Queen Mary 2-4th of July

S&G1968

Just got back form the Queen Mary 4th of July cruise/ I was in the Queens Grill and I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful an experience the cruise was.

The food was amazing, the service was amazing, the Butler was amazing. The ship was beautiful.

This was a very relaxing voyage... Even Hurricane Arthur seemed to go softly around the ship as we sailed through 20 foot seas!

Glad you enjoyed the trip. In my view you had the standard experience. There is not such like a downgrade of service on shot trips.

Short trips are ment to infect new passengers with the Cunard virus. The incubation time is usually one week :D

Just got back form the Queen Mary 4th of July cruise/ I was in the Queens Grill and I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful an experience the cruise was.

The food was amazing, the service was amazing, the Butler was amazing. The ship was beautiful.

This was a very relaxing voyage... Even Hurricane Arthur seemed to go softly around the ship as we sailed through 20 foot seas!

Hi Sterlruth. Very happy to read that you had enjoyed the cruise.

Twenty foots seas! Wow, that must have been something to see! Did you have a good view of the ocean from your suite? Were you able to use your balcony much?

There are those that feel QM2 is wasted on cruises and should be used for transatlantic crossings only - but I can't think of a ship I'd rather be on while sailing through a storm.

BTW, I've not experienced the Grills category...did you find it was worth the added cost?

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Glad you enjoyed the trip. In my view you had the standard experience. There is not such like a downgrade of service on shot trips.

Short trips are ment to infect new passengers with the Cunard virus. The incubation time is usually one week :D

This was my first cruise ever and I have to say I have been infected with the Cunard virus, so their plan worked on me:) Just hours after I arrived, I was reminded of a great line from the movie Pretty Woman. Julia Roberts and Richard Gere are all dressed up riding in an elevator (to go to the opera but she does not know that) and she looks at him and says:" In case I forget to tell you later, I had a great time tonight." That's how I felt then entire cruise. Everything about it was awesome!!!!

Hi Sterlruth. Very happy to read that you had enjoyed the cruise.

Twenty foots seas! Wow, that must have been something to see! Did you have a good view of the ocean from your suite? Were you able to use your balcony much?

There are those that feel QM2 is wasted on cruises and should be used for transatlantic crossings only - but I can't think of a ship I'd rather be on while sailing through a storm.

BTW, I've not experienced the Grills category...did you find it was worth the added cost?

Regards,

Salacia

Salacia,

I was on the 9th floor so we we overlooked the lifeboats. Under them of course people were walking and lounging looking out at Sea. We used our balcony everyday. I had coffee brought up by our butler at or around 7 am and then Canapes at 5 pm. Each evening we would retire back tot he balcony to look out over the water. Several nights we left the balcony door open to hear the ocean against the ship.

The QM 2 is built to cut through the rough seas and she did just that... we felt motion but nothing like the Norwegian Dawn which was in port in Boston and left a few hours early as well to avoid being stuck in port with the winds. Our Captain Advised that she was really feeling the rolling of the waves unlike the QM2.

I definitely would suggest the Queens Grill if at all possible followed by the Princess Grill... the level of service and the attention to detail increases- as does the price but the pampering and the style just adds to the nostalgia of the Ocean Liners and the British Style.

We were spoiled, which at the end of the day was exactly what we wanted.

I have the Cunard Fever!

We were also on the Independence Day cruise and also had a wonderful time. Not so fortunate to be in the Queen's Grill class or even Princess Grill, but Britannia for us was just fine.

I was surprised to read about the 20' waves that you mentioned. Was that the last day we were at sea? There were so many "white caps" and the wind was pretty fierce. We wondered how large the waves were but never quite found out. Where did you learn that the waves were 20'? I'd love to use this as cocktail conversation the next time we're at a party. Makes me feel like we are quite the sailors, even though the QM2's stabilizers made the voyage such a smooth one.

l

Salacia,

I was on the 9th floor so we we overlooked the lifeboats. Under them of course people were walking and lounging looking out at Sea. We used our balcony everyday. I had coffee brought up by our butler at or around 7 am and then Canapes at 5 pm. Each evening we would retire back tot he balcony to look out over the water. Several nights we left the balcony door open to hear the ocean against the ship.

The QM 2 is built to cut through the rough seas and she did just that... we felt motion but nothing like the Norwegian Dawn which was in port in Boston and left a few hours early as well to avoid being stuck in port with the winds. Our Captain Advised that she was really feeling the rolling of the waves unlike the QM2.

I definitely would suggest the Queens Grill if at all possible followed by the Princess Grill... the level of service and the attention to detail increases- as does the price but the pampering and the style just adds to the nostalgia of the Ocean Liners and the British Style.

We were spoiled, which at the end of the day was exactly what we wanted.

I have the Cunard Fever!

Hi Sterlruth. Thanks for your reply. From what I've read, it seems that there are fewer complaints from passengers in the Grills as opposed to Britannia Category, which does make the Grills seem a more attractive option. But I don't think I would enjoy the view from a balcony overlooking the lifeboats. (We've had unobstructed balcony cabins on every deck on QM2 except for Decks 9 and 10 - my favorite being Deck 12, and my least favorite is Deck 8).

But it's certainly something to think about: I suppose instead of taking two cruises per year, we could take just one and book a Grills suite, but I think I'd miss my turn at the oars with my fellow rowers :) Cheers, -S.

l

Hi Sterlruth. Thanks for your reply. From what I've read, it seems that there are fewer complaints from passengers in the Grills as opposed to Britannia Category, which does make the Grills seem a more attractive option. But I don't think I would enjoy the view from a balcony overlooking the lifeboats. (We've had unobstructed balcony cabins on every deck on QM2 except for Decks 9 and 10 - my favorite being Deck 12, and my least favorite is Deck 8).

But it's certainly something to think about: I suppose instead of taking two cruises per year, we could take just one and book a Grills suite, but I think I'd miss my turn at the oars with my fellow rowers :) Cheers, -S.

I think if you are a social person, who enjoys the various activities on board and spend little time in your cabin, the only reason to consider it is if you are unhappy with the restaurants.

Because I am a bit of a curmudgeon and prefer spending most, if not all, of my time in my cabin, I want more space, specifically a separate bedroom. The ability to order room service from the Grill menu is also a big plus, at least to me.

This was my first cruise ever and I have to say I have been infected with the Cunard virus, so their plan worked on me:) Just hours after I arrived, I was reminded of a great line from the movie Pretty Woman. Julia Roberts and Richard Gere are all dressed up riding in an elevator (to go to the opera but she does not know that) and she looks at him and says:" In case I forget to tell you later, I had a great time tonight." That's how I felt then entire cruise. Everything about it was awesome!!!!

So glad you enjoyed the trip and hope to meet up with you again some day. My group also had a very lovely time. Katherine

I think if you are a social person, who enjoys the various activities on board and spend little time in your cabin, the only reason to consider it is if you are unhappy with the restaurants.

Because I am a bit of a curmudgeon and prefer spending most, if not all, of my time in my cabin, I want more space, specifically a separate bedroom. The ability to order room service from the Grill menu is also a big plus, at least to me.

Im_Reading, good points - I can understand how the added space and being able to order room service from the Grill's menu can be compelling reasons to book a Grill suite.

We booked a suite once on a Princess ship a few years ago. (It must have been a flash sale because the fare was about the same as it would have been for an unobstructed Britannia balcony on QM2). Like you, we also enjoyed having meals served in our suite, and enjoyed the additional space (including a whirlpool bath) and other amenities.

Regarding the MDR on QM2 - well, quite frankly, I don't consider it fine dining, but it's usually quite acceptable considering that approximately 1,000 dinners are served at each seating. (An added bonus is that I usually loose an average of 3 to 4 pounds during a QM2 voyage of 7 nights or more :)) Happily, we've met many very nice table mates in the MDR which enhanced our enjoyment of the voyages.

Anyway, thanks for your comments; I'll have to give booking a Grill suite more thought for next year. :) Cheers, -S.

Edited by Salacia