked through Princess), which my family loved, but your little ones may be too young for that one.

• 4 months later...

Don't discount the kids program on the ship. We were on the PoA last year and our 4 year old loved the splash academy - in fact he enjoyed it much more than the days where he came ashore with us. Everyone else was happier too. Each day was long and hot which doesn't lead to happy 4 year olds.

We also had two 7 year olds and an 8 year old who came ashore most days. They did enjoy the splash academy one day so the adults could go hiking.