Bus to Sapphire beach

diane52

The safaris only go in a clockwise circle. If he was taking you counterclockwise, he may have thought he would charge you taxi rates? If he was a safari, he really wasn't going to the pier. Maybe he thought you needed a real taxi? It is so confusing, it is hard to tell. Because they have taxi plates, the drivers sometimes make it up as they go along.

Please keep in mind that the $2 taxis are meant for the locals, most of whom do not own or have access to a car. This is the only way for them to get to work, home or anywhere. So, I can understand why some of the drivers are hesitant about giving cruise ship passengers a ride. Yes, it is a cheap way for tourists to get around, but at the same time, you may be taking seats from the locals who need them.

BTW-- Sapphire is a beautiful beach and definitely worth going to.

Please keep in mind that the $2 taxis are meant for the locals, most of whom do not own or have access to a car. This is the only way for them to get to work, home or anywhere. So, I can understand why some of the drivers are hesitant about giving cruise ship passengers a ride. Yes, it is a cheap way for tourists to get around, but at the same time, you may be taking seats from the locals who need them.

Thank you for your insightful comment! You are obviously a caring individual.:)

Thanks for this very detailed info!! We are going to be in St. Thomas this coming Sunday and we think we are going to try taking this cheap $2 bus to Sapphire Beach.

questions, how long did the bus ride take?

How long of a walk was it from the bus stop to the beach?

Was it a easy or strenuous walk?

What kind of restaurant/food was available at the beach?

I think the $8 total cost for 2 people is much more affordable than $40 total for a taxi for us. We are trying to maximize our money there and would rather spend that on some food or a bottle of rum to bring back!!

The money saved would purchase 2 bottles of rum....:o

IMHO I think this is a question of value. If a person's time has value (take into consideration the per diem cost of a cruise - or a stay on St. Thomas - and the length of the visit) does a visitor want to spend time waiting for "local" $2.00 safari transportation.

At certain times of the day especially morning and afternoon when residents and students are traveling to and from work and school these vehicles are packed to overflowing. It is not unusual to have to wait for more than one to come by until there is room to board and if there are more than two people traveling together it may be nearly impossible to find a vehicle to accommodate everyone. Also these vehicles stop frequently and every stop takes time. I believe most visitors would prefer to spend their precious time at the beach rather than at a bus stop trying to save a few dollars.

The $2 bus is a great option for folks who are more interested in that experience and don't have plans to spend time at a beach followed by shopping. Excellent for someone staying at Sapphire and going into town and wanting to save money. For someone on a crusie stop looking to budget their money it's an attractive savings, just need to weigh the potential for wasted time. If you're not concerned about maximizing your time it's a viable option, and you may be just fine anyway. The $8 - 10 taxi is the quickest option.

OK we are back from our cruise and did indeed take the bus to Sapphire beach. By direction of the locals, we ended up catching the bus at the hospital which was past Kmart at the end of the street. On the return we were dropped off at a bus stop right at the end of the pier. I understand that the bus makes a figure 8 and that you could actually pick the bus up here even though you will initially be going in the wrong direction, and circling back to the hospital. The hospital is the center crossing of the 8. When I say end of the pier I mean directly in front of the bow of the ship; you can't walk directly there you have to go around a warehouse to Long Bay Rd.

The confusing part for us was figuring out which vehicles to catch. The regular looking small busses are city busses. You don't want them. You are looking for the bench seats on the back of a truck body. I think we missed several busses because they have a taxi light on the front and we didn't think we were looking for a taxi. These "busses" look just like their regular taxis except they are a little older looking. You have to ask for the $2 bus to Sapphire Beach. You need to get off the bus where the sign says Sapphire beach resort. You walk down the road past a guard shack, curving to the left to a small sign that says beach access. The busses only go in one direction so on the way back pick up the bus in the same spot where you got off and continue around the loop.

The beach was beautiful and we had a wonderful day. I highly recommend this beach. The snorkeling was excellent! If you are interested in seeing turtles, stingrays and spotted eagle rays swim out 100 yards directly in front of the dive shop into 10-15 ft of water. If you are interested in seeing fish and coral go to the right side of the beach by the rocks. There are shade trees, bathrooms and changing rooms there. There is also a dive shop to rent equipment, an open shower to rinse your feet and equipment and a security guard walking around. We loved this beach and will certainly return. We spent $8 total for transportation and stayed most of the day. You can't get better value than that for a shore excursion!!

If you have any more questions I will try to answer them. The best thing is just to head in the right direction and ask a few people. You will be able to pick up a bus at one of a few bus stops in the area.

I am assuming there are chairs to rent. Last time we were there the one resort that had rented chairs was closed up over some kind of dispute. They were between wherecI think the dive shop is and the owned codo units all the way to the left

Thanks Diane52, glad you enjoyed your day at Sapphire and had no major delays enroute.

I do appreciate 2PinaColadas post on 11/18 too, sometimes we tourists are too concerned about saving money on vacation - good point! ;)

Yes the seagrass area to the left is a great spot to catch rays and sea turtles, and the reef to the right is excellent. There's a sandy swimming area in between the two.

Whitnee1 yes, Dive In is open again and renting everything they did before.

Thank you for the post-trip report about the bus. Which pier did you dock at? We are on the Regal Princess in Dec and I would love for our family of 4 to be able to catch the bus, but am not sure where we will be docking. Do you know if the bus will pass by both piers?

Also, does the bus stop by the main shopping area where the jewellery and tablecloth shops are located?

For someone who loves the Caribbean, especially during our nasty winters, I have an unhealthy 'icky-ness' about iguanas. One of the nice things about our northern climate is that tropical critters don't stand a chance! Are there an inordinate amount of iguanas on Sapphire? If so, where/how to best avoid them while at the beach?

Thank you for all the info you've posted! I love using public transportation for the cultural experience it provides as well as for the savings.

h-sar you are scheduled to dock at Crown Bay on the west side of Charlotte Amalie, taxi would be $11 - 12pp each way if you want to maximize your time at the beach or have time for shopping after. Sapphire is not overrun with iguanas nor are they going to bother you if you don't harass them.

h-sar you are scheduled to dock at Crown Bay on the west side of Charlotte Amalie, taxi would be $11 - 12pp each way if you want to maximize your time at the beach or have time for shopping after. Sapphire is not overrun with iguanas nor are they going to bother you if you don't harass them.

Oh, trust me, the last thing I'll be doing is harassing the iguanas! Thanks for all your help to everyone on this board. So, are you closer to the North Pole than I am?

Oh, trust me, the last thing I'll be doing is harassing the iguanas! Thanks for all your help to everyone on this board. So, are you closer to the North Pole than I am?

LOL! :p

No you've got me beat!

Sorry can't help with your question on getting the $2 bus from the other side of town as I'm not familiar with the bus route. I thought you could walk from Crown Bay to a spot and meet the $2 bus but it may be too far. Perhaps Ms411, O2B or someone else can help with that.